• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help me out! I know nothing!

Hello everyone :)

I'm just looking into wls at the moment and would like some general advice. I'm nearly 25 and at uni, but my weight is causing me so many problems emotionally and I think it's starting to physically have an effect too, my asthma is worse for example. I don't know exactly but I think my BMI is somewhere around 37. I was thinking about perhaps having the gastric band, as it's more affordable for me to start with and also I don't seem to have as much weight to lose as lots of people who have other procedures.
The thing is, I'd like to get it done asap and this would mean taking out a loan, either through my dad as I am unemployed, who I would then pay gradually or else one of those awful high apr loans.

I was wondering are there any hidden expenses associated with wls? I was looking at The Hospital Group who say everything is included. I also would need a quick ish recovery as I am in my final year at uni and live alone (other than my cat, Sweetpea :kitty:).

I really don't know anything. How long does the weight take to come off? Do you need lots of follow ups? Will I ever be able to eat 'normally' again?

Please help me!

I paid privately to have a bypass done via THG, after visiting the surgeon I could have had my operation in less than 2 weeks, I'm not sure on your banding questions but I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help you out :)

I am 8 weeks post op (Bypass) and have lost almost 4 st

Please do your research and don't choose your op according to your finances. have a few consultations and if possible speak to your gp. if you pick the wrong op because its cheaper you will struggle to be successful - the op should match your medical needs and eating habits.

Hello everyone :)

I'm just looking into wls at the moment and would like some general advice. I'm nearly 25 and at uni, but my weight is causing me so many problems emotionally and I think it's starting to physically have an effect too, my asthma is worse for example. I don't know exactly but I think my BMI is somewhere around 37. I was thinking about perhaps having the gastric band, as it's more affordable for me to start with and also I don't seem to have as much weight to lose as lots of people who have other procedures.
The thing is, I'd like to get it done asap and this would mean taking out a loan, either through my dad as I am unemployed, who I would then pay gradually or else one of those awful high apr loans.

I was wondering are there any hidden expenses associated with wls? I was looking at The Hospital Group who say everything is included. I also would need a quick ish recovery as I am in my final year at uni and live alone (other than my cat, Sweetpea :kitty:).

I really don't know anything. How long does the weight take to come off? Do you need lots of follow ups? Will I ever be able to eat 'normally' again?

Please help me!

I think its difficult to say how long weight takes to come off... Those with more to lose tend lose more initially and regularly, the less you have the more stubborn it is, though with a BMI of around 37, same as me depending on how tall you are means you have about 4-6 stone to lose, so I would give yourself 6 months - 9 months... then the really hard bit starts = maintenance....
Good luck with your quest - there are plenty of peeps here that can give you fab advice xx

I used the hospital group to have my band, I am 14 days post op today, the price is all inclusive with no extra's. Like you I am at university too as a mature student. I saw Mr Super who suggested the band, I booked in for the 5th January so that I did not miss any of my course, I would say it took me 10 days to fully recover. Why not go and have a free consultation with them, they will give you dates that they have available and you can fit in around your course, might be worth having it february half term or Easter. If you want any advice please let me know. Cannot fault the hospital group.

I think you need to evaluate in more depth what it is you want from surgery..

Remember that WLS is a life changing thing and you need to be prepared for all aspects of it..:confused:

Maybe read some of our diaries/Journeys and see what we have experienced..
Its not to be taken lightly...as I say this is life changing in more than one way

Its a difficult journey for some and not to be seen as a quick get out or an easy option :/
I take it you have tried slimming clubs, Diets, GP support etc etc..;)

WLS I think should be a final option...:)

It is not an easy way out of us over eating......

Think long and hard do not jump at it
xxxx

i had a band fitted private at a spire hospital which came with 2 years all inclusive care. I will just reiterate what val has said really. Its no easier than dieting you have to be ready for the physical and mental changes that will take place. If your a sweet eater you will have to have bags of balls to say no to those sugary treats as they slip through the band anyway meaning you can still eat them.

I'm three and a half months out i lost a stone pre op and two stone post op totalling 3 stone. Its hard t say how quick you will lose as everyones bodies and determination is different. It will also depend how much work your willing to put in, in terms of exercise etc! So its all relative. If you want good results prepare to work super hard for it. It takes time and dedication. I recovered fairly quickly i would say about 10 days post op was the turning point for me. Wls has changed my life for the better, but its not just the band thats done it for me its me as well, i have worked my bum off since september to get to where i am now.

If your thinking of opting for a band go and check out bandedwendy on you tube. I found her an inspiration when i was looking into wls, and shes also very honest about her journey start from the very first video.

I hope you find all the info you need and good luck with your choices. x x x

also i eat 'normally' for someone with a gastric band. Its difficult to say what your band will and wont tolerate because everyones bodies are different. I have had 3 or 4 follow ups since surgery, (1 dietician appt, 1 fill appointment, 1 appt with the surgeon and another with the bariatric nurse)

I was banded by THG and can't fault them, but I had done a massive amount of research on different procedures and providers. All WLS takes a lot of work, and it's really important that you make sure the procedure you choose is one that will address your own particular eating issues.
Visit a few providers, go in open-minded on which procedure is best, be completely honest about your eating habits and see what they suggest.

It's a lot of money to spend on something that's not the best solution for you - banding might be the best fit but it pays dividends to make sure of that before you've handed over the cash!

Do plenty of research and make the right choice according to your behaviours and personal situation. Surgery is not 100% the answer! All wls requires some effort and discipline, as you will still be in control of what you pop in your mouth; and all can fail potentially. Regarding normal eating ... Depends what you class that as? You certainly won't be able to eat what you currently eat, but enjoy food, yes definitely you can do that post-op but just in smaller quantities :) speed wise, it's not advisable to compare to others as it can sometimes lead to disappointment.

Having said all of that, i was a snacker, enjoyed sweet food, and volumes ... So would have benefitted from any of the surgeries, but chose the band as it was less invasive. I had my band with the hospital group, have had fantastic service from them, lost over 11 stones (8.5 of those, getting me to my target in 9 months), and my starting bmi was 45.1. I love my band.

Suggest picking up the phone to a few providers and having a free consultation if you can, to chat through your behaviours / medical history etc and discuss options ..l

Welcome :)

Thanks people, you're all so helpful!
Like many people I have tried every method of weight loss going, had some success with the cambridge diet a few years back, but never quite made it to normal BMI and for many reasons gained it all back, lost it, and then gained it back plus some. I'm at the point in my life where I really feel my weight is going to have the biggest impact on my progress down 'life lane' as it were. I know surgery is not the miracle answer but I believe the extra help,motivation from fairly quick losses (ie not .5 pounds every 2 weeks like my friend is currently dealing with on slimming world) and the investment into it financially and emotionally will really help. I would love to go the gym and especially to go swimming, but I need to lose some before I feel comfortable doing so regularly. I feel like wls would help me on my way to a maintainable healthy lifestyle because the way I live now is just not me.

I did what you suggested and rang around a bit, and I have a free consultation set up with THG on the 30th, simply because they are the closest to me. From talking on the phone, it seems like the bypass and sleeve are very invasive in comparison to the band, which appeals to me. Plus I like the sound of the quicker recovery :)

I used the hospital group to have my band, I am 14 days post op today, the price is all inclusive with no extra's. Like you I am at university too as a mature student. I saw Mr Super who suggested the band, I booked in for the 5th January so that I did not miss any of my course, I would say it took me 10 days to fully recover. Why not go and have a free consultation with them, they will give you dates that they have available and you can fit in around your course, might be worth having it february half term or Easter. If you want any advice please let me know. Cannot fault the hospital group.

Hi Donna, How are you finding it post op? Are there any effects you're finding on your study? I'm still undergrad but hoping to do a pgce next year, so it would be easiest for me to do it this year. Half term seems good, just got to look into things!

Iv just finished my two week post op fluid diet which I found a lot easier than the pre op diet, yesterday I started the puree diet, found it hard to swallow much food, took about twenty minutes to eat about two tablespoons of food, saving loads on food shopping. Oh and two weeks post op I've managed to drop one dress size.

Which surgeon are you seeing at the hospital group? do your research on them as I changed my first surgeon after reading on line reviews. I really recommend Mr Super, you can watch him on you-tube, he started the Obesity Clinic at Heartlands Hospital.

Iv just finished my two week post op fluid diet which I found a lot easier than the pre op diet, yesterday I started the puree diet, found it hard to swallow much food, took about twenty minutes to eat about two tablespoons of food, saving loads on food shopping. Oh and two weeks post op I've managed to drop one dress size.

Which surgeon are you seeing at the hospital group? do your research on them as I changed my first surgeon after reading on line reviews. I really recommend Mr Super, you can watch him on you-tube, he started the Obesity Clinic at Heartlands Hospital.

Congratulations on dropping a size, you must feel great! Do you feel hungry or are you getting emotional hunger or anything?
I'm seeing Mr Richardson, but Dr Super has some appointments the 12th and 26th February so I can always switch if needed. I haven't found any reviews Mr Richardson so far but I'll still be searching for a while and I'll check out Mr Super too.

I was addicted to food before my banding, I could eat far more than my husband, even the pre op diet, I found so hard and was dreaming about food. It hit home when I weighed a few stone heavier than my husband. When I went to see Mr Super, I was 20 Stone! he was fab, told me it would take 14 years with exercise to lose the weight, he said the band would suit me but it's not a quick fix, it can take two years to lose the weight, 1 - 2 lbs a week with a calorie controlled diet. He explained about the band and put myself at ease, I booked in for surgery a month later.

The two week pre op diet, omg, this is hard after eating large quantities of food, I have an intolerance to milk and had i had to swop from the milk diet to the low carb low sugar diet, that helped me lose 11lbs before the op. As soon as the band was fitted I never felt hungry again, Mr Super said he put in a 10ml band which was nice and snug, he only put in 1 mls of fluid, most other surgeons use a 14ml and put in 4 mls of fluid straight away, he said I should feel restriction straight away, which I did. I am booked in for an in fill on the 20th February but don't think I need it.

Now I can sit around the table with the family watch them eat loads and not feel any temptation to want to eat. I dont feel hungry at all, but I make sure that I am having 3 meals a day, and my calorie intake is around 700 at the moment, but I need to get this up to around a 1000, Iv just jumped on the scales this morning and I am 18 stone 5lbs, so I am chuffed with my weight loss so far, cant wait to get under the next stone.

You won't regret having surgery, well maybe for the first two days when you have wind!

How is it going? Still well?

I had my consultation at Dolan Park this evening, with Mr Richardson and then saw Sally. I feel really reassured now and I particularly liked being referred to as a 'small' patient! I laughed a lot over that one, I'm never at the lower end of the scale :D

Well I'm going to have a think about it, mostly how to finance the surgery, but I am feeling pretty positive about it now!

glad it all went well

They gave me a telephone number of a finance company who did 0% interest, cant remember who it is, but if you phone Sally she will send you a link to their website, its nothing to do with THG, but they recommend them. I was going to use my student loan to pay for mine but my mum offered to pay so that I could have it done sooner, I love my mum!

I was addicted to food before my banding, I could eat far more than my husband, even the pre op diet, I found so hard and was dreaming about food. It hit home when I weighed a few stone heavier than my husband. When I went to see Mr Super, I was 20 Stone! he was fab, told me it would take 14 years with exercise to lose the weight, he said the band would suit me but it's not a quick fix, it can take two years to lose the weight, 1 - 2 lbs a week with a calorie controlled diet. He explained about the band and put myself at ease, I booked in for surgery a month later.

The two week pre op diet, omg, this is hard after eating large quantities of food, I have an intolerance to milk and had i had to swop from the milk diet to the low carb low sugar diet, that helped me lose 11lbs before the op. As soon as the band was fitted I never felt hungry again, Mr Super said he put in a 10ml band which was nice and snug, he only put in 1 mls of fluid, most other surgeons use a 14ml and put in 4 mls of fluid straight away, he said I should feel restriction straight away, which I did. I am booked in for an in fill on the 20th February but don't think I need it.

Now I can sit around the table with the family watch them eat loads and not feel any temptation to want to eat. I dont feel hungry at all, but I make sure that I am having 3 meals a day, and my calorie intake is around 700 at the moment, but I need to get this up to around a 1000, Iv just jumped on the scales this morning and I am 18 stone 5lbs, so I am chuffed with my weight loss so far, cant wait to get under the next stone.

You won't regret having surgery, well maybe for the first two days when you have wind!
Hi Donna.
Have found your posts interesting as I am having my band with Mr Super tomorrow too with THG.
It sounds like I will be in good hands. It's always nice to hear good stories before having your own surgery. You are doing so well. hope I do too. xx

Back