• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not getting that full feeling

It’s now been 14 days since my bypass and I’m noticing a few things when eating and drinking that aren’t clearly explained in the bumf you get.
You’re told to drink half an hour before eating and to leave it half an hour after eating. But I’m finding that providing I sip I can drink endlessly at a similar rate to pre op volumes which suggests its passing straight through and its doesn’t fill me. Is this normal? Also on a similar vain when eating thin puree I find this doesn’t seem to hit a full level ether Saying that I don’t feel hungry and feel I’m eating because I known I should rather than want to. Heavier purees do hit a fill level and the speed at which I can drink the protein shakes is slower than other liquids like tea and coffee. But I am mixing yogurt and fruit with these as I find them far to sweet on there own. Am I right in thinking the full feelings and need for better volume control will come when I move onto soft solids and beyond or should I bring this up with my consultant? :confused:

Big Al, firstly you are not told to drink half hour before eating.... What it really means is don't eat within half hour of finishing a meal, not that you have to have a drink....

As for restriction, you won't feel it on soups n fluids, when you start on puree's and stuff with a bit more solidity you will feel your restriction mate...

Oh yeah and the drinking after, it's basically leave it at least 30 minutes before you drink after eating...

you'll get there xx

In the early days it does feel as if all you are doing is eating and drinking, but things do get easier with time so don't worry too much at this stage. General rule is don't drink anything if you are planning on eating in the next half an hour, and after eating, don't drink anything for half an hour. This is because the fluid can flush food from your pouch into your intestines too quickly, which could make you dump, or make you to feel hungry again too soon after eating. That said, you are right in that at the minute, while you are on liquids/pureed/sloppy foods, you are unlikely to feel any great restriction as these types of foods will literally act as fluids and go through your pouch quite quickly. You will notice a difference when you get onto more solid foods.

Last edited:
My post was a bit wonky wasn't it? Sorry i'm confused now lol :) Thanks Angie...

What i was saying was you don't have to have a drink half hour before eating if you don't want one x

Great advice already given. It's really good you can drink a lot as the fluid intake in the first few weeks is very important. Keep up with the sipping.

You'll find when you get onto solid food, you have a feeling of fullness easily. It might be worth slowing down your eating/eating with a small spoon now, to better prepare yourself for the next stage. Eating too fast at that stage can make you feel very uncomfortable.
But it sounds like you're doing great.
Grace xx

Back