• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Poor progress after 1st fill :-(

bikerlady

I had my band op on 7th April, followed by my first fill on 12th May,I was pleased with my progress of losin 20lb, but since then things have gone pear shaped :(
I feel as hungry as much as I did before op and I feel like I can eat much more than I should be able to. I contacted provider and they booked me in for 2cnd fill on the 18th June, but I feel so dissapointed that Ive been able to eat so much over the last few weeks, it feels like the op has failed or I have failed :( I was feeling so good about it in the first few weeks. Has anyone else felt like this? thanks all x

Hi Biker,

Im uite the opposite after my 1st fill - thinking of a defill!
Noticed a big difference, teeny weeny portions and most 'healthy' foods are getting stuck.
If you are still hungry and portion sizes getting bigger, definately go for another fill.
How much you got in your band now?

Try and stay positive biker lady. until you've had adequate fills (sometimes can take 2 or 3 fills) to give you restriction you will be on willpower. try and only eat off a tea plate and stick to healthy foods. once you get good restriction then you and your band will be working together. my mum was banded 24th may and she is waiting for her 1st fill on 7th june she is the same as you thinking it hasn't worked and is suprised by the quantity she can eat. i am telling her the same stick it out use all your willpower it will happen xx

Hi Tam, thanks for your comments, I thought i would be like you and only be able to eat off a tea plate, when I was on liquids it was fine, although i did start getting hungry 3 or 4 wks after op. I am trying to eat smaller amounts, Ive always eaten quite healthily, portion size has always been my problem (i dont graze) so the fact that I can still eat larger amounts is really bothering me, I was hoping that I would feel full off tiny amounts like you are now. I hope your ok though. I hope the next fill (on Saturday) will do the trick, the weight loss seems to have stopped, I may even have put weight on. Fingers crossed things start moving again soon. Good luck with your adjustments, I hope it gets right soon hun xx

Hi Joanne, thanks for your positive comments, when you get to the point of having surgery you feel like its your last chance. I really hope your right and I get the right adjustment soon. I have tried eating smaller amounts and Ive always eaten healthily, portion size is the problem, always has been, I hoped the op would take the ability to over eat away from me, I dont feel any different though :-( I will explain how im feeling when i go for my fill on saturday, wish me luck :) xx

Good luck with your second fill Bikerlady, as Joanne says it can take a few adjustments to get some good restriction but I think you will be suprised that you cant infact still eat big portions. Pre op we tend to be a bit in denial about just how much we can eat :mad:

I was one of the lucky ones and the band on its own cut down my portions SO much that I lost a lot straight away and my fills just helped along the way.

Try not to worry, you are doing the right thing getting straight back onto to your team. Its a bumpy ride sometimes but we get there eventually! x x

biker...SNAP! same position as u. felt good in early few weeks and now im sturggling. can eat as much as i used to before...had my fill a week ago and made zilch difference. just rang them to say i need another fill...looks like ill have to wait a month as they are too busy, ridiculous! i defo do NOT recommend Healthier Weight to anyone

I hope you can get an appointment sooner MB, waiting a month is not on is it? x

thanks mazza. going on 5th july now as mum and dad will do school run.....one after that was 15th july.

Thanks both, I hate to say this but it is a relief that I'm not the only one like this! I thought it was something else I've tried to lose weight with and yet another failure :-( when I rang provider THG, they told me they can't do another fill so soon after having one has it can cause problems! No idea what but obviously I took their advice. I am pinning so much hope on the next fill, I think I will cry if it doesn't make a difference :-( anyway, I'm not going to worry about it today, it's my hatching day so I'm off out to celebrate or commiserate haha. I will worry until it's sorted though! Good luck both with your progress I hope your 2cnd fill is a success! I'll let you know how I feel after mine ;-) thanks again everyone, your comments really are a boost. Xx

weird, HW said i can come back in 2 weeks and was kinda hinting id need to....but when i try to book it its a month cos of their stupid times! well im going on the 5th. gotta do willpower...but i totally get u...feels like...ok i lost 2 stones and it seems like thats it im gnna put it all back on another failure.

im hoping both u and me can look back in a few months and laugh at our innoccence!

Silly question but have you tried eating really slowly. Who did your op? I know Mr Sigurdsson bands really high so you have to follow the 8 golden rules which include waiting a minute between each mouthful. I know if I put this into practice I get full quickly. I was banded with 4ml in then had an extra 1ml last week. I have another fill pencilled in for mid next month after a dietician appointment I don't know if I will have much.

Hi Chopster, I must admit, I really have to think about how much I put in my mouth and how quickly I eat it, thats always been my problem. I am trying though :-( My band was fitted with no fluid and I had 3ml at my first fill, for the first 2 days it seemed great then I just felt as I did before the op, as though I could just eat a huge amount, which I am trying my best not to do, but as I expected to eat tiny amounts, being able to eat a full size sandwhich quite easily feels too much, and I still dont get the full feeling! Only 2 more days to go until my 2cnd fill so I really hope it does the trick :)

Hi Neen, I had heard that about losing fluid over time, but I didnt expect to have so little restriction now! I guess I was just expecting miracles!! :) That'l teach me! fingers crossed the next fill will be a good one and I get good restriction :)

Hi Bikerlady

What post op diet advice were you given? what Im trying to get at is if you eat good band food you may feel fuller. I was told right from the start - no bread! rice and pasta can cause problems too.

I seem to be syaing the same thing over and over at the minute so sorry if you think im repeating myself but carbs should always be the last thing you eat in a meal x

Hi again, I followed the diet as I was instructed for first few weeks it was liquids, followed by 3 weeks mushy food then told I could eat more or less eat anything, but to have minced meat, chicken and fish. Ive had pasta, rice and bread in small quantities, I havent had any problem with them. the dietician seemed happy enough with the type of foods I eat! Have I got it wrong? Could eating those foods cause me long term probs? worry worry worry :-(
Thanks for birthday wishes hun x

Hi - Im sorry to worry you and of course you MUST go with what your team has advised ;)

You might not have problems with them at the moment and your post op advice might differ completly to mine but I was advised to avoid bread, rice and pasta. Rice and pasta were the foods I ate the most of pre op. As far as I'm aware all banders are told protein first, then veg, then if you can / need to carbs - a sandwich or a meal with rice and pasta in (as they tend to accompany a dish heavy in sauce) dont really fit in with this.

You may find that in a few fills time you cant tolerate these foods anymore, finding that out the hard way wont be nice though - ouch!

The other problem with these type of carbs, especially if they are higher GI (ie white bread, rice or pasta) is the more you eat of them the more you want as they break down rapidly during digestion and release glucose rapidly into the bloodstream.

Again Im not trying to worry you just offering you some advice that has worked for me :D x

Thanks Mazza, I will try my hardest to follow your advice, you have done brilliantly so i obviously works. Its great that people like your good self are on this site to offer support and help, it really is a boost :) x

Back