• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

"I know nothing"... Advice please

tuu

Hello everyone,
I have literally just come back from my GP after an appointment to have my diabetic review and whilst I was there I mentioned to him about the fact I had been considering asking him about weight loss surgery....now this isn't something I did just off the cuff you understand I have been thinking about it for a few years but to be honest didn't know where to start looking , then one of my clients(I'm a hairdresser) told me she was having it done and since then which was 2 years ago I have been questioning her. she got cold feet on her first surgery date but re booked the following year with the aid of a years worth of counselling and meetings etc. and had it done in Dec 14 ... she has now lost nearly 5 stone and looks and feels amazing and this is what has prompted me to ask him the question. He is going to refer me to St Richards in Chichester and told me I may have to wait a while for them to contact me... so my question is to you lovely lot what happens next and how does it all work ... I'm excited to have made the first move but I'm scared and emotional too...im 45 and have a bmi of 53 and weigh about 23stone and I have spent most of my adult life yo yo dieting losing then putting on bottom line is I love my food but I'm scared now I've been diagnosed with diabetes and know I need to take control. My GP put me on orlistat today anyone got any experience of these I'm a hairdresser and don't want this medication to effect my work !!! if you know what I mean....looking forward to some advice ..thanks xxx

That's great first step I was referred about 18 months ago referred jam 2014 , I have my surgery date for 7th August x once referred I waited over 3 months for first appointment was education session then few months later dietitian then 3 months after was seen my consultant , dietitian and nurse he was happy to add me dietitian was not went back to see dietitian at Christmas and had put weight on went back after new year 7kg loss and was seen again my consultant around April this year which is when I was listed xx if that helps I live in Derbyshire so guess all areas are different

That's great first step I was referred about 18 months ago referred jam 2014 , I have my surgery date for 7th August x once referred I waited over 3 months for first appointment was education session then few months later dietitian then 3 months after was seen my consultant , dietitian and nurse he was happy to add me dietitian was not went back to see dietitian at Christmas and had put weight on went back after new year 7kg loss and was seen again my consultant around April this year which is when I was listed xx if that helps I live in Derbyshire so guess all areas are different

Thank you so much for your post ...7th August not long now to wait ...I bet your excited and apprehensive too... good luck with it all...what surgery are you having.? can you tell me what it means when people talk about tiers on here ...sorry I'm just learning the lingo ...lol xxx

Hi I was on orlistat for about a year, although these did help me lose some weight in the long run my body just got used to them and they stopped working for me, also I was forever going to the toilet, one of the not so nice side effects to them. I put all the weight I lost back on :(

Hi I was on orlistat for about a year, although these did help me lose some weight in the long run my body just got used to them and they stopped working for me, also I was forever going to the toilet, one of the not so nice side effects to them. I put all the weight I lost back on :(

Hi thankyou for the info ..yes since returning from the gp I have read up on orlistat and the side effects sound rather grim!!! being a hairdresser I don't think these would be good for me not nice to be working with public and having to run to loo all the time . . and some say other effects are not very nice atall and I'd rather not have this ...it does say you have to have a low fat diet and control the amount of fat intake and I think we'll if you do that anyway you'll lose weight I guess it means when taking these if side effects are grim it's a reason not to eat fat.
I am hopeing to lose a bit of weight by cutting down and then fingers crossed I will get appointment through soon with chichester. xx

Hi thankyou for the info ..yes since returning from the gp I have read up on orlistat and the side effects sound rather grim!!! being a hairdresser I don't think these would be good for me not nice to be working with public and having to run to loo all the time . . and some say other effects are not very nice atall and I'd rather not have this ...it does say you have to have a low fat diet and control the amount of fat intake and I think we'll if you do that anyway you'll lose weight I guess it means when taking these if side effects are grim it's a reason not to eat fat. I am hopeing to lose a bit of weight by cutting down and then fingers crossed I will get appointment through soon with chichester. xx

Yes they are not the best thing to take whilst working cause when you need to go you will need to go lol no other nicer way to say it. Wishing you the best of luck with your weight loss journey. X

Hello and welcome

Welcome! :)

I think it depends on the NHS Trust you are under. I'm in Berkshire and after my initial appointment had to lose a certain amount of weight.

Whilst doing that I also had to book onto some lifestyle sessions. These were group sessions that gave you info on the process, the different options and we also got to meet people that had already had the surgery. I don't think I'd feel half as ready as I do without attending these.

I then met the consultant again and had lost my required weight and was referred to the surgery team.

I had my first appointment in June 2014 and have my op on 7th September 2015, so it's taken 16 months.

Don't be afraid to chase either... If I hadn't heard anything with 3 weeks of appointments about the next stage, I'd call up and ask if there was an update. Seemed to speed things along slightly.

Hope this helps :)

Welcome! :)

I think it depends on the NHS Trust you are under. I'm in Berkshire and after my initial appointment had to lose a certain amount of weight.

Whilst doing that I also had to book onto some lifestyle sessions. These were group sessions that gave you info on the process, the different options and we also got to meet people that had already had the surgery. I don't think I'd feel half as ready as I do without attending these.

I then met the consultant again and had lost my required weight and was referred to the surgery team.

I had my first appointment in June 2014 and have my op on 7th September 2015, so it's taken 16 months.

Don't be afraid to chase either... If I hadn't heard anything with 3 weeks of appointments about the next stage, I'd call up and ask if there was an update. Seemed to speed things along slightly.

Hope this helps :)

thankyou so much for your advice ....its all do new to me although I do have a client who had a gastric bypass in Dec 14 and I saw her this week ..6 1/2 stone lighter and looking and feeling amazing which has spured me on ...she said that at chichester last year when she started the 3 tier weightloss course they stopped it half way through and said they are not doing that anymore....has anyone got any more up to date information please. xx

Orlistat..remain close to the toilet and don't trump...it won't be wind it will be liquid fat you blow out!
I lost nothing with it I just found it justified me eating more as I was popping out the fat!
Good luck with your WLS journey!!

I have tried oristalat twice and found that I was housebound as I had orange oil leaking out my behind!! Sorry for the horrid term lol. I would definitely not recommend it to someone that has a busy lifestyle.

I have tried oristalat twice and found that I was housebound as I had orange oil leaking out my behind!! Sorry for the horrid term lol. I would definitely not recommend it to someone that has a busy lifestyle.

I was the same, not very nice at all....lol

I read somewhere the other day that you have to have tried various diets, and diet pills before being considered for NHS surgery, is this true? Because I really don't want to have to take them, they sound evil, and I already have colitis and don't want my bowel messed up more!

My doctor told me that I would have to try them and ive got ulcerative collitus and ibs too, but I gave them a go just so.thwy can see I've tried them, it wasn't for me tho. Xx

I read somewhere the other day that you have to have tried various diets, and diet pills before being considered for NHS surgery, is this true? Because I really don't want to have to take them, they sound evil, and I already have colitis and don't want my bowel messed up more!

I'm not sure if you have to try them because I was the one who asked my dr for them, I got in there first lol. But they do ask at 1st appointment if you have tried them. X

They sound really grim .....I think I will just say I tried bug not for me if he asks. I would rather starve than have that happen to be honest.

I've tried them twice and for about a month each time, the first time I had one tablet after each meal but that was too much! The second time the doctor said to just start off on one a day and increase it but again it just did not agree with me. Xx

Back