• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

funding medway pct

jasonslaphead

Has anyone been through weight loss surgery funded by medway pct? I was in to see my GP today and she seemed to think that they dont do it , she did however say she would write to the pct regarding the possibility of surgery and what proceedure they follow to get the funding sorted. I was looking at the bospa website and medway is one of the few that didnt provide any information on funding criteria which doesnt look very hopefull for me .

You can contact your local PALS office and ask them to get you a copy of the funding policy for bariatric surgery. It's often part of the Low Clinical Priority funding policy.

Sorry Jason but I had a sleeve op when I lived in Medway 2 yrs ago, but had to pay privately. I did make some enquiries with the PCT but they couldn't help - might be better if you have some co-morbidities (I didn't). Now moved to Warwickshire and just had the second part of the DS and their criteria is worse - need to have a BMI of >65!! The ridiculous thing they don't seem to realise is that many people are so desperate they might eat themselves silly just to get to the "right" BMI!

If you can, or want to, go private I can recommend my excellent surgeon who has one of the best reputations but charges less than many others.

I shall e mail the pal's office keep my fingers crossed and see what they say. I dont think going private would be an option right now.

hi, someone i know lives in herne bay and she got nhs funding for her bypass op but had to go to st.richards in chichester, hope this helps :)

Medway is a unitary authority and has its own PCT - Herne Bay would come under Thanet I think. Just didn't want Jason to raise his hopes - there again, nothing wrong with having hopes and dreams!

hi jason
i live in gillingham and am having gastric bypass on the nhs funded by the medway pct so they do fund it but was hard work i suffer many co morbities so thats the reason i got it also my friend has just been accepted for bypass by medway pct they use shaw somers as there surgeon at st richards in chichester

got a call from the gp saying they have heard from the pct saying that they have recieved the letter from the gp and its going to whoever it is that makes the funing decisions. I get the impression that the gp surgery isnt confident but its got to be worth trying. have to wait and see what they say now.

Last edited:
fingers crossed for you. Even if your GP is clueless, as was mine, so long as they do the referral correctly it will proceed like everyone elses.
I had to advise my GP that there was a 6 month waiting list, also have been explaining the process to her as she hasnt a clue about referrals or weightloss surgery, thinks shes getting herself more clued up now as she did throw some comments in this time lol.

Dont rely on just your GP use your PALS they are brilliant at helping :D

Back