• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please Help. Need some advice!!!

TheDodge79

I am due to have a Gastric Bypass on July 20th by Mr Schroeder at Sunderland Royal Hospital. I have been for my Pre- Operative Assessment today to be told I have gained 4lbs!! The pre-op nurse wasn't one of the Bariatric nurses and can't tell me for definite until Monday if my op will go ahead. All other aspects of my assessment were great (ECG, BP etc). I'm being told that its up to Mr Schroeder to decide if they proceed or not. The only thing I can think of for the gain is personal problems if you know what I mean ladies...

I am absolutely devastated, I have worked so hard to get where I am and I am terrified its falling apart around me. Has anyone had any similar experiences and what happened? I have never met Mr Schroeder so I don't know what he is like.

Oh no can't you ask his secretary? Are you on a pre op diet?

Mr Schroeder is very blunt and his attitude is that you failing to keep to the weight loss targets pre-op is the equivalent of him turning up to operate on you with a hangover (his exact words!).
Have you been sticking to the pre-op liver shrink diet and met all of your other weight loss targets?

I met all my targets given to me from initial seminar to my pre op. Mr Balapuri said I was a perfect patient. I was given a Liver reducing diet by the hospital and I have been sticking to it even though I have found it exceedingly hard. I find it hard to bear that a woman's personal issues can potentially stop me getting my op!

I think they'll take that into account, especially if you've met all of the other targets. Ring Kim Common at the hospital, she's the bariatric nurse and gives excellent advice.

I think if you've met previous targets you'll be fine. 4 pounds can be water retention and wearing different clothes!! I had a balloon at first at Sunderland to try and shift some weight which it did initially, but between that coming out and my sleeve op I put the weight back on. I thought they wouldn't operate but they did ( thank god) my surgeon was Mr Mahawar. I don't know what Mr Schroeder is like. Fingers crossed it'll be fine x

I am due to have a Gastric Bypass on July 20th by Mr Schroeder at Sunderland Royal Hospital. I have been for my Pre- Operative Assessment today to be told I have gained 4lbs!! The pre-op nurse wasn't one of the Bariatric nurses and can't tell me for definite until Monday if my op will go ahead. All other aspects of my assessment were great (ECG, BP etc). I'm being told that its up to Mr Schroeder to decide if they proceed or not. The only thing I can think of for the gain is personal problems if you know what I mean ladies...

I am absolutely devastated, I have worked so hard to get where Iam terrified its falling apart around me. Has anyone had any similar experiences and what happened? I have never met otMr Schroeder so I don't know what he is like.

Wish I had an answer for you hun. It's going to a long weekend for you and I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. Are they phoning you on Monday or have you got an appointment to get reweighed? Hopefully it's the later so that you can work hard on getting some, if not all, of it off over the weekend. X

How did your appointment go dodge??

Well good news over the weekend lost 5llbs and a further 3 up to now so that gain must have been water retention caused by mother nature. Another question though if I may, for people who have had the Gastric Bypass... how long long were you in hospital and how long were you off work afterwards?

I am going in on Friday, my op is Saturday and I am hoping to be out by Tuesday at the latest and I have planned for 2 weeks post surgical leave from work. Does that sound about right?

Thanks

I am THRILLED for you x

My situation is a bit of an exception. I was admitted at lunchtime on the Friday and my op went so well (under two hours, no complications & no other health issues) that they let me go home (well, to a friends) on the Saturday afternoon.

I wasn't working at the time so can't help.

Hmmmmm, in fact I haven't been much help at all. Sorry.

BUT really really pleased for you xx

I am THRILLED for you x

My situation is a bit of an exception. I was admitted at lunchtime on the Friday and my op went so well (under two hours, no complications & no other health issues) that they let me go home (well, to a friends) on the Saturday afternoon.

I wasn't working at the time so can't help.

Hmmmmm, in fact I haven't been much help at all. Sorry.

BUT really really pleased for you xx

Thats a great help really!! Thats a very short spell in hospital. I think with having the OP on a Saturday im guaranteed to be in there til Monday.

Well done you! How exciting!!

I had open surgery on the Wednesday home Saturday then had 8 weeks off work. I felt well enough to be back after 4 but they agreed to pay me for 8 so thought why not.

Well good news over the weekend lost 5llbs and a further 3 up to now so that gain must have been water retention caused by mother nature. Another question though if I may, for people who have had the Gastric Bypass... how long long were you in hospital and how long were you off work afterwards?

I am going in on Friday, my op is Saturday and I am hoping to be out by Tuesday at the latest and I have planned for 2 weeks post surgical leave from work. Does that sound about right?

Thanks

Hiya,
Woo hoo well done on the loss & good luck for your op!!! :)

I was in for 2 days post op (op was Thursday, was discharged on Saturday even though they had said it would be Monday)
I then had 4 weeks off work which was agreed pre-op with occupational health - was glad of this as I ended up with gallstones 9 days post op!
It will be up to you how long you have off, we all react differently so your body will tell you if you're ready or not :) be prepared to be pretty tired for the 1st couple of weeks out & as its abdominal surgery you have to be careful driving too.
Hope this helps xx

Thanks guy's. I hope to be out Monday-make a better recovery at home I think. But will see what happens. Very nervous but very excited at the same time-strange feeling.

Fantastic!! Not to long to go now either whoo hoo :)

Can't answer your questions though as I'm also waiting to get on that bench. Good luck hun :)

Mr Schroeder done my bypass. Very straight to the point with very little bedside manner. Really can't help with the 4lb gain. They might just let it ride to admission and discuss it then if you haven't shifted it by then.

I had sleeve at SRH 29th june on a Saturday, I had no pain at all after , no pain killers but they still would'nt let me home on the Monday, because you have one day of just water and then on the Monday they give you a little food to make sure you can keep it down , so they would'nt let me home until they made sure I could eat. Hope this helps and good luck for your op.

lindy62

Back