• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op cancellations - NHS or Private

melarnz

Hi guys

I was wondering if you could tell me if your ops got cancelled and if you were private or Nhs.

I'm worried that if they cancel I will bottle out on the op! I think I need to get my head round that it's a possibility and a contingency plan.

(I'm a bit OCD in planning everything!)

Thanks x

I self funded and was due to have my op on Weds 20th Nov but a few ops before me ran over time so I was operated on the next day, it was a minor inconvenience but I was so excited to be having the op I was ok.

my op was due 30th april on NHS. they cancelled the night before due to all non-emergency ops being cancelled due to ward closures (norovirus) they said. not sure if i believe it though. new op date is 27th May. If they cancel again dont know what i will do as it takes a lot to get your head in the right place for 2 weeks of pre op diet and feeling that you are at last really ready and then bang! cancelled. and you have to go through it all again.

My op was cancelled on 24th April after sitting in the waiting room for 6 hours (NHS) due to A&E overload meant no beds...... rescheduled for 22nd May & head is in 2 places now if i'm honest.

i totally get that Gemzy. if i get cancelled again, really dont know how i will cope. you cant underestermate how stressful that is can you when you have waited so long and re-organised everything and then they move the goal posts. the feeling of flatness and dissapointed and knowing you have to find the energy and strength to put yourself through it again. Fingers crossed Melarnz it wont happen to you are you NHS?

I think it's pretty rare to be cancelled for a private Op. Most of the Private hospitals don't have the same demand on their time as the NHS so I was the only scheduled Op on my day.

It's one of those things with the NHS, if there are emergencies come in, they take priority over WLS as it is classed as elective. It's got to be really frustrating for those people that do get bumped, after all, it's not an ingrowing toenail op - life needs to be organised around the operation!

I think it's pretty rare to be cancelled for a private Op. Most of the Private hospitals don't have the same demand on their time as the NHS so I was the only scheduled Op on my day.

It's one of those things with the NHS, if there are emergencies come in, they take priority over WLS as it is classed as elective. It's got to be really frustrating for those people that do get bumped, after all, it's not an ingrowing toenail op - life needs to be organised around the operation!

Trust me to be the "rarity" lol :eek:

I was due to have mine 4th June on nhs started pre-op diet today but they called not long ago it's been cancelled till 23rd of June now glad I was told today and not a week or 2 into pre-op diet lol

sorry to hear that rachlou85, what a bloody let down. where in the country are you based? keep your chin up!

I am under Walsall manor hospital I am just happy i was not a week or more in to pre-op diet or like some canceled on the day and have to do it all again so fingers crossed they don't change it again.

Oh dear Butterfly - did they say why they had cancelled it?

I'd swap having to wait a few extra days/weeks to paying £5k any day to be honest!

HOWEVER - can totally sympathise with the headspace thing. I was due to be first on my op day (I have a latex allergy) but after miscommunication between nurses and surgical team I ended up being third.

Waiting for the couple hours not knowing if I was about to go in was awful - really stressful.

Hope you get sorted Melarnz - try to focus on being excited rather than nervours! xx

Oh dear Butterfly - did they say why they had cancelled it?

My surgeon only did afternoons for BUPA and the first 2 over ran, it was fine with me as I got to stay a night in my hospital room which was more like a 4* hotel with 24hr room service, my surgeon even told me to have a chicken baguette with chips as I'd not eaten all day and that would still be under 1,200 calories, I opted for a yogurt instead lol

Ha! Dolan Park wasn't like a posh hotel... more like an insane assylum! x

I went to Dolan Park for my consultation I only went as far as reception and a side room, but had my op in the BUPA place in Solihull, Dolan Park is nearer but they don't do bypass's there.

I just had the bypass on Tuesday through the NHS. I was panicking as another lady on here who was due to be done the week before me had her op postponed due to lack of beds and novovirus. When I met the surgeon on the morning he did warn that there might be a possibility of last minute cancellation due to lack of bed space but that considering how long I'd been going through this process, he was determined to make sure there was a bed. Anyway, arrived at hospital at 7a.m. was apparently second on the list but still didn't get into surgery until around 3p.m. The day after, Whilst on the ward I did overhear someone having a conversation saying they were going to have to postpone all elective surgery due to lack of beds.

I would think that postponing as a private patient would be unlikely, but it seems to be hit and miss with the NHS and depends on whatever is happening admissions wise.

I have gone private (and I wish it was only 5k!).

The closer it gets, the more scared I am! I keep reading about all the successes, and have convinced everyone around what a standard procedure op it is, but haven't managed to convince myself lol

My surgery was NHS, I was admitted at 7.30am, got cancelled at 9.30am due to no beds, decided to hang around for a bit, fell asleep then was woken up by the Theatre Manager at midday, telling me they found a bed and it was time to get changed and have my op!

I was second on the list, ended-up third and went in to theatre at 1pm. The lady after me didn't have a bed and ended-up spending the night in the theatre recovery area as a result. She did have her op, however.

Apart from this initial stress, I couldn't fault the hospital staff, even though my 1 night stay became 4 days!

I have gone private (and I wish it was only 5k!).

The closer it gets, the more scared I am! I keep reading about all the successes, and have convinced everyone around what a standard procedure op it is, but haven't managed to convince myself lol

What op you having?

Back