• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG hair loss

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
My hair has started to come out by the handfull. My hair is fine to begin with and I am freaking out. GP has given me disolvable Zinc tablets which make me heave. Gonna get Selenium tablets tomorrow.
Is there anything else I can do? Are there Zinc I can take that isn't soluable?

Don't panic, Lou :) mines been falling out at a rate of knots since January & I am still not bald ... yet, lol :eek:. It should restart healthy growth soon, I am hoping, before I start to resemble a pigs bum :eek: all bristles :rolleyes:. Don't get too stressed about it cos stress will not help & those peeps who are further down the line seem confident that it is just a phase in the hairs cycle & your bodies way of reacting to the shock of a much reduced calorie intake. It needs to take care of your organs before hair growth but will get round to it soon. Chin up sweets, we are all in the same boat & I can live with a sparse barnet but not with being so overweight. :D xxx

On my discharge summary to my GP my surgeon had suggested I take 'kelp' each day to help with hair growth - not sure if it works, as I have not seen any research stating either way - however I trust him and his experience so I have ordered some online as I am also having to hoover the bedroom daily as it's coming out a treat at the moment.
I will keep you posted xx

Kelp is your best bet. I lost my hair last year to thyroid disease and I started taking kelp and my hair is great now. Dreading when this happens again. Atleast I still have all my wigs :)

Be careful of the zinc too much also causes hair loss.
My pal's hair all grew back & is great now.

The loss will slow down and get back to normal. I've been using John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thick Shampoo and the conditioner and it does help with your hair's appearance. Bit pricey compared to what I used to use, but a little goes a long way and I think my hair is looking better for it.

They say keeping your protein levels up helps

The dissolvable zinc is disgusting!
I don't think you can get tablet form,well I couldn't I asked for it and wasnt available.
I had selenium from doctors and also used the alepcin(something like that)from boots.
Is exspensive,and to be honest nothing will stop hairloss.
Just keep up protein levels.. X

Just ride it out its natural after the op for hair to thin.It will come back.Nothing you take will make much difference.Have a good cut and dont stress!

i feel ya pain, mine fell out from day 1, its stopped and is coming back nicely now but at the time it was so distressing! I took Biotin, zinc and selenium - not sure if they helped but it made me feel better to try!

to be honest its worth being able to buy size 14 clothes so please dont worry - id have got a wig if needed! (didnt need to but)

xx

Hi Lou , you can get zinc sulphate capsules 220mg on prescription, I couldnt stand the disolvable ones either !!

Kate x

My hair started falling out 3 months after my op and continued for about 4-6 weeks but it has stopped now.... Thank god!! Xx

My hair started to fall out at 3 mth and it still coming out now but I already have lots of little new hairs coming thru so hopefully it wont become to obvious to others, I take biotin and selenium dont no if they doing anything hopefully they helping with the new hair. I asked at the hospital just last week how long it would last and they said it usually stops when my weight loss slows down x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using WLSurgery

Thx guys for all the info. Really useful.

Bellydancer57 said:
Thx guys for all the info. Really useful.

I lost lots of hair from about 2 months after my surgery and it went on for about 3-4 months. I don't think there's much you can do to stop it happening to be honest?
Try not to worry as it does stop and it definitely grows back :) xx

Protein is the key as your body uses it to transport the Zinc to the hair follicle, so take Zinc and Selenium supplements by all means as they help a little, but without sufficient protein they will be largely ineffective

You guys are so fantastic. You always make me feel better. I am so grateful for all your support.

I have been and got selenium and got a water spray to put a little rosemary oil in. If I spray my head every night it should stimulate my follicles!

Karl Has hit the nail on the head. I do need to increase my protein intake. So I am definitely going to do that too!

Thanks again

XxxX

Twinkle explained it very well... so everytime i think...omg my hair..im gonna read her message xx

My hair has started to come out by the handfull. My hair is fine to begin with and I am freaking out. GP has given me disolvable Zinc tablets which make me heave. Gonna get Selenium tablets tomorrow.
Is there anything else I can do? Are there Zinc I can take that isn't soluable?

Hi lou
I lost alot of hair.......it does come back unfortunatley for me, mine grew back curly lol xxx

Back