• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pain after surgery

allrico

Hi all, Well here i am just about recovered though I was gonna die after surgery. No one explained the pain I would enjour after the surgery, thanks folks! I felt trapped in the bed as the wounds were very painful. I was regularly topped up with morphine and other painkillers but never expected the level of discomfort. Was I a sissy or what? What was your experience???

Last edited:
Hi all, Well here i am just about recovered though I was gonna die after surgery. No one explained the pain I would enjour after the surgery, thanks folks! I felt trapped in the bed as the wounds were very painful. I was regularly topped up with morphine and other painkillers but never expected the level of discomfort. Was I a sissy or what? What was your experience???

It sounds like you had a really hard time, I hope it's getting better for you :) Which surgery did you have? I had the VSG last Tuesday and was home Wednesday afternoon. The hospital i was at was second to none and the staff were great. No pain to speak of apart from slight soreness at left wound site (where stomach was removed through). I've been taking soluble paracetamol once or twice a day which has been fine. Of course you're not a sissy, everyone's journey is different. Good luck.

You're not a sissy at all. We all have different pain thresholds and experiences - and if you can't suffer in hospital with people to look after you, where can you suffer????

I am not going to tell you about my experience as you might hate me!!! :8855:

I hope you have a speedy recovery and are feeling better soon x

Hope you are feeling better.

I love Chepstow :)

there is nothing wrong with telling us how much pain your in,i guess everyone is different when it comes to this .I can only hope this passes and things get better for you.all the best

You're not a sissy at all. We all have different pain thresholds and experiences - and if you can't suffer in hospital with people to look after you, where can you suffer????

I am not going to tell you about my experience as you might hate me!!! :8855:

I hope you have a speedy recovery and are feeling better soon x

You can tell me if you like, my op is Weds and all positive tales are welcomed, any bad one's I'm sticking my fingers in my ears (eyes?) and going lalalala :D

I'm glad I have a high pain threshold yesterday on my pre-op after filling 2 pots with blood and sending me to another nurse they realised 2 more pots were needed so stuck the needle into the same hole they used 30 mins previous :8855:

I can confirm. The surgery effing hurts! I've had paracetamol and oramorph and ibuprofen. Still very sore and can't really sleep! :(

Allrico so sorry to hear that you had a difficult time with pain after surgery. Its all very dependent on how high or low your personal pain threshold is tbh. Mines is quite high and although I felt I had been caught in a stampede of kicking horses I didn't require any pain relief ... I did get intravenous paracetamol as a matter of course for two days though but once the dispersible stuff was issued I decided I would rather do without thank you :yuk:
The pain does go eventually thankfully ;) xx

Really sorry to hear all of you who had a rough time with pain. As others have said everyone is different and unfortunately some people seem to have it really bad. :(

I have a very low pain threshold - I even take 3 nurofen when I go to the dentist for just a check up because of how I feel when they give them a clean up :cry: (In fact I'd have my op again over going to the dentist - and I think I've got a really good one).

Saying that the pain I had when I had my sleeve was minimal to non existent, just a bit when I came round fixed with a shot of morphine. 2 days of dispersible paracetamol whilst I was in hospital and that was the total amount of pain killers I took, didn't bother with any when I got home either. The only pain / discomfort I had was the trapped wind pain for a few days but not enough to bother me too much, didn't see the point of taking anything because it came and went very quickly it wasn't an ongoing pain, didn't have any pain from my incision points either or bruising come to think of it.

It does seem that the majority of us have a relatively easy ride but there are some who don't and my heart goes out to all of you who've had a rough time of it.

AE.

Not a sissy, just honest! We all have our own experiences and we are all different. And at least you're over the worst of it now!:)

Just shows how different we all are I had no pain relief at all after my op. Just go with what's right for your body :)

Haha Nicola, I Totally agree, I was in real pain after my op then about 2 days later it really kicked in, Mine is also on my left side where they have used the main port, Its painful when I bend or stretch. Doc said its just where they have cut through Muscle. But Hopefully all worth it in the end.

I'm not so sure it's just to do with pain threshold, it might be due to what you had done during your surgery, by that I mean if it was all plain sailing. I had an unusually small abdomen and some scar tissue so it took my surgeon 6 and a half hours to do the surgery. The gave me morphine and fentanyl before they woke me up and I was still in agony. If they really have to work hard or they have to open you up it will be more painful but the after care in these places is very good and you will get lots of pain relief. The first 24 hours are the worst and you are usually sent home with some strong pain relief too. If you don't feel it's enough, ask for more. Some people don't seem to suffer very much at all and some people find the wind pain after very difficult. I didn't have too much of a problem with that. Whatever happens know that it doesn't last long and when it is all over you won't regret a thing :)

Hello

Sissy!!! :D

No not really - I was in the most pain I'd ever been in even when I had my RNY 19 days ago even when I had in one operation - full tummy tuck, with muscle repair arms and legs cut boobs uplifted 350 stitches.

It's the internal ouch but it does pass quickly xxxxx

But would do it again in a heartbeat so anyone pre-op don't worry xx

Back