• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT funding application, please help me plan

As far as I am aware any kind of operation or treatment that a person requires at NHS hospital requires funding. Each year the hospitals are given a budget for staff, buildings and all medical services that they provide. Bits are set aside for different things and for examply obesity surgery they will receive an amount of money. When a person is referred by their GP to the PCT they have to ensure the person with the most need gets the op, its not first come first served. They look at all the criteria ie weight, health, what has been tried before and surgeons recommendations. This is all taken into account and they then say yes or no. I have never heard that if your BMI is over a certain amount in a certain area you get it without the funding as the money has to come from someones budget. Hence when they run out of money they make budget cuts and salaries etc get reduced. Hope this helps. Linda x

They might have meant that the pct automatically approve it if it's over 50? Not sure where to find the info aside from looking to see if your local PCT has a website, or going through your local PALS service?

Hi Shellbel

thanks again for the idea's that you have helped me with.

I wrote a letter as you suggested to the PCT and I gave it to my doctor yesterday to include it with my PCT funding application. I wrote down all the effects of my weight problem.

I recieved the consultants endocrinologist letter today, it is supporting the need for the WLS. It was a very strong letter. It was he thats suggested the WLS.

My hopes are high. I know I might have a battle on my hands but the fact that I have got this far is very up lifting.

charliegirl,

I hope that is the case. I think I deserve it after all of my efforts to help myself over the many years. In my area you need to have diabetes or sleep apnea in order to get automatic funding. I do not have any. Even thou my BMI is 49 I still need to have a strong case. I can only sit and wait.

Do you know how I find out when my PCT sit?

Last edited:
They usually sit once a month but I was told that its not first come first served if there were more requests from people with higher criteria than you they would be dealt with first. Not good I know I had this out with my PCT the lady was yuck to me and told me point blank that in her opinion it would not happen for me and that it would be two years weight management. I was in floods of tears with her. If its any consolation I spoke to my local PALS department and she said the PCT woman has a tough job and she is there to put people off, keep positive....Linda x

Back