• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not eating enough!!!

Cath860

Saw the dietitian this week, first time post-op (I'm almost 12 wks). She's very nice, but she did give me grief for not eating enough (for the first time in my life!!!).

She also said I wasn't getting enough protein in. This is mainly because I've been so sick, only in the last week have I been able to eat more texture.

Hopefully my weight loss will pick up now as I've probably been eating less than 800 cals a day. Apparently this isn't enough! I do have to force myself though, plus it's hard to get over the mindset of being on a diet = eating as little as possible. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!!

I am the same with my diet eating only 500 a day but my dietician gave me support said to try fridge raiders chicken and try lentil soup for lunch all good for protein
But said just call her any time for help feel the advice we get is so hit and miss and think a lot off us are left out there but I have found reading what other people eat really helpfull and get great ideas from it too
Good luck

THe hospital I had my op at don't count grams or calories just amount of portions, 6 portions of protein, 1 yoghurt 1 protein, 1 egg 1 protein, just have to use a diet sheet cfrom hospital then adapt it to suit your diet soon get used to what aportion is x

Saw the dietitian this week, first time post-op (I'm almost 12 wks). She's very nice, but she did give me grief for not eating enough (for the first time in my life!!!).

She also said I wasn't getting enough protein in. This is mainly because I've been so sick, only in the last week have I been able to eat more texture.

Hopefully my weight loss will pick up now as I've probably been eating less than 800 cals a day. Apparently this isn't enough! I do have to force myself though, plus it's hard to get over the mindset of being on a diet = eating as little as possible. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!!

I still haven't seen the dietician yet but I've got an appointment for the 22nd of jan. I think I might get the same reaction. I usually can't manage more than 800 cals max. Although some days I do get a lot of protein. I hope you don't mind me asking but how did she determine this? Did you give her a rough idea of what you are eating or did you write it down? I was told not to count cals but I find it difficult to do that, especially when I want to keep an eye on my protein. I want to be prepared for my appointment, and seeing as you go to the same hospital would love to hear how it goes? Thanks :) Must be nice to be told you aren't eating enough for a change but I hope she gave you some ideas for introducing more protein? x

I can't eat very much & have intolerances to meat & poultry. I use pro shot protein drinks 25g protein per shot & protein shakes to supplement. My dietician said it is not ideal but better having that than nothing. My vegetarian protein is not enough as one needs to eat quite a bit if volume to get the right level of protein. I can't eat much volume at all.

Thanks for suggestions - I still can't eat eggs or chicken, it will be much easier when I can. I might get some protein shots in sounds handy and at least I'll know I'm doing the best I can!

Shelley Marie I tried to PM you about the dietitian but not sure it worked - let me know!!

Last edited:
Got them on line but word of warning they are very sweet - artificial sweetener nut sugar - berry one better than orange one. Only 88 ml in total for 25 g protein so I just grin & bear it sipping slowly. Good luck.

If you need to keep a record of your intake in terms of calories, protein, carbs, vitamins and such, I found MyFitnessPal really useful. Of course other food diary sites are available but I like that one :) I can see at a glance which food is providing what kind of nutrition and the discipline of recording everything really helps with keeping it all under control, if you see what I mean.

Back