• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op help

pandora

finding my way again !
I have been reading a lot on here & something that worries me is that a lot of you mentioning how tired you were & how thankful you are to your other half for their help & support. See I don't have one , just 2 lazy teens who do bu**er all to help me .

How I can relate to your thread. I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old dog who is always hyper lol, they have no one but me I'm hoping to stay at my mams for a week for a bit help. But after that I'm on my own. Would also like to no how other people in similar circumstance's coped, very good question :) x

Hi Honey, there are some on here who have gone it alone & done fine. If your kids are teenagers, depending on how old they are, they will have to cope for themselves for a few days whilst you get a bit of rest after you come home. Can you stay with anyone at all? You will be sore & lifting, bending etc is a challenge & driving is a no no for a while. Can you explain to your kids that you WILL need their help for a week or so ... I'm guessing they will be more helpful than now as you are able to do everything for them at the moment. If you put a lot of preparation in before you go in hospital with your essential housework, meal freezing etc, everything else will wait. Hope you manage to sort some help out but if not don't let it put you off your dream. I have leant on my family because they want to help, but am sure that if not, I could have managed & so will you. Good Luck, sweetie xxx :):)

Hey if im up and about i will come over and give you a hand :hug99:

Thanks girls . Once I am further along I will do cooking & freezing for their meals & as you say get the house tip top . As you say they will have to do or do without lol .
Dawn , hunni , that would be lovely & the offer extends back to you too , we must have that coffee soon

I'm single so I stayed at my mum's for two weeks but I had an extra op whilst under. They repaired an umbilical hernia which I didn't know about until months later. I had a lot more pain in my lower belly because of this so bending was impossible. I also slept propped up on pillows on the sofa for two weeks.

When you say teenagers, are they male? You might need a female friend to help with personal hygiene. I couldn't even wipe my bum, luckily I bought a dish mop and wrapped it in wet wipes and loo roll to wipe myself until I was in less pain. You never know what issues will effect you until they happen. Any help will only make things easier for you.

You really won't feel like doing anything in the week after your op, and just walking around will give you some pain. So you won't be able to do the washing up or make a cup of tea etc without difficulty.

Is there a neighbour who could pop in? Or perhaps it would be a good idea to hire a cleaning firm to come in a few times in the first month post op. Use the supermarket delivery option too. I was on my own and managed ok but did no housework for about 3 weeks.

Might be a good plan to sit those teens down and explain to them that they will need to pull their weight. Even make a rota out and perhaps offer them a reward if they stick to it.

they are girls , 15 & 12 , i think the eldest will be helpful but the youngest doesn't do logic , so has to be told everything , even to turn lights out after her :rolleyes:
as it is my sis cleans for me on an as & when basis , so she'll be happy to do that ....i havn't told her i am hoping to have the op yet :eek:
i'm sure i'll get through it , somehow lol

You'll be fine hun. Just ensure you are on top of the housework and have got some shopping in before you go into hospital and explain to the girls that they will need to look after themselves for a few days.

We're all different. I was able to get up and make myself a cuppa as soon as I was home. I tried to get up for a little walk around the house every hour or so in the first week, and that helped me. Within probably a couple of weeks I was doing most of the light housework again. Hubby was out at work all day but at least I did have him here to cook the kids dinner etc.

As Sambucca says with a little forward planning you will be fine. Easy to reheat meals from the freezer for the girls to sort themselves with & soups either tinned or frozen, yoghurts etc for you. I was lucky my husband was at the end of a weeks leave as I came home, my middle son had finished college for the term so was around to babysit me. He would get me my lunch or a drink although I made a point of getting up & doing something simple every few hours. He would take me out for a walk every day incase I felt I'll whole out I was determined to get put & about ASAP as after my hysterectomy 5 yrs earlier I had suffered feeling faint if I stood for anytime or did anything much as I indulged in the resting to much. This time as we were off on holiday within 5wks I was determined not to do that again rest is sensible but overindulging isn't.
I'm sure despite normal trends both of your daughters will muck in & pull their weight just don't expect it to last it didn't with my youngest. Lol

Don't panic...I came home to an empty house and managed fine...my teenage girls were at school and so being alone in the day made me take slow steps to get what I needed...it's not that bad!!! As for them well if they wanted food it was upto them to make it or starve! :D

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back