• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or bypass in 3 Days time. Which one??

Ah just take it steady. I still find I'm getting quite tired but I'm doing a lot more now than I ever did before the op. I guess being a single mum to a 7 year old boy could be the real reason I'm tired ;-)
I've got a really good pedometer off Amazon. They told me to aim for 10,000 steps a day. I managed that last week as I was away at the coast but if I do 6000 a day I'm still pleased with myself. Before the op I'd be lucky if I did 2000!
Good luck xxx

That definitely could be the reason lol :)

I've got my exercise bike out, so I am ready for a bit of exercise Just got to wait a couple more weeks :)

Hi Sleevegirl. How r u doing??

Hi wilko, how are you?

I'm into the swing of things now - tomorrow I'm going to be on my phase 3 (softs). Am quite apprehensive to be honest but looking forward to eating something!

xx :)

Hi wilko, how are you?

I'm into the swing of things now - tomorrow I'm going to be on my phase 3 (softs). Am quite apprehensive to be honest but looking forward to eating something!

xx :)
what differences are there between pureed and soft foods

what differences are there between pureed and soft foods

I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't seen a puréed diet. I assume my softs phase is very similar to the puréed phase? My dietitian says we've got teeth so we can chew! She doesn't like the idea of puréeing food. For example I can eat, spaghetti hoops, mash, cottage cheese, ready break, weetabix, ricotta and lots of other stuff.

Soft food stage is food that can be easily flaked or mashed with a fork. Things like salmon, firmer fish, omelettes, cauliflower cheese etc.

I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't seen a puréed diet. I assume my softs phase is very similar to the puréed phase? My dietitian says we've got teeth so we can chew! She doesn't like the idea of puréeing food. For example I can eat, spaghetti hoops, mash, cottage cheese, ready break, weetabix, ricotta and lots of other stuff.

My dietician says the same thing! He goes against the puree stage and just says to chew, chew, chew! lol

Soft food stage is food that can be easily flaked or mashed with a fork. Things like salmon, firmer fish, omelettes, cauliflower cheese etc.

I love the thought of cauliflower cheese right now :) May do that for Sunday lunch :)

I only tried puréed spag bol food once and it was gross. Tasted nothing like it does when eaten normally. After that I chewed and chewed and that does the same job! I think teeth were invented before blenders ;-)
Good luck to everyone. x

Sashie1977, please may I ask a question? And tell me to go away if you want! What was the reason for going from Sleeve to full bypass? And is there much difference between the two after recovery time? I've had the sleeve but was going to have the bypass. Many thanks.

Sashie1977, please may I ask a question? And tell me to go away if you want! What was the reason for going from Sleeve to full bypass? And is there much difference between the two after recovery time? I've had the sleeve but was going to have the bypass. Many thanks.

I hope you are ready for my incredibly long and boring story! lol

I've had band, to sleeve and now to bypass (of sorts!). It's not a full bypass as my stomach had already been removed so I call it a sleeve-pass lol ;) The band was put in 2007 privately (in the Fern Britton scandal days!) and I had no aftercare whatsoever. It was never right from the start, I was being sick constantly, I never had a "sweet spot", protein never stayed down but the bad stuff did. I lost 8 stone in 3 years before having it completely loosened to go for a surgical procedure. Then of course, the weight piled back on but I was still being sick. I ended up a stone heavier than I was pre-band. I went to a different private hospital for a second opinion and they found my band had slipped badly, my port had flipped and I had stomach damage. They suggested either taking it out altogether or revising it to a sleeve. I knew if they removed it I would be double the size because my brain has never been fixed! So I opted for the sleeve as the bypass freaked me out too much. Unfortunately, the band had been so tight and had slipped so severley, it had cut through my stomach and caused terrible ring of scar tissue, an imprint of the band around my stomach. It was difficult for food to pass through this scar tissue so I was being sick alot again. My bariatric team offered to do a sleeve re-shape/bypass type surgery in it's place to allow food to pass through. I am now 3 weeks post-op and I am so glad I have done it. I should have just gone band-bypass and not bothered with the sleeve, but the sleeve has got me used to eating much smaller portions and eating much slower. I lost 7 1/2 stone with the since September 2012 and I have 1 stone to go to my target.
I'm just so glad I am on the right track now and with my amazing bariatric team, there is no chance of going back to 19 stone for me! xx

Ah bless you. How sad that you had so many problems and damage :-(
I guess I was freaking out that you was going to say the sleeve was no good. I'm 10 weeks post op now and lost 3st9. My doubts there as to wether I should have gone through with the bypass but like you it freaked me out. I feel great although tired, and at present I cannot imagine stretching my sleeve as its painful even if I have one mouthful too much. I guess you can eat junk on top of any weight loss proceedure if you really want to so I know I have to still be very strict! I think I've done the right thing. I am soooo pleased that you're happy now and healthy. Thanks so much for your reply. Take care x

Ah bless you. How sad that you had so many problems and damage :-(
I guess I was freaking out that you was going to say the sleeve was no good. I'm 10 weeks post op now and lost 3st9. My doubts there as to wether I should have gone through with the bypass but like you it freaked me out. I feel great although tired, and at present I cannot imagine stretching my sleeve as its painful even if I have one mouthful too much. I guess you can eat junk on top of any weight loss proceedure if you really want to so I know I have to still be very strict! I think I've done the right thing. I am soooo pleased that you're happy now and healthy. Thanks so much for your reply. Take care x

Wilko, if I hadn't had the band in the first place my sleeve would have been fine. To be honest, the bypass hasn't been as scary as I imagined and my team have a high success rate with it and they have years and years of data on it so I shouldn't have been scared!
Your sleeve will work for you and you will learn what works and what doesn't.
Good luck, and take care xx

Back