• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NUTS!!!

Ruthiep

I have always assumed, and been told, that nuts are a good food post surgery, full of protein and they go down well. And they certainly used to be fine, but in the past few days whenever I've eaten nuts (raw cashews and pecans) with raisins, or without, I've suffered pain and nausea.

:( :cry::cry::cry:

try them without the other? so either just the nuts or just the raisins. or try different type s of nuts... xx

maybe sleeve is just having a few off days hun xxx

have you tried brazil nuts xx also remember nuts are hight in protein but still high in fats so you need to have just th right amount.. which im not sure what the right amount is as ive not been brave enough to try nuts yet...
blimey my advise is a bit pants!! lol

Hubby seems convinced it's nothing to do with the nuts as I have managed fine on them in the past but I'm not so sure, as the last couple of times I've had them my reaction has been getting worse. I think I'll avoid them for a while and let things settle down. I know they're high in fat, but on the amount I'm eating, and my overall calorie intake, I think they won't slow down my weight loss. I eat miniscule amounts of everything I can eat, which isn't that much.

Yeah have a break hun... i was talking on the terms of dumping... i forgot you have a sleeve xx

Have you tried smooth peanut butter? a little goes a long way!
I think our systems do change after WLS (even though we have had different op's, I think the principal could be the same)
I have found that Eggs are revisiting me at present - and I lived on them on the pre-op diet. I hope my system will settle down and accept them again soon, not that I'm in a rush to try.

Really? It's just like very well chewed nuts! Making your own with different nuts is nice - and really easy with my fab little 'magic bullet' food processor

I saw my Dietician on saturday and she told me NOT to eat nuts, they are fat first - the protein is 2nd class in them. also she said once we start to get hungry and eat more - we will be addicted to them and want more of them - she said best to avoid them now while its easy.
x

I ate almonds for a few months and whole earth pnb for a protien fix.I am neither addicted to them or put on weight!Never needed b12 and very healthy.I too detested pnb with a vengence but the above one has no sugar and is lovely!As with everything in life its moderation!

I saw my Dietician on saturday and she told me NOT to eat nuts, they are fat first - the protein is 2nd class in them. also she said once we start to get hungry and eat more - we will be addicted to them and want more of them - she said best to avoid them now while its easy.
x

I've always thought ( from my vegetarian days) that they were a good source of protein. I had a jar of Whole Earth PNB when I was on purees and soft foods and it is delicious. However, I made the decision to banish it from the house as it went down so easy and I was tempted to eat it by the spoonful. I think I would have been one of those people who become addicted. I have transferred my addiction to Fage total yoghurt which gives me a protein boost and on balance is not a bad thing to be addicted to. And I'm not joking when I say addicted-I have to have it at least once a day !!

I can't see that a few raw cashews and pecans are going to make me addicted. There is only so many nuts I can eat before the pain starts, anyway. And I stick to my guns that they're a good protein source!

Have you tried soy nuts? They have 11 grams of protein an ounce, can lower cholesterol and contain vitamin K, folic acid, omega 3 and 6. They also contain fibre which aids weight control by regulating the blood sugar and helping us feel fuller longer. The protein in these nuts helps to keep the blood sugar dropping down too low too fast which helps you to wait longer to eat between meals.
They taste a bit like peanuts.
Kim

I can't see that a few raw cashews and pecans are going to make me addicted. There is only so many nuts I can eat before the pain starts, anyway. And I stick to my guns that they're a good protein source!

I'm sure you're right that they are a good source of protein. I used to eat them when I was a vegetarian. I've had to recognise that they are a great weakness for me, as are seeds. I can munch my way through quite a few and they don't half test my will power!
You go ahead and enjoy them Ruthie - wish I could without overdoing it!
Have you got to the bottom of why they are causing you discomfort?

I'm sure you're right that they are a good source of protein. I used to eat them when I was a vegetarian. I've had to recognise that they are a great weakness for me, as are seeds. I can munch my way through quite a few and they don't half test my will power!
You go ahead and enjoy them Ruthie - wish I could without overdoing it!
Have you got to the bottom of why they are causing you discomfort?

Thanks for asking...not exactly but things are a bit better. I can have a small amount without being in agony.

Back