• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

diabetes and insulin after the bypass

joffy01582

After losing over 3 stone I had been expecting my blood sugars to normalise a bit but if anything they have risen .............I was on Metformin Pioglitazone and Novorapid/Humilin i insulins which were stopped 6 weeks ago ,anyways the Metformin was reinstated 2 weeks ago (should'nt of stopped taking them) told todayhave to reinstate the Humilin i insulin but at a reduced dosage 14 units at night for the time being.

There was me thinking the Bypass would get rid of the need for insulin.

ps. Been on Insulin of one kind or another for 12 years now.

Oh so sorry Joffy, hun :wave_cry: I was told that if you had been on insulin for over 5 years you were possibly still going to need it at some point post op but like you say, at a lower dosage. It is a case of wait & see though because more weight loss can stabilise it so that meds alone will do it. Hoping this is the way it happens for you, xxx :):)

well..............the discussion that went on at the hospital this afternoon (or so i was told by the diabetes nurse) was that my pancreas is not producing enough insulin at the mo but at this time i don't know how long i'm going to be needing my jabs

I was told the same by the endocrinologist. The longer it is since diagnosis, and the more severe you had it, the less chance you have of it being completely resolved. I think the stats are around 85%. Good luck

well..............the discussion that went on at the hospital this afternoon (or so i was told by the diabetes nurse) was that my pancreas is not producing enough insulin at the mo but at this time i don't know how long i'm going to be needing my jabs

It looks like you are going to have to suck it & see, honey. Hopefully it will not be for long but if so, at least you will not be on the massive doses you were pre weight loss. Expect the worst & hope for the best, that is what I am doing xxx :):)

i'm hoping to go back to work this week but what with blacking out this afternoon and now this ..i do'nt know now

i'm hoping to go back to work this week but what with blacking out this afternoon and now this ..i do'nt know now

Have you been told your black out was diabetes related? If so the Humelin should get you back on track. Monitor your BS regularly. Only you can tell if you are up to work but if not, don't risk it xxx :)

i blacked out standing up too quick ...........it frit the life out the other half who was sitting in her when i nearly fell through her open window

I am so sorry to hear this ... I also am on metformin (2000mg a day), pioglitazone and novomix insulin (200 units a day). I was also told by my consultant that the bypass may well eliminate my diabetes. Having said that this is what his letter said to my GP:

"The amelioration of diabetes is high ranging up to 85-90%. More importantly the sustenance of diabetic free life is close to 90% in twenty years."

To be fair, whatever happens I know that this will help me control it far more than I can right now!!!

Remember, you have lost a lot of weight (well done) very quickly, you are eating much smaller portions now than you have, probably, for quite some time. I guess it will take your body time to adjust. In the meantime (do as I say and not as I do!!!), do as Denise says and make sure you keep checking your BS.

Take care of yourself ... its a long journey we are all on!

xxx

when i'm at work i check my sugars 5-6 times a day but since the op its hard as i'm sipping milkshakes most of the day so the only true measure is the first one of the day and they have been between 11 and 13 since the puree stage but hopefully that should come down once i hit a happy medium with the insulin

when i'm at work i check my sugars 5-6 times a day but since the op its hard as i'm sipping milkshakes most of the day so the only true measure is the first one of the day and they have been between 11 and 13 since the puree stage but hopefully that should come down once i hit a happy medium with the insulin

Know this probably sound stupid but, what is the sugar content of the milkshakes? xxx

my bp is 135/95 this morning ..............i went into work to see the occupational therapy people only to be told i'm not fit for work yet come back in 2 weeks ...................lucky i made the doctors appointment first thing this am

Curious to hear what the doctor says. Just because your BP is ok today doesn't mean it is still not the cause. You would need several BP's doing, at rest, standing & after exertion. Some times when you have lost a lot of weight it takes a while for your BP to catch up. Good Luck with the doctor xxx

the doctor that i usually see is not on duty today so i'm stuck with one that does'nt even look at her patients before doling out the meds ..............sick note only this visit as i'm at the hospital to see the dietitian tomorrow afternoon i might get more joy there ;)

Well done on the weight loss so far hope u get sorted soon ;)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

the doctor that i usually see is not on duty today so i'm stuck with one that does'nt even look at her patients before doling out the meds ..............sick note only this visit as i'm at the hospital to see the dietitian tomorrow afternoon i might get more joy there ;)
thats the one id like to see :D

well she actually did something today ..............checked my bp did my flu jab and made me book a blood test (only because she had a medical student in with her ;))

Back