• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worrying - blood sugar morning of operation

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Hi can someone help me, i take insulin 4 times a day, but on the morning of my operation im not allowed to take my insulin, my blood sugars have never been great, usually 14 some days, but says on the sheet it over 13 on the day i will be examined, am worrying they would not do my op if they are high but cant have insulin to get it down, help please x

Hi Bexs, I was exactly the same as you before my op 5 x daily insulin. Im now 3 weeks post op Bypass. I noticed a significant change in my blood sugars on the pre-op diet. Due to the fact I was diabetic my dietician said that I could only do the low fat/low carb diet. I decided to do this for 3 weeks instead of the required 2. I was a bit obsessive that my liver would not have shrinked enough but it did. So my sugars reduced and were between 5 and 10 so they were no problems at all on the day of the op. After the op I was on a sliding scale of insulin for the 3 days I was in hospital. Since Ive been home I do 1 injection at night of 40 u/ml compared with 300-350 u/ml pre op. So everything has gone really well so far. Good luck to you. :)

Back