• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op questions for bypassers

lolly_lou

Hi I'm Hoping to get a bypass soon and I understand the diet afterwards but I relation to the vitamins and b12 injections is this done through the go? Do you contact the go before going for surgery to book for stitches to be removed? What's the process post op? Thanks xx

Hi I'm Hoping to get a bypass soon and I understand the diet afterwards but I relation to the vitamins and b12 injections is this done through the go? Do you contact the go before going for surgery to book for stitches to be removed? What's the process post op? Thanks xx

You should be sent home from hospital with at least 2 weeks worth of meds. A discharge letter will be sent to your GP, informing them of what you'll need post op. you will also get a copy. You'll have to visit the GP for a repeat prescription, before they run out.

Some surgeons use stitches others use glue. Your practice nurse will be able to take your stitches out for you. B12 varies from team to team, but it should say on your discharge letter when you need your first one. Again your practice nurse will do this for you.

What processes do you mean post op? Hope this helps :)

It says nothing about B12 shots on my letter I just mentioned it to the Gp. I think you should let your GP know you are having surgery abroad so he/she knows to prepare for your after care needs. The only thing I get from the GP is my prescription and the hospital does all the rest. I didn't have stitches but my practice nurses wouldn't even check the wound,the hospital had too.

When it came to repeat prescriptions the GP wouldn't even prescribe one of the meds on my discharge letter just said I didn't need it. So its not always straight forward after

Be warned some GP's will not prescribe your vitamins, mine being one of them. He gives me my B12 injection every 3 months, but the others (Forceval, Calici Chew etc.) he refused. I have to buy them off the internet !!!!!

Hi

One thing to note is that other than multivitamins you should only need to take another supplement if your blood tests show any deficiency. Mine have been fine so only take the multivitamin. There is no point having B12 injections if you are getting enough from your diet. The same with calcium unless you are at risc from osteoporosis and you bloods show a deficiency there is no need to take more.

Remember taking too many minerals and vitamins can be just as dangerous as not taking enough.

Paul

The advice I have had is quite different around the B12 and the calcium, women in particular are vulnerable to calcium deficiency and when you realise that its too late, its all tied up with hormones, leading to bone problems.

The B12 also causes a crisis if you don't keep it topped up, and on here you'll find plenty of folk who have not had the jabs and have then found themselves having to have loading doses of injections every day for a couple of weeks.

Personally I am glad that I am on both of them prevention better that a cure in my opinion!!!

The advice I have had is quite different around the B12 and the calcium, women in particular are vulnerable to calcium deficiency and when you realise that its too late, its all tied up with hormones, leading to bone problems.

The B12 also causes a crisis if you don't keep it topped up, and on here you'll find plenty of folk who have not had the jabs and have then found themselves having to have loading doses of injections every day for a couple of weeks.

Personally I am glad that I am on both of them prevention better that a cure in my opinion!!!

I agree. Prevention usually costs less than cure too :)

I take a sub lingual B12, the absorption is much better, and i am trying to find a calcium citrate with D3 that doesnt make me constipated. :rolleyes: Plus my forceval of course :)

I take a sub lingual B12, the absorption is much better, and i am trying to find a calcium citrate with D3 that doesnt make me constipated. :rolleyes: Plus my forceval of course :)

Have you though of taking the calcium citrate and D3 seperatley? There isn't really any research to say that the absorption of b12 sublingually, is any better than any other route of ingestion.

Back