• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Excercise

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Still on my one woman mission to get more going in this sub forum I've been thinking about this area of exercise for a long time. Personally exercise and M have rarely gone in the same sentence before. However while getting myself ready for WLS I bought a book by Dr Garth Davies who has a TV programme on sky and is a bariatric surgeon from Texas. In it he empahsised that his patients should undertake 30 minutes of excercise a day and plan it into their day until it becomes a habit.

I took the info in and filed it away but at the start was unsure what the heck to do. I hated the gym the one and only time I joined one and knew that I would not be able to go every day. So started to consider what to do at home. Excercise DVDs just make me self concious and so ruled that out. Then the oppotunity for a treadmill came up so rather late I started with that and its been fine. I'm doing at least 30 mins and despite the fact that I try to persuade myself to fortget it and it won't matter I so far have managed to drag my reluctant self onto it and its never as bad as I thought. I really hope this will be a habit that I continue and help fulfil the second part of the mantra for successful weight loss Move more Eat less.

Enough of me........the purpose of this thread is hopefully to start a discussion around what excercise peeps do, how much when did you start, your views on if it is even needed etc etc. Men especially seem to view this as more of a key part to their wls journey what do they and the ladies think?

M

prior to my bypass i used to go swimming do an aquafit class plus and aerobics class and also use my vibro gym at home and the wii fit.
I still try and incorporate all this into my daily life but the thing i do more of these days is walking. I have just bought myself some walking boots as i am really enjoying being outside in the open air.

As soon as I could, post op, I started walking. Not much, but further than I had walked for years!

Now, 6 months and a bit on, I am getting out more and more.

I had a little setback this week, I had gained 3lbs. No idea how because I've been angelic when it comes to my eating as normal. Maybe because I've been working lots and not exercising. No idea why, but it motivated me.

I have been cycling when possible, 2 or 3 times a week, on a flat circuit at my fiancé's in Hull. 5 miles distance. Well this week I stepped it up, did the 5 miles Wednesday but Thursday I went a different route which involved a very long gradual incline! It tested my reserve but I did it. 8 miles I did.

This afternoon I am also picking up a cross trainer that I have managed to snaffle for a bargain £40! So that will do me at my home in Sheffield when I am working. I can come home and do an hour or so each day on that!!

I walk everywhere now too! I counted 78 steps the other day to the Tesco at the end of my fiancé's road! I am ashamed to say I have got in the car and driven there before!!

Now, it's bodyarmour tops under my sports gear! No stopping me!

I aim to do the coast to coast either this year or next on the bike. Raise money for charity and show my appreciation that way!

When I was newly post op I swam 4 - 5 times a week. I gradually increased this to going to the gym, and then swimming. In the gym I used the treadmill, cross trainer, bike and rowing machine..... I progressed then to light weights using the weight machines and then finally onto free weights....

Once I had a good level of fitness I moved on to gym classes such BoxFit and Spinning. Both are fantastic cardio work outs and both are great for building muscle....

I am now training for the Great North Run 2010 which is a half marathon. I am now able to run 4 miles in 40 minutes and I plan to build this up to the 13 miles in 2 hours 20 minutes by the run date which is September 18th.

Exercise isnt just about a weight loss aid post op, it changes your whole mental attitude to life. You will eat healthier when you have exercised that day because you wont want to undo the good effects you have gained in your work out. It also makes you feel amazing as you will have such a sense of pride for being able to do so much more than before....

Most days I do sit ups as soon as I wake up and press ups before going to bed......

Even if its 3 sit ups and 5 press ups you do, your going to be doing some good, you will gradually be able to build this up and I am now at 50 sit ups and 40 press ups in one go, i try and repeat this twice or three times if I have time....

Squats are another excellent exercise. They build all over muslce and work alot of muscle groups, they feel totally unatural at first but once your used to them, they will be a great help to your weight loss....

Happy exercising :) x

At the moment i'm swimming 3 times a week, and walking the dogs every day;)The swimming has helped with a better weight loss in the past 2 weeks, as i've lost 4lbs both weeks:D:D

For the past 18months i haved moved to the coast so for me the benefits from this have been massive as there are many beautiful walks for me to do, the summer months were great after my bypass as i'd walk, cycle and swim in the sea most days but now i must admit that since the end of october this has dwindled down to me just strolling along the sea front with my dog! But last week we got a cross trainer and set it up in the garage so i now have no excuse (not even the weather) not to get off my butt!!!

The key to successfully maintaining an exercise program post op is to do something you enjoy, people join gyms at great expense and find they hate it or its boring, i took up walking which has led into fell walking and then climbing which i get an emense kick out of these days.
I do use the gym where i work as its dirt cheap and well equiped, and i do make the effort to do 45 minutes cardio work ever day, and i enjoy the feeling it gives me after, i also more importantly know that if i work out daily i'm burning some excess calories and in doing so if i do eat a naughty treat its not going to have hurt me.

Long term the key to success is exercise coupled with a healthy balanced diet.

I have a personal trainer. Its a luxury that I treat myself to with the money i'm saving on food.
Its great because it makes me accountable to somebody, when I dont feel like going to the gym it makes me think 'oh crap what will she say'. I live in fear of the personal trainer haha
I can run quite well now, but after half an hour I am a sweaty mess. I do kettlebells and boxing alongside the more cardio things like cross trainer and the rower.
I ache quite a lot the day after but I see it as a badge of honor and a little reminder of the goal I have in mind.

In a few months I want to do a 5K jog and build from there!

Happy exercising folks!

I have just been swimming this morning :innocent0002: and tomorrow after work I will go to a spinning class, thats all I have planned for this week because I dont know if I will be working away or not.

If I do work away 90% of the hotels I stay in have a gym, also my OH got me a portable DVD player for xmas so I take a couple of workout DVD's with me.

I love exercise and the feeling I get from it, pre op with my weight gain and pain not under control sometimes I struggled but Im back on track now.

Hello my name is Phatgirl and I loathe exercise. I always have and still do, I can't seem to find anything I like that is classed as exercise. I have tried it all. I love to swim but as soon as it is for exercise I find every excuse (money, time, chlorine in my hair, it is cold outside...) not to do it. So, I have exercise DVDs that I use 2x per week, I have an elliptical trainer in my spare room that I use 2x per week. Hubby & I do yoga 1x per week, I think I have convinced him to try pilates so we may start that. I also walk alot because I don't have a car, I take the stairs as often as possible. I even use the get off a couple stops early on the bus trick to get in that extra bit of walking.

I am active and do get exercise but I am lazy at heart and struggle to stick to any kind of routine. I do find some enjoyment from my new stamina, especially when I can walk faster into town then if I had waited for the bus. But I won't lie, I never actually like the exercise, it is a constant battle.

Nic;)

Hello my name is Phatgirl and I loathe exercise. I always have and still do, I can't seem to find anything I like that is classed as exercise. I have tried it all. I love to swim but as soon as it is for exercise I find every excuse (money, time, chlorine in my hair, it is cold outside...) not to do it. So, I have exercise DVDs that I use 2x per week, I have an elliptical trainer in my spare room that I use 2x per week. Hubby & I do yoga 1x per week, I think I have convinced him to try pilates so we may start that. I also walk alot because I don't have a car, I take the stairs as often as possible. I even use the get off a couple stops early on the bus trick to get in that extra bit of walking.

I am active and do get exercise but I am lazy at heart and struggle to stick to any kind of routine. I do find some enjoyment from my new stamina, especially when I can walk faster into town then if I had waited for the bus. But I won't lie, I never actually like the exercise, it is a constant battle.

Nic;)
Nic I hate the chlorine thing, but we have to wear swimming hats at our gym, so we all look like plonkers togehter:D:DI avoid the cold by showering then dryin off in the sauna after, but I sometimes am reluctant to go in this weather:eek::eek:
I will keep going though cos I always feel soo much better after;)

Nic;)

Ooh at last a weakness lol ;)

Actually i'm the same, i'm inherantly lazy by nature and will find any excuse to get out of doing anything i dont want to do, work at home in fact anywhere...... its probably why i got fat in the first place.

I use the gym where i work as its cheap, well set up and if i use it during work time i'm actually getting paid to be in the gym, which kind of makes me smile as i consider my boss is paying me to get fit ;)

Pilates is great and i'm on the verge of considering a pilates class as i have had a taster session and like the way it made me feel, though do be aware that to burn calories you will need to include a high impact cardio vascular work out as well, pilates will strenghten your core inner muscles, and correct your posture, but wont burn fat.

Shame i dont live closer Nic, as i could take you out for a good work out :D

Put Nic down SS, workout indeed!!

I'm with you Nic, hate excercise and every day have a long chat with myself to get on that treadmill. Its a constant struggle but trying to stay with it to get fit(ish).

M

I hate this weather! When the sun is shinning it makes it soooooo much more enjoyable doing excercise! I cant wait for the weather to cheer up abit so i can start going on bicycle trails along the coast, swimming in the sea and enjoying long walks with my dog. Treating myself to a kayak for the summer, it'll be the first time i've been able to fit in one!!!!

I am just getting back into mine after a long Christmas break (far too long) and I use the treadmill at home, stepper and kettlebell. I have the Biggest Loser game on the wii and various workout dvds.
I am trying to do about an hour a day to get back in gradually and once I can sustain that then I hope to increase.
Wish I had the guts and opportunity to get to the gym, maybe later this year I will as my sister and one of my brothers (all fit and slim) go.

I've been swimmin yesterday, today and am going tomoz while I have the motivation:D;)

Well I've managed to do 9.4 miles on the mountain bike the other day as well as walking 3-4 miles daily.

The Cross Trainer is great. I thought I'd get up the other day and do an hour, I never have used one before. After 3 minutes I was out of breath!!! but managed to push myself to 10 minutes. For this time of year and when I am working, it's great to have!

Yay... Im finally 6 months post op so can start posting on all the 6 month threads.

I too hate exercise. I have always used every single trick in the book to avoid exercise and when I was pre-op my knees used to groan just at the thought of it.

I am currently training for the race for life and am currently up to just over 2.5 miles, although I cant run all of it yet and have to walk frequently to catch my breath and then start running again.

Also I have become more active generally and able to do things with the kids such as ice skating and swimming which I would have always avoided before.

My weight loss has almost ground to a halt now so I know I am going to have to seriously up my exercise now in an effort to get things moving again.

Welcome to the 6 monthers Sam :D

I'm constantly upping the exercise to keep the weight going off. It's the only way for quick success.

20 miles I do on the bike now and looking to extend that this week!

I actually feel bad when I don't exercise now, I would have slapped someone if, last year, they had said I'd be feeling this way. I love the bike now.

Good week for me exercise wise as I havent been travelling.

Swimming yesterday was fantastic, I went after I dropped my daughter off at school (working at home). I was the only one in the pool - bliss! 50 lengths in 30 mins. 45 minute dog walk in the early evening.

Today I did an urban rebounding class, its ok but my ankle hurts. Another dog walk after parents evening.

Tomorrow an hour on the treadmill in the evening.

Friday body balance - ahhhh, love a good old stretch!

Saturday just dog walking and running Tara around everywhere.

Sunday 1 hour spinning (managed to pursuade Jim to come Friday and Sunday too).

Back