• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will it stop?

tealovingsleever

Does anyone else worry about their weight loss stopping? At my surgeon appointment in Jan the surgeon told me my 10 stone goal was unrealistic and it is unusual for sleevers to achieve more than 70 EWL. He said I will see him again in Jan 2014 (NHS!) and if i haven't got to a good weight we'll discuss a bypass.

I have to say this made me cross as he knows nothing about me! I told him even if I didn't lose another lb i wouldn't be having a bypass, one surgery is enough for me.

Anyway i've now gone past 70% EWL and i've increased my exercise dramatically, i'm doing on average 5 x 1 hour classes at the gym each week as well as lots of walking which I don't include in my exercise.

I quite often worry about it stopping though! And, as my brain hasn't caught up with my loss I look in the mirror and often still think i'm huge :(

Just wondered if anyone else had gone through this and how they managed it?

x

the surgeon told me my 10 stone goal was unrealistic and it is unusual for sleevers to achieve more than 70 EWL

I'm nowhere near where you are right now but just to say my surgeon said the same - that my 10 to 11 stone desired weight was unrealistic and I should expect to lose a maximum of 70% excess weight. So I changed my final weight goal to reflect that x x

Well I've passed 70% now so I'm ignoring what my surgeon said about that :)

The percentages are averages. For every one of us that loses our 60-70% there are several who don't achieve that and those that don't can turn to the wrong foods for comfort. So they try to reassure us and I felt patronised when I went to them about stalling as I had the opposite worry of stopping too soon. When you hit goal you may have to switch to normal fat foods etc. If that doesn't work it may be a question of eating more meals. I am far more likely, sadly to stop before my personal goal, although at the moment I'm pretty sure I'll hit my medical goal.

Yvessa I meant it stopping and not getting to goal. I'm not worried about losing too much lol.

I have the same fear. I went through a period of stalling and I was certain I wouldn't hit goal. Honestly, there're doesn't seem to be an easy answer - partly I don't think BMI's are always the best measure. I do think we can force our bodies down to a healthy BMI, but it would be forced and we would try and bounce up. The only advice I can give is keep doing what you're doing and reassess if you start to stall.

Incidentally, I had to revise my goal upwards, because I was being unrealistic. I'm still not particularly realistic now, but it feels more achievable.

I wasn't really looking for an answer just asking if anyone else has the same worry. I upped the exercise because I had slowed down to a pound a week now I'm back up to 2/3 a week. Fingers crossed it keeps going down for both of us :)

I'm a Bypasser but my dietitian said to me last week that 7st is my EWL and my personal goal of 10 to 9 and a half stone was very unrealistic. I'll be around 14st if it stops at 7 stone :( that really worried me as there isn't really any other option of losing the rest(I already eat super low fat and no carbs)

Since surgery nearly 4 months ago not including the milk diet weightloss, I have lost 3lbs short of 4st and to think it will stop after another 3st is crazy. I hope it doesn't stop for any of us and we all reach are healthy goal weights :)

I am hoping that if we keep jiggling it about and do the exercise we'll be fine. Averages are rubbish measures because to get an average of 70 some people must have got to target! I know lots of sleevers who have managed it so fingers crossed for us. You are doing fabulously carebear so stick with it xx

I have also been told to be more realistic!! I am hoping to ditch at least another two stone but I have had a stall for the past two months, just lost 1/2 lb and a pound each week, which realistically isn't a stall but not the 3 and 4 lb a week I got used to losing.
I am also getting more and more people saying that I should stop as i am looking too scrawny in the face, cheeky sods its my face and I'll do as I want!!

Good for you! I need to get to where I am happy with me. I am 2.5 stone away from what they thought was realistic. 3.5 from my gps goal and 5.5 from my personal goal. We shall see where I end up.

This is really interesting as its one of the things I'm mulling over as part of my decision. My surgeon recommends the bypass for me as he said it will get rid of most of my excess weight but he said he would not rule out the sleeve.
I worry about stopping b4 I'm at a healthy weight (I'm still a pre opper) so sometimes think to go for the bypass as I will achieve a higher weight loss...Hmmm

I have that fear, too. So far my weight loss has gone slow but steadily - just like want it (skin). But all in all I have to lose 47% of my starting weight (I have to lose 110 lbs of my starting weight, which was 237 lbs) and that seems soooo much. I 'm basically losing half my body. Granted, most of it is fat but still - it sounds crazy! Or maybe ballooning up to 237 lbs was the really crazy part... Anyway, I share your fear of "it" stopping to work before I reach my goal. So far I've lost 46 lbs, which means I have another 64 lbs to go but my EWL is already 56%. So I really need to beat the statistic and go for gold!

BMI is a really poor way of assess people anyway, and very unscientific. It doesn't take into account fluctuations like water retention, muscle build, bone density etc... so at best it's a rule of thumb tool, handy for establishing guidelines and averages, but not to be taken as a bible!

Please remember that if you're exercising, muscle is heavier than fat, so you could be losing fat and replacing it by muscle tone and the scales wouldn't really move, so use other methods than weighing yourselves: measure your waist size, see how your clothes fit or what dress size you're getting to, these are much more efficient ways to gauge how you're doing.

What the surgeon says is unrealistic may be for various reasons, but it is based, again, on an average, it doesn't mean that it will happen to you!

The reality is that we all have levels at which our body doesn't want to shift further (sadly, these tend to increase with age!) and when it comes to that, we will all have to make that extra effort to get it back into gear, but ultimately, it's a case of not giving up or giving in. We all know that whichever our choice of WLS is, it is a tool, not a solution. ;)

Glad I'm not alone! I'm not paying any attention to BMI I'm just trying to get to a weight I once felt happy at and then I'll reassess.

Glad I'm not alone! I'm not paying any attention to BMI I'm just trying to get to a weight I once felt happy at and then I'll reassess.

I don't really pay attention to my BMI, or pounds for that matter, but to the way I look in clothes. I know, I sound shallow as hell but I think it really depends on how you carry your weight. Some people have an average BMI and look slim and fit; others have a lower BMI but still look a bit chubby in certain areas... So once I like the way I look and feel in clothes (without is another matter entirely!) I'll stop.

You're absolutely right! I'm amazed that people much heavier than me are in the same sized clothes as me at times!

I don't really pay attention to my BMI, or pounds for that matter, but to the way I look in clothes. I know, I sound shallow as hell but I think it really depends on how you carry your weight. Some people have an average BMI and look slim and fit; others have a lower BMI but still look a bit chubby in certain areas... So once I like the way I look and feel in clothes (without is another matter entirely!) I'll stop.

That's so true. What op did you have ? X

If you click on people's pictures you can see what ops they had x

Back