• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On 650 calories a day; why did I GAIN 3lb????

Ruthiep

I know I'm an obsessive weigher. Every morning I'm on those scales. I would have accepted staying the same, from what I read, it's what happens. But 3 days ago I was 12.7, then yesterday I was 12.8 and 3/4 (which I put down to not opening my bowels, so I addressed that yesterday) and this morning... I'm 12.10!!!!!!!!!!!! How does THAT make any sense???? I did measure myself and I have lost an inch or so off my waist and hips.

Yesterday as my personal trainer had bailed on me due to the vomiting bug, I specially made a point of going on the treadmill several times, notching up about 30 minutes in all, plus I walked round the shops. And I was running up and down the stairs last night much more nimbly than I usually have been, so I had high hopes of being lighter and leaner this morning.

Yesterday I registered with myfitnesspal and set my goal at 1000 calories, but even if my goal had been 900, or even 800 calories a day I wouldn't have reached it. I ate good but small meals, and totted up 650 calories yesterday, so HOW did I gain 3lb???? I just don't get it.

Can someone please make me feel better?
I am so devastated..can anyone explain why on earth this has happened?

Eyethankyew.

It will be off as quick as it was on...it's back to not weighing daily.....says me! Lol. Add me on fitness pal if u want JO28172

it has to be water weight. It would be impossible to gain 3lb of FAT overnight, you have to consume 3500 excess calories to gain 1lb of fat.

I am a daily weigher too - sometimes several times a day! But if you are going to be a daily weigher you have to accept that sometimes they will go up as well as down.

Yes logic also tells me it's impossible. And yes it HAS to be fluid. In fact over the past few days I have hardly wee'd. I am just realizing how little. So I am going to drink and drink and drink.

I know it's difficult but for all that exercise 650 cars is very little.. Perhaps just try and squeeze a few more cars in. Like suggested on other thread a milky choc, ovaltine or coffee. I've found when I let my cats drop too low I don't lose. You also know it'll shift quickly very soon! X

Sent from my Galaxy SII using WLSurgery

Why do you all do the same things and expect losses!
Please trust one who knows!
1.Ditch the scales.
2.Eat more.
3.Drink more.
4.Relax.
5.Do as you are advised! lol Maz x

Listen to Maz hun - too few calories will make you gain weight as your body goes into starvation mode and starts to store everything. Make sure you're drinking plenty water and eating small meals regularly and you should see losses again. Good luck x

Are you drinking even more liquid to counteract with the exercise?

Your resting metabolism will be something like 2000 or more (at least) calories and you are only eating 650. You are probably burning a good few hundred doing the exercise.
What do you think your body is trying to survive on?!? ;-) it is probably in starvation mode overdrive lol

Drink double liquid when exercising and quit the scales :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I know it's difficult but for all that exercise 650 cars is very little.. Perhaps just try and squeeze a few more cars in. Like suggested on other thread a milky choc, ovaltine or coffee. I've found when I let my cats drop too low I don't lose. You also know it'll shift quickly very soon! X

Sent from my Galaxy SII using WLSurgery

I understand not losing, what I couldn't understand was GAINING!! But I do think it's water retention, I really haven't peed nearly as much as usual recently so I am upping the water intake a lot today and let's see.

Also another thing for daily weighers, bathroom scales are not accurate! They are inconsistent and are affected by how you stand on them!

Also another thing for daily weighers, bathroom scales are not accurate! They are inconsistent and are affected by how you stand on them!

Digital scales are not affected by how you stand on them, only mechanical ones. I have found mine to be consistently one pound more than my doctor's balance scales.

Unfortunately, they are affected :) There's not a huge amount of difference in how they're made.

up the cals i fear your weight gain might be you eating yourself to compensate - I have been strongly advised to aim for 1000 - 1200 as I exercise a lot

So I tried having a pre lunch snack of melba toast with cheese spread. I now feel so sick and ill I couldn't eat my lunch. I just CAN'T up the calories. Well, I'll try something different next time I suppose.

So I tried having a pre lunch snack of melba toast with cheese spread. I now feel so sick and ill I couldn't eat my lunch. I just CAN'T up the calories. Well, I'll try something different next time I suppose.

if your gonna have a snack, try having a yogurt or a milky drink instead as the melba may have filled you up to much x

Back