• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nobody to relate to anymore on this site..just really fed up with abdomen problems

My bloating was due to hyponatremia, I was diagnosed just before Christmas. I have a strong saline solution added to my feed and it was an instant cure to being several months up the duff every night which was really sore.

When I bloat up jemima my tummy goes really hard...it's quite sore.
I've even had to buy maternity jeans to help when I know it's starting...it's a bit embarrassing when I'm not pregnant!

I have adhesions from a previous surgery. My surgeon separated them during my WLS but the pain is coming back again. My GP said they wouldn't separate them again as every time they do more grow. She told me it was something I would have to manage. Sometimes the pain stops me in my tracks. She gave me mediation which I have to take going to bed every night which she said numbs the nerve endings. I am avoiding taking them right now because the pain is intermittent. But if it gets back to the pain levels before my surgery I may have to take them .....for life ;-(

This is a very interesting thread.
I am both long & short term too,having had a band 9 years ago then revision to a bypass 4 weeks ago.
I think perhaps we need to accept that there are side-effects to bariatric procedures but may that's better than staying the size we were.
Also we need to remember that not all symptoms that we get after our ops are definitely due to the op, there are so many other health problems that anyone can get .....

This is a very interesting thread.
I am both long & short term too,having had a band 9 years ago then revision to a bypass 4 weeks ago.
I think perhaps we need to accept that there are side-effects to bariatric procedures but may that's better than staying the size we were.
Also we need to remember that not all symptoms that we get after our ops are definitely due to the op, there are so many other health problems that anyone can get .....

Absolutely. None of us were in impeccable pre-op so it isn't fair to entirely blame the op for every complication. However there are long term issues and it needs people who are long term to relate to them. Approaching six months post conversion now and I'd like to know what's typical for the blood tests, expected weight loss and measures for excess skin removal that can be considered. These are reasons why I appreciate those who have stuck around and I also intend to at least regularly visit when things have stabilised and I've got my fitness back. Another is medical procedures that were refused due to 'needing to lose too much weight to be considered' - well, I've lost the weight but I bet they still won't consider me for a hip resurfacing.

This is a very interesting thread. I am both long & short term too,having had a band 9 years ago then revision to a bypass 4 weeks ago. I think perhaps we need to accept that there are side-effects to bariatric procedures but may that's better than staying the size we were. Also we need to remember that not all symptoms that we get after our ops are definitely due to the op, there are so many other health problems that anyone can get .....

I think I can safely say my symtoms are due to this surgery....even when I was large,I never ever suffered with any types of stomach complaints.
I think when considering this type of surgery we should be more informed of "possible side effects".
I think I may have thought twice about having this bypass in all honesty.

Absolutely. None of us were in impeccable pre-op so it isn't fair to entirely blame the op for every complication. However there are long term issues and it needs people who are long term to relate to them. Approaching six months post conversion now and I'd like to know what's typical for the blood tests, expected weight loss and measures for excess skin removal that can be considered. These are reasons why I appreciate those who have stuck around and I also intend to at least regularly visit when things have stabilised and I've got my fitness back. Another is medical procedures that were refused due to 'needing to lose too much weight to be considered' - well, I've lost the weight but I bet they still won't consider me for a hip resurfacing.

Sadly not many long termers are about Marcus,I'm sick of my own voice so due to this I don't come on here much.
But it's also due to the fact I'm regretting my bypass at times,and don't want to dampen the "honeymoon folks"
With my negative posts...as I can remember a long time ago in the begginning everything was all rosey and I loved my bypass,my old posts show this.
Even though I'm almost 5yrs Marcus I still have a yearly check up with baratrics with full blood,and check all levels are ok.
But due to defiencies I have had bloods done more often...
And my B12 every 3 mths :)

I hope they find out what it is for you and can fix it. This is no life and I'm not surprised you're fed up to the back teeth. You're probably also depressed from coping with the constant pain. I have a daughter with ME and EDS and she is in constant pain and when I see the stress, anxiety and depression she goes through I just wish I could take it all away and make it better. When I read your thread I felt exactly the same. Such pain makes life so hard and my heart goes out to you. I sincerely hope they can get to the bottom of this and help you. Isabella x

I hope they find out what it is for you and can fix it. This is no life and I'm not surprised you're fed up to the back teeth. You're probably also depressed from coping with the constant pain. I have a daughter with ME and EDS and she is in constant pain and when I see the stress, anxiety and depression she goes through I just wish I could take it all away and make it better. When I read your thread I felt exactly the same. Such pain makes life so hard and my heart goes out to you. I sincerely hope they can get to the bottom of this and help you. Isabella x

Thanks Isabella...I do feel an ungrateful sod when I do say I regret this surgery....I wouldnt wish this on anyone who's had these surgeries....and I know my mum also wishes I'd not had it done :-(

Hi Emma Louise I hear ya and understand, I suffer as you know but not as much as you. I will never be slim but a lot slimmer than I used to be before this op. I have regular B12's n a yearly blood test. 4 years post op in August. Hope these tests give you some answers with what is wrong its time they found out whats giving you so much pain day in day out. xxxx Thinking of ya. I understand what you saying I hardly chat on here now also only exceptional cases. It sometimes feels like we have no place here anymore, just how we feel its not really true. xx

Hi Emma Louise I hear ya and understand, I suffer as you know but not as much as you. I will never be slim but a lot slimmer than I used to be before this op. I have regular B12's n a yearly blood test. 4 years post op in August. Hope these tests give you some answers with what is wrong its time they found out whats giving you so much pain day in day out. xxxx Thinking of ya. I understand what you saying I hardly chat on here now also only exceptional cases. It sometimes feels like we have no place here anymore, just how we feel its not really true. xx

Hi there Chrisa...
To be honest I'm more busy these days as I've a new job in education so it's been a blessing to take my mind of my daft tummy!
Still got your number so I'll text you if I get an outcome of the hospital,I'm dreading them telling me they can't find anything(not that I'm wishing anything bad on myself)I just want to be happy again and active! X

It sometimes feels like we have no place here anymore, just how we feel its not really true. xx

Can I just say that as a complete newbie at the very beginning of my journey that from my perspective you're totally wrong. It's people like you both that I'm desperate to hear from. I'm excited to be having surgery because I want my health back and want to be slim. However I want to be going into this with my eyes wide open. Yes I love reading all the posts and diaries of those in the "honeymoon" stage because that of course is very encouraging. BUT, and it's a big but, I'm not a flamingo and I dont want to bury my head in the sand. I'm desperate to hear how long timers are faring. This is the stuff the surgeons don't tell you. They pull out their pretty graphs and say 5+ years only x amount have put weight on. Us pre-opers then think fantastic! However as this thread is demonstrating that's not the full picture, and I don't see anyone correlating the sort of issues highlighted on here. So please all "veterans" of wls your experience and advice is invaluable. Please don't feel unwanted or that because your experience ultimately becomes a negative one that no-one wants to hear it. Speaking personally I'm deeply grateful for this thread and for all information on wls both positive and negative.

I agree it really is beneficial to hear from long timers on both the positives and negatives as I don't think the docs give us a really accurate picture of long term.

I was really surprised recently to be turned down for critical illness insurance because of my bypass. I was furious as this is the healthiest i've been in years. I'm now a smidge away from normal bmi, I no longer take the huge amount of medication I had to take before and I'm fitter than I've ever been. My bp, cholesterol and sugar are all normal. Considering the types of illness/conditions covered by critical illness I'm dumbfounded that they consider having a bypass poses too high a risk of claiming on these.

It really made me wonder what information they have about the long term effects after bypass :(

That's a very good point. Makes you wonder what stats are out there (after all all insurance companies live and breathe stats) but are not being made available to the general public.

Interesting. When I had problems with my band I was diagnosed with EDS type 3 Hypermobile type but after the band was shown to be the cause of some symptoms it was 'downgraded' to BJHMS and ME.

I have some contacts and information relating to EDS that you might be interested in. I can't send a private message as you're a new member - perhaps you can message me through one of the social media links on my profile.

Interesting. When I had problems with my band I was diagnosed with EDS type 3 Hypermobile type but after the band was shown to be the cause of some symptoms it was 'downgraded' to BJHMS and ME. I have some contacts and information relating to EDS that you might be interested in. I can't send a private message as you're a new member - perhaps you can message me through one of the social media links on my profile.

What a load of codswallop!!! (I mean the docs not you Marcus)
There is a growing body of evidence and much debate that hypermobility EDS is the same as BJHMS. I don't see how a diagnosis can be 'downgraded' as the two are both varying in severity. For example I have EDS but I know a few people who are diagnosed with BJHMS that are far more affected than I am and are in wheelchairs etc
As for ME it is commonly misdiagnosed (along with fibromyalgia) and thought by many to be part of EDS - fatigue and brain fog are common symptoms.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert but these blinking doctors drive me mad - they just don't get it!!!!! I've had my diagnosis questioned by a gp even though it was one of the leading professionals in the field of EDS that diagnosed me!
I am worried about how the EDS will affect the bypass and vice versa in the long term but on the plus side I am exceptionally pleased that I am pretty much pain free (most of the time), fatigue has massively improved and off the large amounts of medication after my op..... So far so good :)

Su2ie - the differentiation seems to be that BJHMS is the less serious version. There isn't an accepted convention on this but I've read this on a number of EDS forums with a recognition that it just means lacking in the most severe symptoms but it's still a form of EDS. OF course when I sublux my jaw I recognise it's there, or when I get hip pains walking short distances... But I also think about EDS friends who dislocate multiple times every day and who can't leave a wheelchair.

I have hypermobile type 3 EDS will classical crossover. Until just over a year ago I was someone who had a lot of joint pain (which was assumed to be because of weight) and could do a few tricks with 'double joints' and stretchy skin but a physio picked up on the hypmobility syndrome and my GP first used EDS as a possibility and I've assumed that was the case. The chronic pain turned out to be from a severely eroded gastric band (which I had suggested but it was dismissed over a number of years) that was treated in Belgium (band removal and repair) and I went back to the same hospital for a RNY five months later. My GP later commented that without the pain symptoms the 'escalation' to treatment for EDS needed to be reversed and treatment for Benign Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (BJHMS) was more appropriate.

Back on topic there are a couple of FB groups I'm a member of related to EDS that are secret groups, so I need to send invites.

That is quite worrying about insurance. I like Emma Louise am quite busy with work but I understand what you are saying. I have always tried to help anyone who wants it. That is my nature to help if I can. I will be 4 years post in August and had BYPASS. My tummy can react on occasions some occasions it has lasted a week then I can go a little while without any then it will rear its ugly head. Tuesday this week I was due for my smear at gp's. I woke up on the morning needing loo I went and then on leaving the house I had crampy pains, I have a10 minute walk to Gp surgery. After 5 minutes in the surgery and constant cramps I had to use the toilet. So grateful that I went then I was worried sick incase anything happened whilst having my smear. On coming out of the loo my name was called out to see nurse. Boy was I chuffed. It leaves my tummy upset and feeling bruised for a few days. The pain can be horrendous. One night I had to ring 111 was soo bad. My pain tends to be on the left hand side. I have managed to gain around 2 stone. I started my journey at just under 25 stone all be it about a 2 pounds. I am now sitting at 17st. I did get down to 14.6 at lowest but could not holdit there and it stayed at 1413 for a year or so. In the last year and half I have gained this 2 stone. I feel healthy am annoyed that I am back to 20-22 clothes but much healthier than being 32-34. I think this is me now I cannot see it going lower. I am still tyring but often fall short. Good luck with your journey. xx

Back