• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No restriction

Beegee

Hi all, I have realised in the last 3 or so weeks that I no longer have any restriction in the amount I can eat. I can also eat anything without dumping. :wave_cry:

I wrote an email to my provider and received this response some of it is quite good advice some is disappointing to hear. I am now terrified that I am going to put the weight back on.. this is something that I alone can tackle but in the meantime, I post his response as it may be useful for others.

o The effect of the bypass was going to wear off at some stage. You need to plan for that.
o Weight management is a lifelong proposition
o The surgery helps get your weight down and allows you to see how your weight had developed and the factors involved in maintaining your weight.
o It allows you to implement a ‘better way’ and stick to it.
o Practice makes perfect……..

o Always eat breakfast lunch and dinner – no exceptions, three meals daily – this will diminish the likely hood of a ‘blip’ and eating too much of the wrong thing
o If your not doing the regular ‘balanced’ (quality food, correct ratio of carbs, protein and veg/salad) meals then you stand very little chance of turning this thing around (i.e. long term weight management).
o Don’t miss meals, don’t skimp, and don’t diet. Just eat regular healthy balanced meals…..once this is ‘done’ then by all means enjoy some ‘treat’ foods.

o The surgery is not the solution, you are.
o You need to eat healthy foods 90% of the time, all the time or better………there are no exceptions I’m afraid.
o You need to pay your penance…….you cannot undo years of being overweight and dietary mishaps in just six months to a year…….it takes concerted lifelong effort I am afraid.
o Or at least five years at your ‘ideal weight’ before you stand a chance of remaining a permanent resident in that body, not just a temporary visitor after another cycle of ‘dieting’

o The surgery is just a tool to help see where things were ‘off track’ and to help you plan your diet future and stay on track.
o We need to look at why you’re doing alright 50 to 60% of the time and not 90%.
o There is something that is predisposing you to chocolate, crisps and cheesecake……..
o As mentioned above, the major cause for this is irregular meals and lack of balance of those meals.

o If you are full after the balanced meals, but still crave the snack foods, then the issue is psychological in basis.
o You may then need to look at stress triggers that predispose you to eating those foods.

Hi....sorry, if I mis-read but you only had your surgeon surgery Oct which was approx 12 wks ago? And you have no restrictions already???
Xx

Yes that what I just read too. I agree with the advice but that would be suitable to someone like me to help carry on the good work.

Thanks very much for putting that on......I am the same can eat anything and no dumping..... but im 10 months post opp.
Like the previous before me 12 weeks is so short of a time and think you should get a 2nd opinion like said before me...... After my bypass I was so restircted at 12 weeks.
I would speak to your team again hun xxx

Thanks it has only been 12 weeks.. but in fact less than that as I have had no restriction for weeks. I am still trying to maintain small plate small meals but I am not loosing any more than a 1/2 pound or a pound a week. I also have a very stressful job and I am finding it increasingly tough to resist not chowing down on a packet of biscuits when yet another thing goes wrong at work... I have lost 60 pounds in total.. if someone told me that was all I was going to loose then I would be happy with that just so long as I don't put it on.. but I am so scared that my bloody head is going to start saying feed me feed me... I have my first appointment with dietician next week so I can discuss with her then. Thanks all.

Beegee will you put a sample of your menu up so we can look at it and maybe help that way x YOu KNOW I have always found that if you eat solid things ie chicken breast by the time you have eaten that you are absolutely stowed off with little room to eat anything else with out major pain or uncomfortableness some are sick. Try and eta all protein 1st slider foods just slide straight down and out the pouch, also drinking with meals. xx

Looks like a fantastically comprehensive reply and says it all. Now you just need to put it into practise. Far easier said than done :(. One step at a time. We are what we eat :(

Good luck !

just a quick one are you eating a lot of 'slider' foods? As i find im a lot lot hungrier when i do this and can eat a lot more. Might be an idea to switch things up if you are get on the chicken train!

Hi Beegee,

So sorry to hear you are having no restriction. I find that I can eat more now than I could a few weeks ago and so far nothing I have eaten has made me sick. I have had bouts of diarrhoea though. I find I have more restriction if I eat more solid foods then when I have soft foods. Like you my weightloss has slowed down considerably although I still refuse to weigh myself. My dietitians appointment has been cancelled from next week and put back to March. I will be very interested to see what advice you are given next week. Wishing you all the best. Take care.

When you say you have no restriction, does that mean you can eat exactly as you could pre-op? Or is it that your restriction us not as much as you expected? I agree with Chrisa, if you put your menu up, perhaps we can help?

Thank you everyone... . Im vegetarian so this maybe different from what you are all eating so on a daily basis I can eat a normal size meal, and if I go out to dinner then I can eat a restaurant portion without difficulty. I don't drink with my meals but occasionally take a few little sips if the food is dry. I couldn't eat my big pre-op meals... but I can eat several normal size meals throughout the day. I have given up all fizzy drinks including my beloved Peroni as I know they can stretch your pouch.

Currently breakfast is either small bowl of museli or two small slices of brown toast with peanut butter and sliced banana on the top.

Snacks fruit, nuts, yoghurt or a Graze pack

Lunch, jacket potato beans, salad or cheese salad

Evening meal, bowl of veggie chili con carne or similar homemade Quorn dish, served with salad or veg.

I can eat chocolate so I am eating the odd bar of chocolate too. Not bars.. still just the odd singular bar.. but as I say I am in this position due to lack of willpower coupled with an underactive thyroid so I am terrified of putting the weight back on as I cant do this on my own... not long term anyway.

Hi Beegee,

So sorry to hear you are having no restriction. I find that I can eat more now than I could a few weeks ago and so far nothing I have eaten has made me sick. I have had bouts of diarrhoea though. I find I have more restriction if I eat more solid foods then when I have soft foods. Like you my weightloss has slowed down considerably although I still refuse to weigh myself. My dietitians appointment has been cancelled from next week and put back to March. I will be very interested to see what advice you are given next week. Wishing you all the best. Take care.

Sorry to hear its been cancelled our appointments were booked the same time, but I haven't heard anything about mine being cancelled.. I really hope it wont be....

Well doesn't look too bad could may be try n cut out the chocolate if you struggling now to keep sweet stuff at bay it will be harder as you continue. Thankfylly I didn't try it for a good while but I am fighting it now it calls my name if its in my cupboard. Keep the foo on ya little teap plate can someone give her the ratio please of food is it half protein then small amount of carbs then rest fruit or veg. Look at potrtion control. But it doesn't look too bad, do you not feel full on beans n jacke t potato cos they really both bloat me out. Put knif n fork down between each mouthful and learn to time your food, che w each mouthful think its 10 to 20 times. Gives your bidy time to feel full then you will probably find you don't need as much. x drink plenty water and keep ya protein up and exercise xx

It sounds like you have a large capacity. At 12 weeks you qre ptetty much healed, the swelling has gone down, and your capacity becomes evident. But you aren't the only one, I can eat relatively large portions. And if we choose we could eat pretty much every hour, the surgery doesn't stop that unfortunately. All is not lost, you can turn it around. It takes determination, you have got this far. You need to find a way to work with it, and it will be personal to you.

Last edited:
Beegee my love appears once again you and I are in a similar place. As you know I had my op just a few days before you and I myself don't seem to have much restriction. Can also eat anything without dumping, although I am staying away from the bad stuff. My weight loss has been horribly slow :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

That reply has some correct stuff but horribly worded!! "You need to pay your penance"!!!
As if obese people aren't hounded enough! No wonder you're worried hon!

Do you drink a lot of fluids? I found that has really helped with my losses. I'm 12 weeks out too but probably completely opposite! Massive restriction and never hungry.

Don't beat yourself up. 60lbs is a great loss. Hugs x

Cheers everyone.. I am exercising more than ever before. I swim nearly every day and I am running on my treadmill once or twice a week.. plus I have a vicious personal trainer who comes to my house once a week... so I feel my current weight loss is due to exercising and not by the volume of food I am eating. I think I will start a food diary which I can take with me to my appointment next week.

Hopefully, I can turn this around .... thanks again everyone for your support..

Beegee my love appears once again you and I are in a similar place. As you know I had my op just a few days before you and I myself don't seem to have much restriction. Can also eat anything without dumping, although I am staying away from the bad stuff. My weight loss has been horribly slow :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh dear what are we like....

Interesting I've done pretty much no exercise since op! Went swimming once and mainly did handstands lol.

When I lost 5 stone with slimming world I was doing about 7 hours a week exercise and my weight plateaued.

This time, I've decided to get rid of the bulk of weight then step up the exercise and tone myself up.

Our bodies are strange things :) x

Back