• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Paying privately for WLS in the UK - minimum BMI?

angie790

Just a quick question for all of the people that paid privately for their WLS in the UK....I have a friend who is overweight and is looking into privately funding WLS herself. Her BMI is probably around 33, not the heaviest but it is problem enough for her....I'm pretty sure I have read others on here have had a BMI lower than 35 and have still had surgery, but my question is has anyone been refused surgery (even privately) based on their BMI being too low?

You would like to think a reputable surgeon would refuse with a bmi well under 30 but I guess health problems would maybe sway it as well. I definately reckon a bypass under 30 bmi is overkill though

My surgeon, Mr Ammori, said he wouldn't perform a bypass with a BMI of less than 35 but he would do a band. Bypass with a BMI of 33 seems rather extreme.

Most of the private sector still ask for BMI over 35. Not sure i have seen anyone who "advertises" bypass for under 35 and even then they still ask for co-morbidities. Band might be more likely.

Its weird and understandable that they put it at 35...but surely all that would encourage would be people over eating to get a higher BMI?!
Cant help Im afraid but good luck to your friend x

Its weird and understandable that they put it at 35...but surely all that would encourage would be people over eating to get a higher BMI?!

The same could be said for the NHS as well.

Most of the private sector still ask for BMI over 35.

That is what I suspected....she's been doing some research & is looking at either the band or a gastric sleeve and I told her honestly I wasn't sure whether anyone would perform the sleeve given her (relatively) low BMI & also as she has no co-morbidities. Cheers for your replies. xxx

Back