• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

o/t Organ Doners

I work in hospitals and one of my recent attatchments was to the renal unit, it is amaizing how many people need new kidneys. The unit I was on was open 24/7 to get all the people through who need dialysis.

I'm so sorry about your sister, and I hope things go her way soon (sorry if it is terrible saying that as someone else has to die).

You are right about the system needing to change, I think you may have got the 'lables' mixed up though (or its late and i have not read it properly) . At the moment the UK has an 'opt in' policy for organ donation so it is your chice if you opt to do it what we need due to the organ shortage and what the government keeps toying with is a 'opt out system' so every one in the UK would be automatically cinsidered to be an organ donor and if you have strong views you have to opt out much in the same way we opt in now.

Personally I am registered as is everyone in my close cicle of friends and family. I think it is also important to remember that there are things you can do to help still in life, like giving blood or registering on the bone marrow register.

Sorry to hyjack and waffle on but like gayner I think this is so very very important. Xxx

You right hun - it was late for me to - I think we should have the opt out system! :)

debs xx

Just gone to https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/RegistrationForm.do?campaignCode=-1

And signed up as a donor. I already give blood and have done for 9 years. But I never got round to signing up as an organ donor. I can understand how religous nuts dont believe in donating organs. But for normal people to say no is just selfish.

The way I see it..... if I donate a lung, liver, kidney, I just hope the person who gets it enjoys life as much as I did.

p.s. I think they should bring in the opt out system. I know itll create ALOT of work at the start with people opting out. But it will convince people who are too lazy to sign up or on the wire to sign up. BUT they need to deal with the advertising campaign correctly.

I am very much all for donors I truly believe in them however i think I would struggle with the thought of donating my children's but I think thats a completely different matter. I'm sorry your having to go through this!

Clare xx

yup. I'm in...have been for years. I'm all for the change of people having to opt out. I'm afraid that people are lazy..and forgetful...but if someone was really against it, they would make the effort to "opt out".

Fingers crossed for your sister. i watched a programme a few months about life on the transplant list...such a hard thing. You want your person to live, but you don't really want someone else to die......but you kind of do cause that's what you need. It can really mess with your head....

xx

I am on the donor register and agree that we should have to "opt out" if we dont want to be on it.

I am very close to my little sister and can't imagine the pain you are going through seeing her so ill.

I will say a prayer for your sister, i hope she gets a heart very very soon.

I am very much all for donors I truly believe in them however i think I would struggle with the thought of donating my children's but I think thats a completely different matter. I'm sorry your having to go through this!
Clare xx

Having children was one of the reasons i signed my organ donor card (its in the front see through part on my purse and my driving licence) my girls have both signed card when they were younger (now 23 and 16).
I hated the thought that if my kids needed a transplant that there wouldn't be one due to people not being able to let their childs organs be used.
I wouldn't hesitate to let my 5 year olds organs to be used.
I also know someone who had a kidney transplant a couple of years ago and the change in him is diferent he can go on holiday without having to find a dialasis machine close by.
Don't want to force my views on people just telling how I feel about organ donation. It is a very sensitive subject

My thought are with Helen and her family

When my son was so poorly a few years back we were asked to sign an organ donor form so that they could harvest his organs. Luckilly he pulled through in the end, but it does make you stop and think about it.

I was told that he could have helped up to nine other people have a decent life if it had happened. So now we are all signed up.

I do hope your sister finds her donor soon.
xx

Im a blood doner and a bone marrow doner and they can have my bits when Im gone. but not my eyes. Hope your sister gets what she needs

Im a blood doner and a bone marrow doner and they can have my bits when Im gone. but not my eyes. Hope your sister gets what she needs

Do reconsider your eyes, please. Theyre no use to you when youre gone and the difference getting corneas can make to someone is incredible. I had a corneal transplant 10 years ago and will probably need one in my other eye in a few years time. I cant tell you what someones generousity has done to my life

You can have anything of mine thats usable!Just had a designer vagina done if anyone wants to put a bid in!!!lol Serious though what good is burying or burning good parts that you dont need anymore.Opt out should be mandatory.Peace and love to your sister.

So sorry to hear about your sister must be so difficult for you all and we all know waiting is the hardest part.I really hope it happens soon for her.My OH knows that they can have anything from me that's useable as we've all said what good is it to me when i have gone. It's amazing how far modern medicine as come on so i'm more than happy to help. I know where you are coming from Tina but i have to agree with Starlight my mum is blind and has been for 46 years. i've watched her struggle to do every day tasks she needs a retina transplant which is not avilable even today but if i thought that my eyes could help someone then they can have mine gruesome as it sounds.Thanks for the link going to make sure i'm officially a doner xx

I have a living will, power of attorney & all the papers registered with my physicians. I definitely believe in organ donation & hope your sister gets the heart she needs.

I know where you are coming from Tina but i have to agree with Starlight my mum is blind and has been for 46 years. i've watched her struggle to do every day tasks she needs a retina transplant which is not avilable even today but if i thought that my eyes could help someone then they can have mine gruesome as it sounds.Thanks for the link going to make sure i'm officially a doner xx

I totally agree, none of it is any use once we're gone, but the difference all these organs can make, is incredible.

I think it should be opt out - for all organs - so many people just dont think about it.

Can I just ask why people don't want tog ive up their eyes? Not having a go. Just curious as to why. To be fair I considered not giving away my heart. Everythign else except my heart. I have lovely eyes. A kind of Ray Leotta set of eyes so I'd be happy to give them away. But the heart has been broken by women so many times Im not sure it would work ;)

Having children was one of the reasons i signed my organ donor card (its in the front see through part on my purse and my driving licence) my girls have both signed card when they were younger (now 23 and 16).
I hated the thought that if my kids needed a transplant that there wouldn't be one due to people not being able to let their childs organs be used.
I wouldn't hesitate to let my 5 year olds organs to be used.
I also know someone who had a kidney transplant a couple of years ago and the change in him is diferent he can go on holiday without having to find a dialasis machine close by.
Don't want to force my views on people just telling how I feel about organ donation. It is a very sensitive subject

My thought are with Helen and her family

Hiya wendy I can fully understand what you are saying however my children are 14 weeks old and 23 months, my cousin died of cot death aged 14 months 14 years ago and it still doesn't feel like he is dead it just doesn't feel right. Children just shouldn't die. Most of the main organs can only be donated if the donator is still alive i.e on a life support machine when the organs are taken away. I just don't think I could do this to one of my children at such a young age. As much as in my mind I'd know that it would be going to save another child which may lead me to change my mind I just couldn't promise I could do it. Allowing the life support machine to go off would be a struggle enough let alone allowing them to take the organs away plus at this point it means you couldn't cuddle your child whilst they were dying as they'd be taken to surgery before hand. This is why people struggle to donate especially main organs it's not as simple as already being dead. Hope I haven't offended anyone but yes if it was me or my partner or my mother then no question about it.

Clare x

So sorry to hear about your sister - I hope things work out for her

I wish I could go on the donor list but I can't :( I can't even give blood

xx

Back