• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet

Phojay

middle name OPTIMISTIC!!!
ok....this really will be the last post for a bit.....

there seems to be lots of different pre op diets around, I was asked to do a very low cal diet for 7 days, to be honest I've done low cal, but prob not to an extreme....when others are talking about doing the milk and yoghurt diet etc I'm starting to think I've messed up and my liver wont have shrunk?

Did everyone thats had a bypass do a pre op diet and were they all successfull?

as long as you havent eaten fatty foods you should be ok.

no, not eaten fatty foods but had some bread and fair bit of milk in tea...mostly been eating salad with tuna but do have light salad cream on it, had stir fry tonite with no oil so just chicken and veg in soya sauce and spices, few mullers here and there, load of fruitr and veg, fairly low cal but by now means extreme.

didnt they give you a pre op diet sheet with the allow foods on it ?

hmmm.....they did yes but admittedly I skimmed through it and just saw the words low cal, not VERY low cal and a few suggestions on what to eat. No lists of what not to eat i.e diet coke, chewing gum etc like some have had. (tell a lie, it does say no sugary fizzy drinks, so not sure if that means no to diet coke as well, I have had pepsi max)

ok heres a great example originally posted by shelbell on another thread.

Breads, cereals, and potatoes - 3 portions per day
3 tbsp breakfast cereal
1 weetabix
3 tbsp dry porridge oats or 1 sachet instant porridge
1 slice bread (pref wholemeal)
1/2 bread roll, bagel
1/2 tortilla wrap, 1/2 chapatti, or 1/2 pitta bread
2 rice cakes
2 tbsp cooked pasta, cooked rice or cous-cous
1 boiled or jacket potato (egg size)
2 tbsp mashed potato
3 crisp breads or crackers
Milk and dairy food - 2 portions per day

300ml skimmed milk
200ml semi skimmed milk
1 diet yoghurt or fromage frais
Fruit and vegetables
1 peice of fruit
Vegetables/salad - include with lunch and evening meal
Meat, fish and alternatives - 2 portions per day
50g lean beef, pork, lamb, chicken or oily fish
2 grilled sausages
75g white fish or 3 fish fingers (grilled)
1 small Quorn fillet
2 eggs (poached, boiled or scrambled)
2 lean rashers bacon (grilled)
1/2 bowl (medium) lentil or bean soup
3 heaped tbsp reduced fat houmous
3 tbsp baked beans or cooked kidney beans, butter beans, chick peas
25g hard cheese
50g low fat soft cheese
Up to 100g low fat cottage cheese
In addition
15g low fat margarine or 2 tsp low fat mayo
Plus atleast 4 pints fluids.
This is for 10 days, followed by 4 days clear fluids, which consists of -
Black tea or coffee
Sugar free pops and squashes.
Clear apple juice - 3 small glasses across day
Sugar free ice lollies
Sugar free jellies
(normally would be allowed clear sieved soups and oxo/bovril etc)
All way through need multivitamin supplement daily.

ok....this really will be the last post for a bit.....

there seems to be lots of different pre op diets around, I was asked to do a very low cal diet for 7 days, to be honest I've done low cal, but prob not to an extreme....when others are talking about doing the milk and yoghurt diet etc I'm starting to think I've messed up and my liver wont have shrunk?

Did everyone thats had a bypass do a pre op diet and were they all successfull?

Hi Zorica,
I did do a preop diet but didnt stick to it rigidly. I think Liz is right keep to low fat stuff its the fat content more than anything.
After my op I said to my surgeon "well had my liver shrunk?" and he said "I dont know I didnt see it preop"

hello... i just had my bypass... and i stuck to below 1000 cals a day and tried to have as little carbs as possible.

my liver was top notch according to the proff... :)

.x.

It must vary from area to area, I was told the pre-op diet was a milk based diet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

pink theres an option of 2, depends on the surgeons preference.

pink theres an option of 2, depends on the surgeons preference.

Thanks,

Only the milk one was mentioned to me by the bariatric nurse. I'll have to find and alternative (soya) to milk as it doesn't agree with me. I think I'll stick to that one when my time comes for op, too much temptation.

1000 calories is so little, I'm beginning to really stuggle. I'm breaking it down into groupsaof 200 which is
one slimfast shake/smoothie, or
one tin or mackerel or
a portion of sushi
I'm gonna have to look up what a banana is.....
I picked up a chocy bar the yesterday it'd got marsh mallows in it called rocky road thought maybe it wouldn't be too much, nearly 1000 cals in one bar OMG how is that even possible. God's teeth I'm hungry and tonight is take away night........... Better come up with a plan soon, but I'm having troulbe thiking straight!
Good luck with yours PJ xxx

Hi iinkli, I did the milk and youghurt for 10 days just before my planned op on the 1st of this month and I lost 16 lb in total. But because it was cancelled for that day and re booked for this coming monday I had 3 days of eating normal healthy foods and then tried the milk and yog again. I found it really hard so decided to do 1000 cals and I've only been having between 500?750. I've been eating ryvita (32 cals each slice) with either tuna or boiled egg or thin ham with light cream cheese. I've found these really filling and not wanting anything else apart from my drinks. It was good to be able to chew crunchie food lol.

I did the food pre op diet over xmas and xmas day went out the window but I did loose weight and I did have my op

I go to a forum in Salford and one of the guys had his op on 5 January. he only found out on 31 Dec so no time to do any pre-op diet. I think it must differ wherever you go. I heard another person say they had to do lipotrim for 2 weeks and the thought of that again makes me want to heave!!!

Back