• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Potassium levels

pooh71

Had a slight wobble today when the hospital rang...I thought something was wrong! They said that my potassium levels are very low (from the pre-assessment bloods). So I have to have a potassium rich fruits and veg whilst on the milk diet but I'm not allowed to eat any more than on the list (which ain't alot!). No idea what low potassium means!! :) Hopefully not too bad a thing... Will be having a banana and clementines for lunch then and I'll have to put a handful of spinach in my bowl of soup tonight. The weight is already coming off with this milk diet. God it's hard work though! Roll on the op next week...

Lo salt is just as bad if not worse for you as salt. If you have to use salt, natural sea salt is better. Plus too much salt can affect your blood pressure, which in turn affects your potassium levels.

Have you only had it taken once, or did they suggest taking it again to double check? Blood tests are not always 100% right, especially if someone leaves the specimen lying around in the lab before they get round to testing it. If you have a result that is outside normal limits it's always best to recheck it before taking any drastic action.

Hi there

I can only really help with your quest to increase potassium levels - not really qualified or experienced to comment on the reasons why/how or whats behind it...
But coconut water has got a massive potassium value (like, double + that of 1 banana) so u could try that if you need a quick boost

Hope all is well
Bex xx

Last edited:
Hi, thanks all for your advice. Yes I'm on blood pressure tablets and a diuretic. Have been for about 10 years with no problems. I had my bloods done at the GPs about three weeks ago and nothing came back abnormal. That is why it was a surprise when the hospital rang today about the potassium one I had done on Friday at pre-assessment.
Well I've been told to just up potassium rich foods this week, then I suppose they will check it again when I go in for my op on Monday.
Thanks for the link Paula. I kind of tick all those ones for symptoms!
I had a big handful of watercress and spinach in my soup tonight. I like the idea of the coconut water!! :)
Thanks all...it's nice having people to talk to about things x

Hmmm what i dont understand is way they havent done a perscription through your gp??? it is liquid based potasum it tastes disgusting i had it couple times in hosp but levels were fine after the 2nd dose. hope all ok soon xx

Back