• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pouch size

Maria61

advice please. I had bypass on 19 September and understand my pouch size is 30 cc but my friend who had her bypass privately tells me her pouch size is 20 cc. I am struggling with not feeling any restriction since surgery and wondered if anyone else is having issues and if the size of the pouch is relevant

Hmm, I don't really know much about life with a bypass @Maria61. other than what I've read on here but it does sound like it might make some difference? Having said that 30 cc is 30 ml, which ain't a lot! lol

Maybe if you tell us what you're eating we can advise further, for example are you eating plenty of protein, which will keep you fuller for longer? x

My pouch size was 30ccs too, so I think that's fairly standard. 20ccs sounds veeeery small. Could you explain what you mean by "not feeling any restriction"? Do you mean you can eat too much in one sitting? That you can eat too much throughout the day? That you have a hard time telling when you are full?

My pouch size was 30ccs too, so I think that's fairly standard. 20ccs sounds veeeery small. Could you explain what you mean by "not feeling any restriction"? Do you mean you can eat too much in one sitting? That you can eat too much throughout the day? That you have a hard time telling when you are full?
Hi I feel that I can eat what I like as I don’t feel any different to before surgery and don’t feel any restriction. However I have been very careful what I am eating and how much I eat so have not over eaten so far. Maybe I would feel something if I did that but I am afraid of being sick and having dumping syndrome so this is stopping me x

In that case I think it is just your mind playing tricks on you. It can be difficult in the beginning to sense what "full" is, because you are 1. still getting used to the pouch and 2. things are still very swollen at 2 months out. In my case as well, years of overeating had almost worn out my sense of satiety.

Trust me - with a 30cc pouch, if you DID eat too much, you would feel it. You just haven't felt that yet because you have been doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing and sticking to the correct sized meals. So well done.

In terms of dumping, be aware that not all bypass patients dump (I don't, for example).

Since all hospitals are different with their post-op diet guidelines I'm not sure what stage you are at, but if it is similar to mine you should just about have started moving onto solids by now. That will also make a difference to the fullness feeling. Dense proteins like egg fill me up pretty quickly, while I can eat quite a lot of salad and soup for example.

Try not to worry and just keep doing what you are doing!

In that case I think it is just your mind playing tricks on you. It can be difficult in the beginning to sense what "full" is, because you are 1. still getting used to the pouch and 2. things are still very swollen at 2 months out. In my case as well, years of overeating had almost worn out my sense of satiety.

Trust me - with a 30cc pouch, if you DID eat too much, you would feel it. You just haven't felt that yet because you have been doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing and sticking to the correct sized meals. So well done.

In terms of dumping, be aware that not all bypass patients dump (I don't, for example).

Since all hospitals are different with their post-op diet guidelines I'm not sure what stage you are at, but if it is similar to mine you should just about have started moving onto solids by now. That will also make a difference to the fullness feeling. Dense proteins like egg fill me up pretty quickly, while I can eat quite a lot of salad and soup for example.

Try not to worry and just keep doing what you are doing!
Thanks I appreciate your advice xx

Back