• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Potatoes, bread, pasta, rice etc.....

everpositive

Been wondering about what I will truly be able to eat once I can start on solids again? Can you guys tolerate carbs at all since your ops?

Thanks everyone and hope you are all surviving this freezing weather? xx

Claire are you going in for the bypass (sorry can't remember)? If so, you will be able to eat all of the things listed above if you like. Not at first but once you are on solids all those foods are available to you. I can eat all of those things but I keep it in moderation so I keep losing. Also, I can't eat much un-toasted white bread. My hubby was eating a sandwhich the other day and offered me half, I said okay but was only able to eat a 1/4 of the half he gave before I had an intense feeling of fullness. I did not enjoy that feeling so I will stick to toasted breads from now on if I am dying for a slice!

HTH
Nic:D

hi everpositve just thought id let you know what i can eat after 2 month's post op.ive tried rice wont be having that for awhile as with bread it just feels like it get's stuck half way down and you cant drink to get it moving as it would flush it out of you stomach. so i stick with thing's like jacket potatos mash potato small amounts of pasta and small amount's of noodles hope that help's a little bye for now andy

Hi Claire

yes you can eat that stuff in moderation - and i also have a problem with bread so tend to avoid it, strangely now i dont crave bread anymore and i used to love eating bread and toast !

And not surviving the freeze very well, in fact i seem to always been freezing cold now !

I eat potatoes practically daily. Them and eggs are my staple diet. I also eat rice, and pasta that isn't overcooked. I too can eat bread so long as i eat it very very slowly and chew properly. I've been eating all of these things since pretty early on. Surprisingly, white bread is better than brown for my tummy.

Hi I had my bypass at the end of may. i can manage rice and potatoes but still struggle with pasta and bread although i can manage small amounts of both. it did take me a while to tolerate these things but in time it has got easier. you may find that your tastes change too so i no longer enjoy the things i liked before. it's just a case of trying to see how you get on x

I am not too good with rice and pasta at present, I also cannot eat ordinary bread unless its crusty and only a small piece.....I am a bit too scared to retry the pasta just yet. Had some curry with a spoon of rice and that was ok but think it was only because of the sauce....gravy and sauces help with most things....xx

A friend of a friend who had her op last feb was told she can never eat it again, as my friend was aghast when I said I was to re introduce it...I have followed Richards advice and have two water crackers with some low fat cheese spread or even some ordinary cheese on and I find its much nicer than bread anyway...xx

this thread was interesting for me as i love bread so much...and i have been advised to just stick to potato and pasta and not even try bread or rice for atleast a year post-op. x

Mermaid - You'll find that anything that swells up when wet will do the same in your pouch, thats why rice and bread dont sit well inside, you eat half a slice thinking its ok, it swells and then hurts !

But there's no reason why you cant give it a try and see what happens, the worst is you'll throw it back up again.
I can manage rice ok, but haven't been bothered about eating bread !

I can eat rice, but bread hurts and so does pasta. Im only 6weeks post op, so hoping it might change as im a real bread eater. This was my downfall tho aswell as crisps so itd be good for me if i couldnt eat them. Take care x

i seem to be able to tolorate every in moderation. the one thing i love about wls is that you can have sauces and this does help everything go down. The only thing i havent tried is bacon and sausage and thats because they really dont appeal to me anymore. Im better with toasted brown bread or a bit of french baggette again ordanary bread just doesnt appeal.
I even had a sirloin steak the other night. ok it wasonly 2inches square and i find that if im having meat if i cut it up fine to begin with again im fine.
i was advised to keep carbs down to no more than 30% of yr daily intake to keep weight loss at a maximum.
HTH
hc

Back