• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On 650 calories a day; why did I GAIN 3lb????

Not liking milk is a bit of a problem for wls peeps as so much post op is dairy based. I have to say I'm sick of lattes so am getting my milk in in other ways. I drink hot double milk with suagr free syrup added. Right now I'm having one with Irish Cream flavoured syrup. I have banana ( use it in cold stuff), caramel and vanilla as well. I also add them to my 0% Fage which continues to be a staple in my diet. It's a struggle to get the protein in but as my hair loss is now quite spectacular I'm determined to force it in no matter what.
Have you tried the shots yet Ruthie? I never have lest they be horrible and dried milk powder is so much cheaper! All in all though I do think you are doing very well :eek:)

Last edited:
i dont drink milk either and am totally off yoghurts of any kind so it is hard to get everything in - miss tickle i saw a post about a special shampoo to get for hair loss - but i cant remember what it was x

Not liking milk is a bit of a problem for wls peeps as so much post op is dairy ased. I have to say I'm sick of lattes so am getting my milk in in other ways. I drink hot double milk with suagr free syrup added. Right now I'm having one with Irish Cream flavoured syrup. I have banana ( use it in cold stuff), caramel and vanilla as well. I also add them to my 0% Fage which continues to be a staple in my diet. It's a struggle to get the protein in but as my hair loss is now quite spectacular I'm determined to force it in no matter what.
Have you tried the shots yet Ruthie? I never have lest they be horrible and dried milk powder is so much cheaper! All in all though I do think you are doing very well :eek:)

I don't know how you function on 650 calories a day, I'd be weak and faint. I have the best weight losses when I increase the calories and stress less about the whole thing!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I don't drink milk in hot drinks, but I do have yogurt and cold milk in cereal. I like cheese though.

I discovered today that I can eat cashews! They are full of protein.

I don't know how you function on 650 calories a day, I'd be weak and faint. I have the best weight losses when I increase the calories and stress less about the whole thing!

I am trying to have more.

if your having cheese and yogurts then that should be ok as they have calcium in.
I only have one milky drink and thats in the evening... ooh in fact im gonna have it soon... options hot choccy...choc brownie flavour nom nom nom

Does mixed in marvel heat up ok? Where do you buy your sugar free syrups from?

i heat up my milk in the microwave then add my marvel xx

Ruthie, if I were to give you one piece of advice it would be to relax hun... at only a month post op I'd say 650 cals is absolutely perfect. Dont worry about trying to eat more, but do be careful that you are drinking enough - particularly if you are doing a lot of exercise. If your stats are correct you are already doing well. Just keep doing what you are doing hun. Keep up the great work x x

i dont drink milk either and am totally off yoghurts of any kind so it is hard to get everything in - miss tickle i saw a post about a special shampoo to get for hair loss - but i cant remember what it was x

Thanks Doughie, I'll see if I can find it.

I must admit at not reading that you're only one month post op! Looked at the weight you mentioned and assumed you'd been going at it for months! I didn't even realise that you could have a sleeve with so little to lose - I'm a bit out of touch! Sorry!!

It's early days and the weight has a way of going while you're not looking!

xx.

Does mixed in marvel heat up ok? Where do you buy your sugar free syrups from?
It heats fine. I make it up in advance though as it's better once it's stood in the fridge for a while. I get my syrups here:

Syrups and Spreads | Sugar Free Megastore

I save up and get a few bottles to make it worthwhile paying the postage.

Thanks Sambucca and yes my stats are correct. I don't want to try force feeding myself; it doesn't make sense.

Went out for supper with hubby tonight; we went to a kosher Chinese place. We ordered: mixed hors d'euvres platter for two. He had 3/4 of it. I had one very small lamb spare rib, and a tiny corner of a sesame toast triangle just to taste. Then for my main I had a chicken wonton soup. I gave hubby 3 out of the 4 wontons and ALL the wonton wrappers (not fried but boiled dough) so all I was left with was one tiny ball of minced chicken. I also left 3/4 of the soup. And that was my supper :)

By the way Rayne I also take a daily calcium and vitamin D supplement, so I don't think a shortage of calcium is my problem.

Cicca; Yes 30th November I had the sleeve. So JUST started on non mushy foods as of Wednesday, still experimenting with what works and what hurts :p

Why on earth are you back in the gym so early??? You only had your op on 30th Nov, you haven't had time to heal!! I have been advised not to go near the gym till I have had my check up at 8 weeks.
My digital scales are also not affected by where I stand on them. I have 2 sets and they both weigh the same, and they reflect what the hospital scales say! I saw the dietitian yesterday, and I told her I was eating less than 500 cals a day and she says that is about what she would expect at not quite 6 weeks, but would expect me to be nearer 800 by the time I am 12 weeks out.
Don't worry about the weight gain, it can only be fluid. When I was on lighter life I was only having 351 cals a day, and this "starvation mode" never kicked in at all, I lost every single week and at least 4lb, I was on it for months.

I must admit at not reading that you're only one month post op! Looked at the weight you mentioned and assumed you'd been going at it for months! I didn't even realise that you could have a sleeve with so little to lose - I'm a bit out of touch! Sorry!!

It's early days and the weight has a way of going while you're not looking!

xx.

Is it so little to lose though? I was 14.5 or 6 at my first consultation, 13.10 after the pre op (day of surgery), that was four weeks ago. I was 12.7 earlier this week before the mystery weight gain due, I'm sure, to me holding onto fluids. At 5.1, 14.5 is obese. I have quite bad osteo arthritis in my knees, ankle and spine and that's why I wanted WLS. Since the surgery I haven't had any pain in my spine, and much less in my knees. My right instep is still bothering me but tolerably.

Why on earth are you back in the gym so early??? You only had your op on 30th Nov, you haven't had time to heal!! I have been advised not to go near the gym till I have had my check up at 8 weeks.
My digital scales are also not affected by where I stand on them. I have 2 sets and they both weigh the same, and they reflect what the hospital scales say! I saw the dietitian yesterday, and I told her I was eating less than 500 cals a day and she says that is about what she would expect at not quite 6 weeks, but would expect me to be nearer 800 by the time I am 12 weeks out.
Don't worry about the weight gain, it can only be fluid. When I was on lighter life I was only having 351 cals a day, and this "starvation mode" never kicked in at all, I lost every single week and at least 4lb, I was on it for months.

Who said I go to the gym?

My trainer, Gail, comes to me. I asked my surgeon when I could start exercising with her again, and he said at 2 weeks post op. That was when I had my post op checkup. He said I could do walking on treadmill, exercise bike if I had one (I don't) weights up to 5kg, but no stomach crunches just yet, as my scars haven't healed. Gail does a lot of resistance stuff with me using those stretchy band thingeys, to keep my skin tight.

I'm very pleased to hear what you say about the number of calories you ate at my stage. Seems silly to treat myself as a foie gras goose if I don't want the food!

I assumed you go on the machines at the gym,my bad.Sorry. x
I am so surprised at that advice. I couldn't even drive a car for 3 weeks and I was told not to lift anything heavier than a kettle.
Maybe there are differences between advice for a sleeve and a bypass.
Anyway, I bet you lose your 3lb tomorrow xx

I assumed you go on the machines at the gym,my bad.Sorry. x
I am so surprised at that advice. I couldn't even drive a car for 3 weeks and I was told not to lift anything heavier than a kettle.
Maybe there are differences between advice for a sleeve and a bypass.
Anyway, I bet you lose your 3lb tomorrow xx

I went to my support group a couple of weeks before my op and there was a woman there who'd been banded on the Saturday, and this was the Tuesday following; ie 3 days later. I asked her how she'd got there, and she said "I drove myself!" I was gobsmacked so I asked my surgeon (who comes to the support groups) when I could drive. He basically said when I felt I wouldn't crash the car. But not to drive home from the hospital after the op!! I was, I agree, rather stunned, but no one at the group was similarly stunned and there were bypass patients there too who'd driven after a few days. I was very nervous driving because I recalled driving 3 weeks post hysterectomy and pranging someone, but I drove 4 days post sleeve, just a short trip, and I drove like on eggshells just to be sure I was safe.

I think, that like the pre op diet, the post op exercise and other advice, varies hugely from one surgeon to another.

No big deal about the gym machine misunderstanding xx and I hope you're right about the 3lbs!

Back