• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Adhesions and surgery

chivasgirl

I wondered if anyone has had gastric bypass surgery who has adhesions to previous operation scars? I have a possible adhesion to the scar from my gallbladder removal - it doesn't normally bother me too much but for the last 12-15 years since I had my op, I have had nagging pain under the scar site. I don't know for certain it is adhesions, but as all my gastroscopies, endoscopies, ultrasound scans (too fat to find anything apparently), MRI and CT scans have come back with nothing to explain the pain (although have found my hiatus hernia and an adrenal gland tumour!), there doesn't seem to be anything else to explain it.

Just wondered if the surgeon will have issues with the op because of any adhesions, and whether they would be able to 'repair' the adhesions as well? I am having an open surgery. I am in quite alot of pain with it today, can't straighten up and can't cough, it's just too sore... :jelous: They have checked if there are other stones elsewhere, but not found anything yet.

Ta, Lorna

Last edited:
I wondered if anyone has had gastric bypass surgery who has adhesions to previous operation scars? I have a possible adhesion to the scar from my gallbladder removal - it doesn't normally bother me too much but for the last 12-15 years since I had my op, I have had nagging pain under the scar site. I don't know for certain it is adhesions, but as all my gastroscopies, endoscopies, ultrasound scans (too fat to find anything apparently), MRI and CT scans have come back with nothing to explain the pain (although have found my hiatus hernia and an adrenal gland tumour!), there doesn't seem to be anything else to explain it.

Just wondered if the surgeon will have issues with the op because of any adhesions, and whether they would be able to 'repair' the adhesions as well? I am having an open surgery. I am in quite alot of pain with it today, can't straighten up and can't cough, it's just too sore... :jelous: They have checked if there are other stones elsewhere, but not found anything yet.

Ta, Lorna

Hi Lorna my gastric bypass was a revision of a previous wls 10 years ago and my surgeon used the same scar (open surgery too). I had alot of adhesions and my liver was stuck to my stomache. I also had mutiple wound hernias so my origial scar had to excised. On top of that the surgeon found two grapegruit size hernias that he had to repair. He had to reroute my bowel further down due to the problems he found from my previous surgeries. All in all my gastric bypass took nearly 6 hours, much longer than normal. Having said that, the desired result was achieved and although my surgeon said the adhesions and other issues made it more complicated and made it take longer, it certainly was n't anything to make him sweat. I would n't worry about it, surgeons are experienced with these things.

Alia xxx

Thanks for that Alia. And a good explanation of the things which could be found when you have surgery. Particularly when you've had previous surgery. I guess this must happen quite often really.

Back