• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help me out! I know nothing!

I think Yvessa is right. From what you initially posted, have you really thought this through rather than thought about it?

Surgery is not a quick fix. There is some mortality risk involved. It's anything up to six weeks before your body completely overcomes the post operative effects. I finished up going back in to hospital for seven days only a day after coming out - which was partly me not taking the consultant's advice to stay in an extra night, partly a bleed into the abdominal wall and partly poor recovery from the anaesthesia. But I do not have one single regret.

What really concerns me is that you are considering this by reference to cost, not to whether or not a procedure, whichever one, is appropriate, the surgeon's track record or the statistically most likely outcome.

If I had decided on price, I might have had the procedure in Eastern Europe or India. As a result, I might have found myself taking a turn for the worse, as I did, but on a flight back to the UK.

The surgery is life changing. Please think about it properly, consult your GP, undertake thorough research, then think about it some more.

One final thought, you ask if you will be able to eat normally again. To achieve the BMI I had seemed like normal eating; it was not, I gained weight by eating more than I needed, we do it for whatever reason, it's there or it's emotional or any number of other reasons. Fundamentally the human body has not adapted to changed circumstances, there is an abundance of food available to most of us, much of the time full of easily absorbed calories. But our bodies are still those of hunter gatherers and tell us to keep eating because we do not know when the next meal is coming; it was normal then but it's not now.

Hope your op went well Sparklysue, I've lost two stone now since my pre diet which I started on 26th December so feel chuffed. Mr Super is really good! let me know how you are getting on

They gave me a telephone number of a finance company who did 0% interest, cant remember who it is, but if you phone Sally she will send you a link to their website, its nothing to do with THG, but they recommend them. I was going to use my student loan to pay for mine but my mum offered to pay so that I could have it done sooner, I love my mum!

How lovely of her! I'm an undergrad, no way I'll get a loan from anyone lol :cry: But if I decide to go through with surgery before I am permanently working my Dad might take a loan out for me so I can hit lots of different costs in one go!

I think Yvessa is right. From what you initially posted, have you really thought this through rather than thought about it?

Surgery is not a quick fix. There is some mortality risk involved. It's anything up to six weeks before your body completely overcomes the post operative effects. I finished up going back in to hospital for seven days only a day after coming out - which was partly me not taking the consultant's advice to stay in an extra night, partly a bleed into the abdominal wall and partly poor recovery from the anaesthesia. But I do not have one single regret.

What really concerns me is that you are considering this by reference to cost, not to whether or not a procedure, whichever one, is appropriate, the surgeon's track record or the statistically most likely outcome.

If I had decided on price, I might have had the procedure in Eastern Europe or India. As a result, I might have found myself taking a turn for the worse, as I did, but on a flight back to the UK.

The surgery is life changing. Please think about it properly, consult your GP, undertake thorough research, then think about it some more.

One final thought, you ask if you will be able to eat normally again. To achieve the BMI I had seemed like normal eating; it was not, I gained weight by eating more than I needed, we do it for whatever reason, it's there or it's emotional or any number of other reasons. Fundamentally the human body has not adapted to changed circumstances, there is an abundance of food available to most of us, much of the time full of easily absorbed calories. But our bodies are still those of hunter gatherers and tell us to keep eating because we do not know when the next meal is coming; it was normal then but it's not now.

I am well aware that it's not a quick fix. I've had plenty of unrelated health problems, some involving multiple surgeries and no way would I not heed a doctor's advice, that just seems counter productive on every level. I don't want a quick fix either, I'm after something that will help me out as I try to develop permanent good habits.

I'm not actually going by cost - anything more invasive than a gastric band would be unsuitable for me but I specifically looked at THG because they seemed so much cheaper than some other places. Having looked into it further, they include 2 years aftercare and 6 months surgical, which seems on par with other places? A major plus for me with THG is that it is incredibly close to me, so it would make sense.
I am well aware of foreign cheaper options, but I wouldn't consider anywhere that wasn't accessible for aftercare, that's just common sense to me, I think because I've had other health issues and know it's needed.
I have been for a consultation at THG, and spoken with a couple of other providers. I am at the bottom of the scale on which they'd operate, and definitely nothing more than a band, but a balloon was also discussed with one.

Regarding the 'normal' eating, I was meaning more will I be able to sit in a restaurant at some point and order normal food - I know it will be different and that is what I want. Under no circumstances would I consider how I eat currently 'normal'. I'm told that people are very good at being sneaky in restaurants if they don't want people to know - that people notice what you order and not what you eat.
I'm just concerned about not drawing attention to myself with weird eating habits 2 years down the line.

Back