• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OT Horners syndrome???

thinkbethin

As most of you know when I was in hospital I had a bit of a do and my right eye was left drooping. I thought I'd had a TIA (mini stroke) . Usually after 24/48 hours I'm back to normal but not this time. Been to see my gp today who has looked after me for the past 9 years and he was more concerned than I was. He's booked me in for an emergency x-ray in the morning because he thinks its Horners Syndrome. I've never heard of it and just wondered if any of you peeps had experienced it. Googled it but was a bit confused so if anyone could explain in simple term then I would really appreciate it. Thankyou xxGaynorxx

having just looked it up on wiki, this is my understanding; Horner's syndrome can be caused by damage of the sympathetic nervous system during surgery. Sympathetic nervous systom controls various functions, organs and reactions connected to 'fight or flight', thus Horner's syndrome may be more obvious during times of stress. However the most common sympton is pupil dilation and drooping of the eyelid on the effected side, also there may be loss of sweating and flushing on the effected side.
I hope this makes sense. It doesn't sound VERY serious, however you are bound to be concerned. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and someone really in the know can put your mind at rest.

Hi Gaynor sorry not something i know anything abut but i wanted to say i hope you get some information on it soon, and you GP is able to reasure you whichever way the diagnoses goes

Hi Gaynor

Sounds a bit like Bells Palsey which is stress related - it does reverse itself so dont panic. Still Im not a GP so its just a guess. Hang in there.

Hi there, I found this information on MERCK's website, it explains in in plain english and not doctor speak. I hope this helps and I hope you get to the bottom of this and sorted as soon as possible...:grouphugg:

In Horner's syndrome, on one side of the face, the eyelid droops, the pupil is small (constricted), and sweating is decreased. The cause is disruption of the nerve fibers that connect the eye and the brain.

• Horner's syndrome may occur on its own or result from a disorder that disrupts nerve fibers connecting the eyes and brain.
  • The upper eyelid droops, the pupil remains small, and the affected side of the face may sweat less.
  • Doctors test the pupil to see whether it can widen, and may do imaging tests to look for a cause.
  • The cause, if identified, is treated.
Horner's syndrome can develop in people of any age.

Causes
Some of the nerve fibers that connect the eyes and brain take a circuitous route. From the brain, they go down the spinal cord. They exit the spinal cord in the chest, then go back up the neck beside the carotid artery, through the skull, and into the eye. If these nerve fibers are disrupted anywhere along their pathway, Horner's syndrome results. Horner's syndrome may occur on its own or be caused by another disorder. For example, it can be caused by disorders of the head, brain, neck, or spinal cord, such as lung cancer, other tumors, swollen lymph glands in the neck (cervical adenopathy), dissection of the aorta or carotid artery, a thoracic aortic aneurysm, and injuries. Horner's syndrome may be present at birth (congenital).

Symptoms
Horner's syndrome affects the eye on the same side as the disrupted nerve fibers. Symptoms include a drooping upper eyelid (ptosis) and a constricted pupil (miosis). The affected side of the face may sweat less than normal or not at all, and rarely, it appears flushed. In the congenital form, the iris of the affected eye remains blue-gray as it is at birth.

Diagnosis and Treatment
The disorder is suspected based on symptoms. To confirm the diagnosis, doctors may apply eye drops that contain small amounts of cocaine to the affected eye. If the pupil does not widen (dilate) after 30 minutes, Horner's syndrome is diagnosed. Doctors may apply other drugs to the eye later. How the pupil reacts to them indicates the general location of the damage. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) of the brain, spinal cord, chest, or neck is often needed to look for tumors and other serious disorders.
The cause, if identified, is treated. However, there is no specific treatment for Horner's syndrome. Often, no treatment is necessary because, typically, the eyelid only droops very slightly.

Hi Gaynor

Sounds a bit like Bells Palsey which is stress related - it does reverse itself so dont panic. Still Im not a GP so its just a guess. Hang in there.

I thought the same thing. I know 2 people that had it. One after giving birth and the other after having surgery.
Both cleared up but a different rates.

Been for my chest x-ray this morning and radiologists has told me to make an appointment with my gp for friday. Usually they say 7/10 days so at least I'll know then rather than waiting another week. They must know what an inpatient nutter I am lol.

Yea I have to agree with Caroline and Pinky, sounds exactly like Bels Palsy. I first had this when I was 16, the last time I had a full blown attack was when I was pregnant with my son 18 yrs ago. The longest it ever lasted was about 3 months and I was treated with steroids.

When I had it it was accompanied by an aniseedy type of taste in my mouth on the same side as my droopy eye. I was unable to close my eye at night and had to tape it closed. It wasn't painful at all though.

Good luck with your results thinkbethin Xx

you are very welcome hun xx

good luck with the results Gaynor

Hope all goes well Gaynor thinking of you

Jay xx

Hi Gaynor
I`m sorry to hear your still having trouble hun , I`v never heard of it either . My sister had Bels Palsy as well when she was having her daughter 17 years ago and when she smiles you can still see her eye and mouth goes down slightly on one side . Her name is Gaynor as well . I hope its good news for you soon lol . Good luck and take care .
Margaret XX

Back