• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not tough love but patronising

waynetta

I'm on the losers Rd.
I have already posted this on the end of the Tough love thread, but wanted to start another thread to continue the debate, but also to ask the question is it tough love or patronising?

Your completely right Sam ( and this is only my opinion), you don't have the privilege of an opinion on post operative eating habits, until you have experienced the pain & anguish of such invasive surgery, for yourself. Until you have had the surgery, I personally (and this is only my opinion) would rather you did not comment on what we do or do not eat. Some of us don’t want to be size 8/10 anorexic, because weight and food are no longer going to be allowed to dominate our every waking moment. I am not willing to deny myself anything that I may or may not want, as I have expunged all the guilt, which we have all accumulated over the years, through eating the forbidden fruits.
I feel very disappointed at your comments, as I did not realise that you were so self-righteous. I have learnt through the years “those who live in glass houses should not throw stones”, because I’m sure you would not like people to make you feel a failure and self-conscious if you do not adhere to a strict eating regime, once you’ve had your surgery.
In my mind (and again, this is only my opinion) a friend is someone who does not thrust ones inadequacies into ones face. A friend would understand that sometimes being a good friend is not about pointing out failings, but finding a positive, as there is always a positive somewhere, if only you can be bothered to look for it. In my case the positive was that I only ate the burger meat and not the bun & sauce nor any sides. Also I will not be craving the offending item again, as I have quashed the craving by not denying myself. If I had not indulged, the desire would have mushroomed into something larger than just a longing for one item of junk food.
However, you seemed to have had a knee jerk reaction to something that you have read and not understood. As it is not guilt that makes me record my daily food intake, it is merely an aid to see how much I do actually eat and what I should be doing to improve my bad eating habits. I do realise my own failings and do not need to be reminded of them. I am a work in progress and the surgery was only the beginning of a long and harsh journey towards my desired goal. Things do not nor cannot just change over night.
I feel that this is an issue that should be and has already been debated publicly and I’m sure many will have differing opinions. I am open to constructive criticism, but not to being patronised, as if I was a child. I have felt like others, who should understand, were judging me and my eating habits for a while now and I have had enough of that from the world at large. I come on to minimins to get advice and support not criticism. I don’t believe I am the only person who may feel this way. This is not a fallout or dig it is merely a response. I am here for support and to give support and I hope that all of my friends on here continue to be my friends and I will continue wholeheartedly to support you all.

I have not pm’d you Sam as I want to get this out on the forum and debated properly and truthfully. Tbh I did not think you should have written what you did to me, as you are not in this position yet to comment on this side of the wls journey quite yet, I will however, always value your advice friendship.

Last edited:
Some good points Allie- guilt in particular is the most useless and I think destructive emotion there is. I expect all of us here have had to cope with it over the years and a lot of us will have been our own worst critics.
I think Sam brought up a very useful debate - but as with any debate there are many issues within it - some may ring true with each individual and some may not. And some, can be hurtful to people. This is a helpful and supportive forum and I hate to think in my own short time here that people will find it hard to post anything negative. This is sad and I'm sure no-one would want this. We have to put a face/mask on to deal with the world outside, and sometimes in the home. It would be dreadful if people felt they had to put a face on here - it would make things unreal. I do appreciate the debate that has been raised though, hopefully people will see it for what it is - a debate. And we can learn from all types of responses this generates.

i can see both sides of the coin and i understand both sides, but im not gonna take sides, we are all here to recieve and give support, after all thats what minis was set up 4, i love u all but i dont wanna take sides you are all my friends and i love u all and respect everyones opinions with the upmost respect.

liz x

Hi Allie, I can also see both sides but won't comment because I'm pre op and untill I'm post op I feel I'm not at liberty to say anything because I don't know what I myself will be like untill then.
Take care and hope you're ok. xx Gaynor xx

hello!
none of you will really know me as this is my first post on wls but i had been kicking around this site a while.

I've been reading all your posts for a while now, but im finally in a position to post as i have access on a comp not a crappy phone :)

Im pre op, should be done in a month or so.

And i have to say, almost everyone post op will eat something "bad". And i honestally dont see the problem in the occasional edulgance, as long as thats all it is. I know for sure i don't want to feel as though im on a diet forever, and i have to watch what i eat all the time, i dont want food to have that control on me any longer.

Clearly if someone is continuing to just pile junk into themselfs and not loose weight then they shouldnt have bothered having wls, and what they are doing is wrong.

When people say "oh its okay we all have slip ups" they say it because its true.

Hell if there is someone out there who never eats something bad for them again post op... then im bloody impressed.

I don't understand why some people will sit and eat a whole cake, clearly thats a problem they have. and if its the norm for them, then they have a problem.

i dont think ANYONE on this site would tell someone its okay to eat a whole cake, or a whole pack biscuits.. but most will forgive a biscuit or a slice of cake.

all i know is i want to get to a point where i can eat the same way other people do. where i can eat a bit of cake if i want, and not feel guilty and not worry about what effect it will have.

we have to remember, most people have the odd treat... and it really is a case of everything in moderation.

I guess people who have had wls just need to not let it get out of control...

And for some people this will be a problem... and for others it wont!

( i know cake is mentioned a lot in this post.... im really not obbsessed with cake... tbh... i dont even like cake all that much.. pasta though....)

Hi and welcome to minis....a great post chick....its so true all things in moderation...and even before surgery I have never been able to eat a full cake the thought now makes me heave lol....xx

thanks =)

oh and just incase i haven't already said it enough today... cake... cakey cakey cake cake.

lol

.x.

just a tip cake isnt good 4 banders and it wont restrict the amount of it that can be consumed.

liz

*i, in no way endorse the use of cake*

lol

.x.

i have to admit, looking back at my posts, anyone would think i was sent from a cake company to brainwash you all into caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake... im really not helping am i?!

.x.

Back