• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Now very worried - Addiction Transfer and Slowing Weight Loss ?

Undecided

Hi All

I'm now very worried.

I was reading last night about people not feeling the effects of the surgery after 6 months. Do we really go through all this for it to only work for 6 months ?!

Also, I saw something in a magazine about a month ago about addition transfer. I mentioned it on here and someone said there was a discussion about it. I've JUST found the discussion thread and more articles.

I'm now VERY worried. My surgery is possibly in 10 days and I'm worried that the effects won't last very long and it will all be for nothing. I'm also worried about addiction transfer. My sister is a full blown alcoholic and I didnt think it would be a problem for me as I dont drink AT ALL after seeing what it does to families (she was so sick of it herself that she took a massive overdose a few weeks ago).

Anyway some of the comments on the articles said that before surgery they didnt drink at all, and are now full blown alcoholics ! Why isnt this mentioned as you go through the process ? Addiction transfer wasnt mentioned at all to me, and now I'm VERY worried.

Will I end up having this not work in 6 months time AND being an alcoholic ? I couldnt handle that. I know what it does to your life, and to your family.

I don't even know now if I can go through with this, and if there's even any point ! :-(

Hi Undecided

For every person that suffers from anything you have mentioned in your post, there are countless hundreds who everything works fine for.

Re: the alcoholism thing. I have no idea of the background to it all but my father was an alcoholic and my sister is an alcoholic and I will not be going down the same path. Operation or not. Why would I?

Can I make the following suggestion:-
Follow your pre-op diet plan. Look at before and after pictures. Besides that, step away from Google and the internet. The internet and media are full of horror stories as it is these stories that make them money.

Feeling nervous is one thing and perfectly natural, but worrying yourself sick like you are over it is detrimental to your wellbeing. I really would recommend sticking purely to before and after pictures on this forum and leaving Google alone.

I hope I don't come over as nasty, just concerned about you x

considering u dont drink now i dont think u will start drinking post surgery.

good luck and think positive :D

I think a really well put post actually Sue xxx Thankyou x
I take a very dim view of a lot of these "articles" we have popping up here and elsewhere because they cause more concern than is necessary.
I always ignore a lot of what's reported in the press as the bulk of these things are badly researched and sloppy about correct details and full facts.

If you want to find out about medical issues concerning your surgery, you need to pay attention to your own surgeon and team, they know you and your body and that's what matters here.

As far as everything else, who better to help you than people on this site who you can ask directly about how things have affected them, how they cope with life and what it is actually like , good and bad.

Forget the media/press/quoted articles and get the real info straight from genuine people who care and understand and who will be honest with you, happily most of our members are just such people.

We do not have people sugar coating the reality or focusing on the negative either. We have real experience and most are willing to reassure you and help you along the way with anything that is concerning you xxxxx

Take care and try not to worry x

I am 12 months out and my bypass is still working. OK I may only lose a pound a week (But I am nearing my target) and sometimes I put a pound a week on (and lose it the next week)
I have been told that the first 6 months are the best weight lose but you should still lose weight up to 18 months with out much work.
BUT some people on here have stalled some have slowed down some have even put some back on in the first 6 months.
This operation is a TOOL and you have to work at it like all diets/ healthy eating plans. You didn't put all the weight on in 6 months so don't expect to lose it all in 6 months.

As for the drinking why would you suddenly start drinking if you haven't done so in the past.
I don't know of anyone suddenly deciding to take up smoking just because they are on a diet

Hi Undecided,

I have a lot of fears too about how I'm going to cope post op. The strange thing is though that none of these fears occured until very recently, as the op grows ever near. So I think perhaps it might be my brain trying once again to sabotage myself.
The pre-op diet will be a good way to practice coping without comfort food. See how you react to stressors during this time. If you're not drinking alcohol, punching people, self harming or smoking by the time your surgery date arrives, I think you'll be fine.

Forewarned is forearmed. It's the people who don't read up on WLS beforehand who probably end up in trouble, whereas we have made sure we are prepared.

I am thinking that maybe the people who turn to drink have lost weight only to find it was not the issue that was getting them down, so they look for a crutch, as food can no longer be it.

I really do not think that all who are addcited to food transfer that addiction into something negative.

Maybe you will become addicted to shopping for slim clothes, the gym, healthy food, long walks, mountaineering, sky diving.....anything! lol

Think positive and you will continue to think positive.

A quote I love from the book 'The Secret' is: 'Your life is what you thought it would be'

So if you set it in your mind now that you will lose for 6 months, then struggle, then turn to vodka because biscuits can no longer comfort.....Then there is a good chance it will happen that way.

I think you will be fine and love your new life. Keep that thought in mind and then tell me in a few months I was right lol (something I LOVE to hear)

(((hugs))) to you. Nerves can be a difficult thing, but are totally natural xxx

some brilliant replies already.

Just to add, that your bypass doesnt only work for 6 months. It will work for the rest of your life but the rapid weight loss faze only lasts for around 6 months or so ON AVERAGE. We are all different though.

To give you an idea of my weight loss, at 6 months post op I was about 5 1/2 stone down. By 12 months post op I was about 7 1/2 stone down. Now at 20 months post op I am 9 stone down so if you keep working at it the weight will continue to come off.

As for addiction transfer, if this is something you are worried about then make a concerted effort to get addicted to something positive! Drinking water, or exercising. There are good things to be "addicted to" as well as bad.

Hi Suepat

The info wasn't from Google. The first thing I saw was in a magazine, the rest were links to articles on here. However, it wasn't the articles themselves that worried me (ok, one person affected - could be a blip). It was more the comments OTHER people had posted underneath the stories. Lots of "thank god I'm not alone", "my wife / mother is exactly the same" etc.

I'm not trying to freak anyone else out. I've only told one person about the op, and they are too worried to discuss it with me, so I havent really had anyone to talk to. I'm talking on here because there ARE things that I think should be considered. As I said I don't drink, but like i said the comments from other people said they didnt either. This is the first time I've heard that.

As for concentrating on the diet, I haven't even got the diet sheet yet. I'm not sure what i'm meant to be eating, and am a bit worried that it's only 15 days to go, and that i might not even be on it long enough. I don't know if it's the milk diet / liver reducing diet i'm meant to be on, or what the difference is (if any). I was too shocked to ask about it yesterday during the call. I was expecting them to want to confirm some details etc. I always presumed the op date would be given via letter, not a call.

I do understand that it's just a tool, but I thought that the dumping etc happened to everyone and lasted for ever. Am only recently seeing that this is not the case. I think it's normal to want to ask around. If i'm putting my body through something irriversible, I want to know what sort of things to expect (even more so the closer it gets). Until now I have tried not to think about it too much due to fear and fear of not being accepted on the list. Now it's more of a reality, I have more questions to ask, and don't feel I have anywhere to ask them.

As for the team, I dont feel like they know me at all. I've met the dietition once. I've met one consultant once. I've met a guy who did a gastroscopy. The last 2 were very hurried and the last one was more concerned about getting his lunch than answering any questions I might have.

I'm just interested in hearing from anyone who is far down the line and how they are finding it / how things change after the first 6 months / 1 year etc. Anyone who HAS had any sorts of problems at all. I think it's only normal to ask about the long term. And I don't think that avoiding / hiding from any potential problems and ONLY focusing on the good things is the best way forwards either. I just want to be prepared. I dont think it's a bad thing.

As I said Undecided, I was not trying to be nasty. Just concerned about you. Sorry that it came over wrong.

Hugs Undecided I don't blame you for worrying you are starting on a undiscovered (by you as yet) journey.
If you had asked me 12 months ago today
"Have you done the right thing?" I would have said NO!
But now I have lost 10 stone and am still losing the only major issue I have is clothes "what to buy and where to put them and what to do with the ones that are too big"

Undecided i stopped losing weight at about 5 months post op and have openly and honestly admitted that i think now looking back it's because of bad food choices. I could eat so i did, whether i was hungry or not... The bypass is only a tool and you have to use it for it to work. Do your research and ask questions off people on here. Magazines pooh, i know one of the so called 'alcholics' who appeared in a mag and they said she is now an alcoholic, she likes a drink but in no way shape or form is she close to alcoholism, and for the record she liked a drink pre op too...

Me however i didn't drink much pre op and i don't drink much now... I am howeve finding exercise is starting to turn into an obsession, as those of you on my facebook page know lol...

Stop panicking and be aware of what you are yourself x

PS, forgot to add that since addressing my issues 4 weeks ago i am now 8lbs down and loving it :) x

Hi,

I've had complications post op, as a direct result of my surgery. Firstly, I developed reactive hypoglycaemia, this causes random blood sugar drops so carry special glucose gel with me at all times. They started when I was pregnant and these days I only get 1-2 per month. I wasn't diabetic pre-op. They aren't pleasant, but are easily resolved and I'm getting better at spotting the early warning signs.

Secondly, I have chronic malabsorption. The bypass should cause everyone some degree of malabsorption, in some cases like me the degree of malabsorption is very high and so you lose weight rapidly without stalls and then have to work hard to stop losing and maintain a healthy weight. I graze constantly and eat high calorie high fat foods aiming for around 3000-4000 cals per day. Generally, I can live with this, after all you don't get to 21 stone without a love of bad food. When I'm unwell though it becomes a nightmare, I have to force myself to eat as regaining after a loss is very difficult.

Neither of these problems were helped by falling pregnant at 8 months post op. I adore my son but I should have listened to medical advice and waited longer.

I also have a lot of chronic health conditions and am registered disabled, one of my health problems can cause significant weight loss and make it hard to gain weight so this could be affecting the malabsorption.

Would I do it all again, even with these problems? In an instant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I have my op soon too undecided and I worry about it all :confused: u still seem very unsure of going ahead and I think u probably need to speak to the the team behind your surgery about this . I haven't even met my surgeon and am going to a clinic to have mine that I haven't even stepped in the door of and won't until 6.30am on the morning of my op ! I have lots of questions but I know this op is the right thing to do despite being petrified of leaving my kids behind . My mum is an alcoholic and I do enjoy a drink but I would sacrifice this to be able to live an active life and have the confidence to marry my lovely man:heartpump:I wish u lots of reassurance that we all have the same fears and I hope u have the strength to carry on with your new life journey lots of love xxxxx

Moderation is a very important word after surgery, people told me not to have the surgery because of my lifestyle ie drinking 15 pints a night and eating *****, hence i was 31st!! i was told by people i would never be able to eat this or drink that which is utter rubbish, i have a drink at weekends but in moderation i eat "bad" foods but in moderation you have to let the operation work has its been said many times its a tool please use it wisely.

Thanks guys phatmomma (and others)- So can you eat pretty much anything now ? I really thought it stopped you being able to eat anything sugary (which is the prob I have).

I do worry about addiction transfer because I think the majority of people who have weight problems must have some level of addiction, otherwise we would all just be able to cut right down no problem.

shelbell - I've never heard of that. It sounds awful. I have noticed that some people (none on here but have seen on tv) do actually LOOK malnurished (VERY thin and pale etc). This is another concern. Am I right in thinking the amount of malabsorption depends on the amount of bowel removed ? Today I've wondered which is worse - being very big or looking very ill.

Fizzy donna - you are right. I don't know if i've met my surgeon either. I have no idea who is doing it or what happens next. I've met one consultant but think he was just helping out for the day ! How come you have never been in the clinic ? I do have concerns that need addressing. Hopefully if the dietition ever calls back I can ask if I can speak to someone. The addiction transfer and malnutrition are big things for me. I always said to myself that despite being so big, I was "lucky" in getting the food addiction rather than the alcohol one. At least my food problems dont really affect anyone else or completely destroy and friendships etc. If I went from drinking nothing, to being an alcoholic, I would have made the biggest mistake of my life.

The comments on the articles i read talked of people needing to replace the addiction. If it turned into an exercise on that would be fine ! But I dont think you can know these things in advance.

Back