• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help

BeaBea

Hi all ... things have been happening and I don't quite understand.

To fill you in on the details, after my GP initially referred me for a gastric bypass in October 2008, and after I went through all the sleep apnea testing etc. I saw the Consultant at Derby on 7th July and straight afterwards the Dietician. The Consultant said the Dietician would see me in 2 months and he would see me shortly afterwards. As it turned out I only saw the Dietician and that was on 24th November. They had asked me to make diet and lifestyle changes which I did to the best of my ability and I must admit, I did lose about 8lbs.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I received a copy of a letter which had been sent to the PCT by my Consultant, it roughly says 'that I had been reviewed by the Dietician and had made significant changes to my diet and lifestyle to enable me to become a suitable candidate for gastric bypass. He then said he was requesting funding approval for this and confirmed that I met NICE guidelines CG43.

Well today when I got home there was a copy letter from the PCT sent to the Consultant, and in it they wrote, 'I note from your letter that you have asked the patient to make some changes to her lifestyle and to her diet and that she will be followed up in three months time by the Dietician. The decision to agree funding is pending and we would ask that you confirm in writing that the patient has made significant changes to her lifestyle and diet prior to funding being approved.

The way I read it, it looked like the Consultant had already confirmed in his original letter that I had made these changes, so is there something that I am missing here?

Oh and another thing we have had Xmas since then and I'm sure I put that 8lbs back on!! ... Flip what if he asks to see me .... help ....

I read it the same as you that you had already done what they had said, however they do seem to want you to jump through hoops so maybe they want this to continue for a further 3 months.
I would speak to your GP and see what he thinks.
Helen
x

I read it the same as you. The annoying thing is they could just be stalling. Sadly it can be an emotional process getting the funding you need. I waited 13 months for mine with lots of letters backwards and forwards. Good luck ring you gp on Monday and see what they say.

I'd do the above but just to cover you're back see can you get on a strict diet and get the 8lbs back off again? At least then you can say you maintained over a very difficult period (xmas)...

Hi Beth sorry you're having trouble, there is the possibility that your PCT have misunderstood what has been conveyed to them and that all that needs to be done is have this brought to there attention.

Back