• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

porridge

jaynel

hi all - I am 4 weeks post op and now onto normal foods. This morning, I had a crunchy cereal with yoghurt rather than my normal porridge. BUT I felt quite hungry about an hour after I had eaten, whereas the porridge has always filled me up. so my question is, shall I continue with my porridge as it is more filling for me (or is porridge considered a slider food, and to be kept away from). Am a little confused.com!!!! ps I have nothing in my band whatsoever at the moment x

I'd say both are sliders but if the porridge is working for you then stick with it! Crunchy cereal with milk is probably less of a slider than with yoghurt. Good Luck!

i rarely do cereal any more cos of carbs, plus I hate porridge lol. But I would have muesli with very little skimmed milk for dryness and crunch (also keeps me fuller for longer) or Special K with a bit of yoghurt. As it is I can't eat anything but yoghurt pre 1pm so that's all I tend to have.

If you're working with your providers guidelines, it's finding what foods work with and for you and your band, I know porridge is on the list of suggestions from my own provider. It's trial and error :)

I agree if it works for you and is in your providers guidelines ... Do it. Personally I do eat carbs, and sometimes porridge ... But porridge doesn't leave me satisfied for long as I like it runny. Whereas granola and yoghurt sticks and fills me up. What fun :rolleyes:

ohhh am really confused now. thg haven't really given much guidelines and I don't speak to dietician until 1st july. any chance you can give me some examples for breakfast, lunch and dinners. I am willing to give anything a chance x

dont wait for the 1st July, make contact with your provider and ask them for his info as it really does vary between provider :)

Last edited:
Mr super, like you, did my op. but as tk said, providers vary. As I mentioned previously I don't low cab and my provider doesn't advocate cutting out any food groups either. Typical breakfasts for me used to be

Ryvitas/crackers and hard boiled egg/low fat cheese/peanut butter
Yoghurt and fruit/granola
1-2 rashers of bacon/egg/tomato
Milky coffee and banana

All of which are pretty filling. I now eat the odd slice of toast or crumpet with a protein based topping as they really fill me up ... But I was scared to eat them in the early days in case they stuck, or led me off on the slippery slope as they were my pre-band downfall. No longer though :D

Pick up the phone to your provider ... It seems strange they isn't give you some guidance either verbally or in a booklet already...

my provider said porridge was a slider so not to have but I couldn't tolerate cereals or bread so it was my brekkie of choice . make it thick measure your portion carefully and don't use the sachets they slide wayyyy to easily

Back