• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Surgery Depression

ryanrara

RyanRARA
Hi all, me again. I am 1 day shy of being 14 weeks post op. My weight loss has been awesome and I have now lost 7 stone. I should be jumping up for joy. But I am just so down :-(. Dont get me wrong I dont regret my surgery and am so happy for this new lease on life. It's just for the past week I have been so down. I have been for a while now, but just seems to be getting worse. I dont want to do anything or see anyone. But that said if I do force myself to meet a commitment I feel better after. I spent the first three days of this week just lying in bed. Sometimes sleeping and other times just lying there. I have no oomf. I am on anti depressants and gonna see my doc if he will up them or change them. I havent really done much exercising. Was supposed to start Zumba class last night, I pulled out last minute. I did wake up at 6 this morning and have burnt 201 calories on my Wii Fit. I feel better for it. But if it wasnt for the fact that I have to go to work, I would just jump straight back in to bed.
I am planning to up my exercise, I need to if nothing else for toning up.
I have eating issues but will be seein the hospital soon, I am getting my protein and nutrients all the same.
A close friend of mine said I could be feeling similar to a new mother who has anti-natal depression. Ie post depression from the trauma of the op.
I dont know. I just dont. I do know I have to buck myself up and get back to the bubbly me?
I hope food wasnt my muse at being happy and now that, for now, its gone, that I am not me any more. Then who am I? Who is the new me?
Sorry to put a damper and be so morbid but am oping maybe some of you post oppers understand?
Did/ do any of you feel this way post op?

Im just under 6 weeks post op... and i have to say i did suffer quite a bit of depression after the op..and still now find it very easy to burst into tears. it didnt help i had an unknown bladder inecion for 3 weeks.. and still dont have the all clear.. and ive had 5 different types of antibiotic.
You say you are already on anti depressant tablets, how long have you been on them, as some can take about 6 weeks to work.
Give your doctor a call and ask if you can have a blood test, as you may be lacking in something which is getting you down xx
Good luck hun xx

I am only just over three weeks post op but I spent two wishing I could change what I had done. I still feel odd not depressed just unsure of myself. I have had problems eating which got me down.
I do think some depression after is normal as we have turned ourselfs up side down. Well done on losing 7stone that is amazing. I hope your doctor can help hun and you get back to feeling like yourself soon x

witchingmoon you just described how im feeling sometimes but i couldnt put into words... just unsure of myself. It is a lot to take in isnt it xx

ryanrara said:
Hi all, me again. I am 1 day shy of being 14 weeks post op. My weight loss has been awesome and I have now lost 7 stone. I should be jumping up for joy. But I am just so down :-(. Dont get me wrong I dont regret my surgery and am so happy for this new lease on life. It's just for the past week I have been so down. I have been for a while now, but just seems to be getting worse. I dont want to do anything or see anyone. But that said if I do force myself to meet a commitment I feel better after. I spent the first three days of this week just lying in bed. Sometimes sleeping and other times just lying there. I have no oomf. I am on anti depressants and gonna see my doc if he will up them or change them. I havent really done much exercising. Was supposed to start Zumba class last night, I pulled out last minute. I did wake up at 6 this morning and have burnt 201 calories on my Wii Fit. I feel better for it. But if it wasnt for the fact that I have to go to work, I would just jump straight back in to bed.
I am planning to up my exercise, I need to if nothing else for toning up.
I have eating issues but will be seein the hospital soon, I am getting my protein and nutrients all the same.
A close friend of mine said I could be feeling similar to a new mother who has anti-natal depression. Ie post depression from the trauma of the op.
I dont know. I just dont. I do know I have to buck myself up and get back to the bubbly me?
I hope food wasnt my muse at being happy and now that, for now, its gone, that I am not me any more. Then who am I? Who is the new me?
Sorry to put a damper and be so morbid but am oping maybe some of you post oppers understand?
Did/ do any of you feel this way post op?

Your not on your own,I'm 15 months post op,and I'm feeling pretty low at the minute.
My moods are all over the place..x

In a word Yes and still do

Ryan I know you have suffered depression in the past.

Unfortunately the op and weight loss will not stop you getting depressed.

Go back and see your GP you might need to up your dosage or change to another anti-depressant.

We had surgery to lose weight.
Unfortunately it is not a cure all.
If you were depressed/unhappy/lonely/jobless/homeless before the op You will still be the same after the op until you get out there and change things.

Exercise will make you feel better as will being outside and meeting up with friends.
Try not to make excuses as to why you can't do something.
Make yourself go and do it or at least try if you really don't want to be there you can always leave after 1/2 an hour but at least you will have tried
:D

I agree with everything Wendy says, Ryan ... please go to see your GP so you can get it under control & make the most of the fabulous weight loss you have had so far. Hope you feel batter soon, sweetheart xxx :wave_cry:

I agree with everything Wendy says, Ryan ... please go to see your GP so you can get it under control & make the most of the fabulous weight loss you have had so far. Hope you feel batter soon, sweetheart xxx :wave_cry:

There you go with the batter again Twink :rotflmao:

lamornamiss said:
Same here! Being post christmas and the rotten weather does not help:sigh:

Yes the weather definetly doesn't help,
Im just thinking when you have surgery your body and mind gies through so much change it's hard to keep up with things.
I dont think I'm depressed but I have got something wrong regarding moods/irritability ive posted before asking whether it's a vitamin deficiency etc.,..I know one thing I'm getting on my own nerves!

Think I have dyslexic fingers, Wendy ... must read what I write before clicking the submit button .... Wonder if this is psychological, hmmmm. Don't think I am craving batter, but who knows, lol xxxx :D:D

You might be craving batter!
with fish and chips nom nom
:rotflmao:

Hey I was 19 month out before I could eat a chip.:wave_cry: Now I can eat 4 or 5 and that's my limit :D
And I've never liked batter :jelous:, but a nice piece of fish now we're talking!:D
That's what I having for my tea tonight fish and about 5 oven chips

Hi all. Just a quick update. Been a better few days (been getting stuck in to work). I also have an interview on Wednesday and am really excited! Something too look forward too!
Seeing my doc on Tuesday for review of anti-depressants. Will Ask to maybe change as have been on the same ones for over a year. Also gonna ask to possible be referred to a therapist or even a psychiatrist! Will keep you all posted!
Thank you for your support!

it took me a few goes to find the right anti depressant Ryan, you'll be fine, glad to see things looking up for you, and good luck with your interview :) xxx

Hi Ryan,
Often our overeating masks the depth of our depression/anxiety. If you have done any CBT you are told that we use food as a way of calming feelings of anxiety and/or unhappiness.
Its likely that the depression that was there is being made worse by the fact that your usual coping mechanisms just aren't available.

Back