• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT Surgery Funding Criteria

More money is being pumped into prevention, rather than 'cure'.

I think that is why the physicians at weight management actively have tried to discourage me from having surgery. The problem is, we are entitled to one year of weight managment. I startted weight managment approx 14st over weight. That could never be done in a year. The support is great. But it would need to continue aslong as people need it. Then weight watchers and slimming world would probably have something to say though (though I know GP's can refer anyone over 11 to them now anyway for 12 weeks free)

Loving your work Fuffs!

The disparity between boroughs is really annoying. Bexley has their own criteria. Neighbouring boroughs literally a couple miles away follow NICE guidelines. You shouldn't have to play gp roulette for referrals. x

Glad you appreciate my cunning mastermind lol

On the postcode thing, in Birmingham South Birmingham PCT follow NICE guidelines. Birmingham East and North and Heart of Birmingham PCT's follow much higher guidelines. My hospital told me even though I was under South Birtmingham, I would be funded under BEN's criteria. They have been telling people this since Jan and were wrong!!

So not is there a massive difference in neighbouring PCT's funding, the hospitals themselves are either getting it wrong, or misleading people to come them on the whole year of weight management. Maybe weight management wont gets its funding if no one finishes the year. As you only have to do 6 months here to fit the criteria.

It is unfair and very confusing :(

i had to put nearly a stone on before my gp would refer me now i feel so fat but at least i got my referal good luck hun x

It is sad that you and others have had to do this to get anywhere. The NHS really need to look at what they are pushing people to do. Desparate times call for desperate measures.

I hope it works out for as many people as it can do in the end xxx

I will spare you the details of how. But, I saw the gp this morning and bmi was 50.1. He is referring finally! Lol

Yeah !!!!!! Well done hun & good luck x

Yay!!! Well done!!! The nosey bleeder in me would love to know the details lol

Whoop whoop well dun ;) x good luck hun

Thanks peeps! I am relieved. Now we'll see how long it takes for him to follow through. I'm looking into cosmetic Bliss as a possible alternative as well if it doesn't work out. x

Snow White said:
Thanks peeps! I am relieved. Now we'll see how long it takes for him to follow through. I'm looking into cosmetic Bliss as a possible alternative as well if it doesn't work out. x

Always good to have a possible plan if you have the finances to cover it :)

Sounds like a plan! Lets set up a BBW crime ring and make money for all those who can't get funding lol....Then any let over money can go to those who are losing weight so fast they can't afford to keep up with the clothes needed lol

Its a win win as far as I can see! lol
im in!!! :D

i was told by my surgeon to go away and gain 6lbs to take my bmi up to 50. I went back 2 months later having gained 8lbs and he then said i automatically qualified!!!!
I did go in wearing heavy boots and pockets full of loose change, honestly... Everyone i told could not believe i was told to go away and gain weight.

Caren said:

Yay!!! Let's plan our first heist!!! Lol

Stuckinafatsuit: that's crazy!!! I am astounded! Never heard that one before lol. I guess it was better than a blank no lol

My gp had said go nuts and eat to gain. He was willing to help me. But, not unless it's gained first. It's crap and humiliating.

Yay!!! Well done!!! The nosey bleeder in me would love to know the details lol
It was a bit of plan B, combined with xmas excess...lol

Always good to have a possible plan if you have the finances to cover it :)
I don't have the finance by any stretch of the imagination...This is the beg, borrow, steal option. May need to refer back to plan B combined with some quicky trips to Columbia to do that one. LMAO A girl can dream...lol

i had to put nearly a stone on before my gp would refer me now i feel so fat but at least i got my referal good luck hun x

This sucks we have to make ourselves less healthy!! Stupidly the GB costs more is the bmi is over 50. Good for you sweetie!

Central Lancs PCT certainly dont use Nice guidelines. I fit under Nice guidelines but the PCT like many have now upped the limit. Having to look at self funding, hopefully if I can get the money from somewhere.

These stories annoy me so much it's a postcode lottery isnt it and playing with people's lives. I hope you manage to self fund.... I tried and failed first medical seemed a good company to go through

I feel the postcode lottery is unfair too. It is also sad that NICE is not a legal requirement and just a guideline :(

Back