• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

% of weight loss

rickysmrs

Hiya just wandered if any of you sleevers have lost more than the 70% of weight loss as per guidelines?

well done crackers xx

Yes I have lost more than 100% of my excess weight. I never ever thought I'd see 9st 2. Now people are having a go at me for losing too much! Can't folks be happy for me? If I get to ridiculous lows like the low side of 8st or something, then maybe I'd agree but heck I'm still 9st 2 which for a 5 foot 1" woman isn't *that* low yet! I'm extremely happy with my weight now. I'm doing nothing to lose more, and nothing much to put anything back on again either. I'm just coasting along letting what happens, happen. But yea, my surgeon quoted 60-70% of my excess weight to be an achievable goal. But as he said later: "I prefer to set goals low and then people are thrilled to exceed them, than to have them too high and have people disappointed."

By the way, rickysmrs, 112lbs is 8st nothing, and you are only one inch shorter than me, so that's a very low goal to set yourself. I don't know how old you are though. I last weighed that little (well even less really, 7st 10) when I was 17, and at 17 it looked good on me. I would look *terrible* if I weighed that little now. At 9st 2 I look really skinny!

Hi Ruthie - I hope you don't mean me? I don't think your weight is an issue and think you deal with that sensibly, I was only worried about your weighing yourself sensibly.

WOW well done Ruthie thats great newsi will be very pleased to get any where near there,thanks for sharing.

Ruthie the goal weight was just the Weight Watchers ideal weight !!! really not expecting to get that low yes as you 17-until 28 when I had my 1st child I was around this weight but I never lost any baby weight and I have have 1 more successful pregnancy along with too many to account unsuccessful ones where I gained weight and never lost afterwards.

Cheers

Ann xx

Yes I have lost more than 100% of my excess weight. I never ever thought I'd see 9st 2. Now people are having a go at me for losing too much! Can't folks be happy for me?

What are you talking about Ruthie? The only person on his forum I've seen say anything about your weight being too low is yourself.

9st 2 today, a bit worried that it's getting too low! Will keep you posted on losing too much! But I think it's just stress. Got a houseful of grandchildren staying including one ill one which isn't easy at my time of life!

If it is elsewhere that they are saying this, then I think you need to talk to them, elsewhere.

Yes I have lost more than 100% of my excess weight. I never ever thought I'd see 9st 2. Now people are having a go at me for losing too much! Can't folks be happy for me? If I get to ridiculous lows like the low side of 8st or something, then maybe I'd agree but heck I'm still 9st 2 which for a 5 foot 1" woman isn't *that* low yet! I'm extremely happy with my weight now. I'm doing nothing to lose more, and nothing much to put anything back on again either. I'm just coasting along letting what happens, happen. But yea, my surgeon quoted 60-70% of my excess weight to be an achievable goal. But as he said later: "I prefer to set goals low and then people are thrilled to exceed them, than to have them too high and have people disappointed."

By the way, rickysmrs, 112lbs is 8st nothing, and you are only one inch shorter than me, so that's a very low goal to set yourself. I don't know how old you are though. I last weighed that little (well even less really, 7st 10) when I was 17, and at 17 it looked good on me. I would look *terrible* if I weighed that little now. At 9st 2 I look really skinny!

I'm 5.1 and weigh 11.10 and after you thinking 9.2 isn't 'that low' I feel huge now!..lol

I'm 3 months out from sleeve and have lost 50% of my excess weight!!! It's very exciting and I'm aiming to loose 100% of my excess weight x

Hi Rickysmrs,

I am one of the sleevers who currently has only hit the average expected 70% excess weight loss, however, I am not yet a year post op *and* I've had a lot of life things trip me up and make life a bit difficult recently. I believe that once I am settled with a permanent job again and new living accommodation, I will be able to get shifting the pounds again.

However, there are other sleevers on here who have achieve 90% to 100% excess weight loss who have not responded yet.

One of them is Caren and the other that I can think of, off the top of my head is Luckyla who last posted when she had reached 90% excess weight loss: http://www.wlsurgery.com/gastric-sl...fter/146838-latest-before-after-pictures.html

However, there are other sleevers on here who have achieve 90% to 100% excess weight loss who have not responded yet.

Ah, good point Sharonimo, I didn't tell the OP what I had achieved, as a fellow sleever.

Yep, gone past the 70% figure, BUT, I did "only" have a 70lb target and I started with relatively low BMI. The first 60% of excess weight was the easiest, seemed to just fall away, the remainder took the most time and was all about upping exercise and making them a big part of my weekly routines.

I was highly motivated to get to my target figure though, as my medium term health outlook was awful, stroke and/or heart attack within the next 10 years. But, depending on whom you talk to, me living longer than 10 years seems a little too awful for them...

So I wonder how much of the 70% figure is about "if you just reduce your calories and don't up your exercise - then you will get to the 70% figure".

Last edited:
What are you talking about Ruthie? The only person on his forum I've seen say anything about your weight being too low is yourself.

If it is elsewhere that they are saying this, then I think you need to talk to them, elsewhere.

I never once said it was on here Muttley. And I only reported it as an anecdote as to what people say.

And I'm not saying my weight is too low NOW, I'm saying it could get too low. I'm very happy with what it is now.

Hi Rickysmrs,
I believe that once I am settled with a permanent job again and new living accommodation, I will be able to get shifting the pounds again.

Good for you as in the end, this is all about your health and no one else is going to do it for you. And I hope you get those two things sooner than later to help you get to your final loss goal.

Hi Ruthie - I hope you don't mean me? I don't think your weight is an issue and think you deal with that sensibly, I was only worried about your weighing yourself sensibly.

Darling Yvessa. We're good :candledinner:

Yes I weigh myself too often but that ain't gonna stop any time soon LOL :)

WOW well done Ruthie thats great newsi will be very pleased to get any where near there,thanks for sharing.

Ruthie the goal weight was just the Weight Watchers ideal weight !!! really not expecting to get that low yes as you 17-until 28 when I had my 1st child I was around this weight but I never lost any baby weight and I have have 1 more successful pregnancy along with too many to account unsuccessful ones where I gained weight and never lost afterwards.

Cheers

Ann xx

Ann: that was exactly my problem, pregnancy weight gain (I had 8 babies) and never losing the weight inbetween. Just kept on getting fatter and fatter.

And I'm not saying my weight is too low NOW, I'm saying it could get too low. I'm very happy with what it is now.

Ah, my bad. I obviously misunderstood your comment of "a bit worried that it's getting too low!" to mean that you were worried that your weight was getting too low, where as what you mean by it is that you are very happy with your weight now.

And so you should be, to only take just over a year to get to your original goal, you should be very pleased with yourself - a fantastic achievement.

Darling Yvessa. We're good :candledinner:

Yes I weigh myself too often but that ain't gonna stop any time soon LOL :)

I'm so glad! I have no intention of telling people what a healthy weight should be when I can't even figure mine out!

Ruthie I knew what you meant. I think you have done amazingly well and hope one day to be posting something similar.

Of course it will affect me if someone in "real life" makes comments about my weight loss which leads me to have worries. God only knows I've faced a lifetime of being too fat so really don't want to know what it feels like at the other end of the spectrum. "normal" is good with me whatever that means, but to me it means mobility, clothes that fit, health benefits and a real life.

Ok folks, I'm not going to take sides over this but I will say this appears to have blown up over nothing!

I will be removing the posts that serve no purpose and would ask that discussions remain around the issue raised by the original poster.

Back