• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help Please! Been offered a Lap Band for free!

Hi everyone, my name is Caroline. I'm 26 and live in Kent. Introduction over, I need your help please!!!

I responded to an report I saw in the press about a clinic offering someone the chance to have a lap band as they trying to highlight the issue of obesity etc. This is not a back street clinic or anything, it's a genuine offer with a Harley Street doctor. I never thought I'd get through but thought it was too big a chance to miss.

Well, I've got through and they have offered me a lapband (although I will have to do press promotion) free of charge including all the bits and bobs that I don't know about, full support for 12 months etc etc! They are saying I could see the surgeon (Professor Hakim) next week and could have the operation at the beginning of September!

But now I have to say, I'm absolutely pooing myself!!! Is this really a good thing for me to go ahead with?? I'm a single parent to a 2yr old and I'm terrified that it will make me unable to look after her i.e. is my mobility affected in way, shape or form. I have always been overweight and have dreamed of being slim and now I'm being offered the chance and I'm terrified!!!

Have any of you ever regretted it? Do you think it was the best decision you've ever made?
I would really appreciate all advice, comments etc because I am seriously terrified. It has all happened so quickly and I'm so nervous about leaving myself in terrible pain or something just because I wanted to be slim! (I'm not a total wimp, was a horrific labour and ended up with an emergency C-Section so am used to a bit of pain!! ha ha!)

Many thanks in advance!

Caroline x

Hi and welcome to Minis. I had my lap band fitted on July 14th. Totally no regrets - the op was much easier (with a quick recovery) than I expected and although it takes you a while to get your head around having a band for me it has been a 100% positive experience.
Ultimately, only you can ever know if it is the right decision for you, but something made you respond to that ad......seems like too good an opportunity to miss out on for me.
If you have any questions, just shout, there are quite a lot of banders on here now and we are all always happy to help with any queries. Good luck with making your decision x

Thank you, I really appreciate the reply!
I don't think I ever expected to be accepted for the surgery and now it all seems to be going very quickly so I'm in a bit of shock about it.
I just don't want to do something that would affect how I care for my daughter just for selfish reasons (well, health reasons too I guess!).

I think I would be a fool to turn it down. After a lifetime of unhealthy eating and obesity, this could be my chance to have a normal relationship with food! I got choosen out of over 1,000 people so I have to think how lucky I am too! Apparently their criteria was who was the most deserving case rather than who was the biggest and they think that because I'm young and I don't want my daughter to grown up with my eating issues, I'm a deserving case who would get the most out of life after having the op.

I'm really pleased I found this site, will hopefully make the whole thing a lot less scary and surreal!!!

Thanks again for your reply!
x

Just wanted to say good luck with whatever you decide! how lucky to be picked out of all those people, it's a great opportunity for you. x

Hi

I understand you are scared.......... I was too when i was told i was accepted for my surgery on the NHS..... it felt so real then!!!! I have an eight year old..... and the way i looked at it was.... me bing big and overweight had far more implications for him, than me doing this...... I wanted to be able to run with him, play... and ultimetely him not be ashamed of me and my size!!!!!!!!

any operation is a big choice, and it is wonderful that you have this oppurtunity!!!!! as someone has said it is your choice.......... and only you can decide!!!! we are all here to support you in whatever you decide....

I had the bypass, and i have had a few minor complications but I can honestly say I DONT REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sending you my thoughts

Hi,

Wow, how lucky are you??:D At the end of the day it is a big decision, and only you can make it. As said before, something made you reply to the ad, but it is so fantastic that you are the chosen one, and being offered an opportunity to change your life! Once I made the decision for my RNY, there was no looking back, just looking to the future for a more happier and healthier me! I have 2 young girls, and of course I was scared for them if something happened to me. But it didnt, and I am on my way to a more active life with them!

Good luck with whatever you decide, I wish you well with your journey!

Kelly xx

Hi there,

I had a band fitted four weeks ago - and I don't regret it at all!

I think the decision you need to make is: If you had a spare £7,000, would you choose to get the band done? If the answer is yes, then grab this opportunity with both hands. If the answer is no or I don't know, then don't rush into anything just because it's free.

I think you will be fine from the point of view of caring for your daughter. As long as you get help for the first few days when you will be sore, you'll be fine. The recovery is not bad at all! The struggle is more about learning what to eat, when to eat and how to eat - it's a whole new education!

Let us know what you decide...

Alice xx

Hi just wanted to say good luck with whatever you decide. I had a band fitted on 23rd July and dont regret it at all. I was surprised how quickly I felt fine afterwards. Was sore for a few days but the worse thing I found was the trapped wind. If you can get someone to help you for a few days and dont over do things I am sure you will be fine.
Good Luck with your decision making
Lesley xx

Hi
Congratulations on getting chosen for the gastric band, well done! Like the other's have said Only you can make that decision but just think how much more active you would be and to be able to do more outdoor sports like swimming or cycling etc with your daughter as she grows older.
Is your weight increasing or is it stable and are you happy with how you look? If the answer is no your not happy with your weight or how you look then you know which answer to take. this sounds like a once in a million offer as this surgery is extremly hard to get on the NHS and as the other ladies have said who have gone private it's very expensive but the decision is yours and I wish you well with whatever decision you decide.I'm unable to comment on the recover as I'm having a FTT in sept but there's plenty of people on here who will really help you.;);)
sending you hugs and Take care
Tria xxx

Hi Caroline

It sounds really great that you have been offered a free lap band op, and like all the others advice i personally think you have to be ready and set in your mind about doing this. Also for me going through the entire process has been a very personal thing, do you know how much press exposure you will have ? I'm not ashamed of my pending op but i'm not sure i'd really like everyone and anyone who's ever known me to know my business ! maybe just questions you should be asking, though the thought of someone else paying and not having to go through indignity of PCT funding does sound rather appealing !

Good luck though which ever way you decide to go

Richard:wave_cry:

Professor Hakim did my Lap Band and its the best thing i ever did !! He is one of London's Top surgeons , friendly and put me at ease at every stage. If your able to get it for free with him ( u lucky lucky thing !) don't think twice !! ha ha . His service's cost me just over 7K and before i went ahead i umm'd and ahh'd but i can tell you from knowing him .....My life has changed and i owe it all to him. Go for it ! xxx

Back