• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Diet - Can you just have 2/3 slimfast shakes?

sarah-91

Im starting my pre op diet on the 6th December for 2 weeks, received my low carb diet to following consisting of

Breakfast - 1-2 eggs or slimfast shake

Dinner - clear soup or oxo soip

Tea - 100g grilled chicken or fish fillet

+ 5 portions of fruit and veg.

My ongoing problem with food is not stopping, i am fine when all food is taken away eg cambridge diet, lighterlife.

So I was thinking could i just have 2 slimfast shakes and the Tea option or 3 slimfasts a day?? I know i should ring my dietician i will do this tomorrow however just wanted my fellow wls family thoughts views and opinions.

Muchos gracias!! x x

Sounds like milk diet would suit you better. I did 3pt milk and 2 yogurts a day. I'm same in that it takes thought/temptation away. I had to ask my provider for a copy of it from my surgeon..he uses it but they dont..odd!!

I find milk revolting apart from in tea or coffee though arrghh :( x

Oh...that won't help you then...I lived on coffee made with milk :) was like latte heaven :)

haha thank you anyways hunny x

There is an option on my hospitals pre op diet sheet to do just slimfast (4 I think) or with a soup. Something along those lines :) FuturePerfect would bbe able to tell you better than me. I am not with my booklet at the moment :)

I was allowed 2 slim fast and a meal of meat and veg, or 4 slim fast. HTHs. I would still double check this, and don't tell them you don't trust yourself with food! Thats what the psych evaluation is about, and the losing weight before hand.

Heartlands 5 pre-op diet options

DIET #1 Portioned Controlled Food
Composed of different food groups to give a balanced very low calorie diet.
Daily allowance:-
1 x starchy food
2 x fruit
5 x vegetables
3 x meat / alternatives
2 x milk
1 x fat (optional)

A comprehensive list of portion sizes are listed,
Examples of starchy – 1 crumpet / 1 slice bread/toast / 2 crispbreads /3 small crackers / ½ pitta / 1 small chapatti / 3 tbsp dry porridge oats / 2 egg-sized potatoes / 2 heaped tbsp. cooked rice / pasta / 2 rich tea biscuits / 1 digestive biscuit / 1 small corn on cob / 3 tbsp breakfast cereal

Examples of fruit – 1 med apple / orange/pear/½ banana / 2 apricots or plums / 5oz strawberries, raspberries or blackberries / 3 tbsp tinned or stewed fruit /100mls fruit juice / 1 heaped tbsp. dried fruit / handful of grapes

Examples of vegetables – 3 heaped tbsp cooked veg / 1 side salad / 7 cherry tomatoes / glass tomato juice

Examples of Meat/alt – 100g very lean cooked beef, pork, lamb, mince, chicken, turkey, liver, kidney, pilchards, salmon etc / 150g cooked white fish/tuna/ tofu/quorn /2 eggs (max 6 per week)/4 tbsp cooked peas,lentils,beans

Examples of Milk – 200mls semi skimmed milk/ 1 small pot diet yogurt/fromage frais/100g cottage cheese/60g low fat soft cheese / 25g hard cheese (eg cheddar,stilton)

Examples of Fat – 1 tsp butter/marge/oil/mayonnaise / 2tsp low fat spread/mayo / 7g nuts (ie 8 hazelnuts or 4 walnuts) / 1 heaped tsp seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame)

DIET #2 MEAL REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
Eg Slimfast / Boots Shapers / Tesco Ultraslim

EITHER: - 3 – 4 meal replacement milk shakes, smoothies, soups or bars per day
OR:- 2 meal replacements PLUS Light meal of 300calories of 2 meat + 1 starchy + 2-3 vegetables from Diet #1.

DIET #3 800-1000 CALORIE DIET
Compose your own diet, including fruit and vegetables and as much variety as you can. Keep the starchy carbohydrates and fat to an absolute minimum.

DIET #4 VERY LOW CALORIE DIETS (VCLDs)
Between 450 and 800 calorie \complete menu plans
eg Cambridge diets, LighterLife, Optifast

DIET #5 MILK and YOGURT
1pt Semi-skimmed milk PLUS
8 – 10 125g pots of diet yogurt (around 60kcals per pot) eg Shape, WW, own brands healthy eating

General rules for all diets:-
· Spread food and drink out throughout the day, don’t save it all for the evening.
· Drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid every day, at regular intervals. No sugar. Avoid alcohol.
· Take a multi-vitamin & mineral tablet daily (chewable / crushable)
· Keep mobile, busy, active.

· Diet plan to be followed up to 6 weeks before operation.

So your answer, Sarah, if you were being treated at Heartlands, is that diet#2 would be perfect for you. And, if it's good enough for Heartlands, it should be good enough anywhere.

I hope this helps. (and thanks for the vote of confidence Fuffs!)

FuturePerfect said:
DIET #1 Portioned Controlled Food
Composed of different food groups to give a balanced very low calorie diet.
Daily allowance:-
1 x starchy food
2 x fruit
5 x vegetables
3 x meat / alternatives
2 x milk
1 x fat (optional)

A comprehensive list of portion sizes are listed,
Examples of starchy – 1 crumpet / 1 slice bread/toast / 2 crispbreads /3 small crackers / ½ pitta / 1 small chapatti / 3 tbsp dry porridge oats / 2 egg-sized potatoes / 2 heaped tbsp. cooked rice / pasta / 2 rich tea biscuits / 1 digestive biscuit / 1 small corn on cob / 3 tbsp breakfast cereal

Examples of fruit – 1 med apple / orange/pear/½ banana / 2 apricots or plums / 5oz strawberries, raspberries or blackberries / 3 tbsp tinned or stewed fruit /100mls fruit juice / 1 heaped tbsp. dried fruit / handful of grapes

Examples of vegetables – 3 heaped tbsp cooked veg / 1 side salad / 7 cherry tomatoes / glass tomato juice

Examples of Meat/alt – 100g very lean cooked beef, pork, lamb, mince, chicken, turkey, liver, kidney, pilchards, salmon etc / 150g cooked white fish/tuna/ tofu/quorn /2 eggs (max 6 per week)/4 tbsp cooked peas,lentils,beans

Examples of Milk – 200mls semi skimmed milk/ 1 small pot diet yogurt/fromage frais/100g cottage cheese/60g low fat soft cheese / 25g hard cheese (eg cheddar,stilton)

Examples of Fat – 1 tsp butter/marge/oil/mayonnaise / 2tsp low fat spread/mayo / 7g nuts (ie 8 hazelnuts or 4 walnuts) / 1 heaped tsp seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame)

DIET #2 MEAL REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
Eg Slimfast / Boots Shapers / Tesco Ultraslim

EITHER: - 3 – 4 meal replacement milk shakes, smoothies, soups or bars per day
OR:- 2 meal replacements PLUS Light meal of 300calories of 2 meat + 1 starchy + 2-3 vegetables from Diet #1.

DIET #3 800-1000 CALORIE DIET
Compose your own diet, including fruit and vegetables and as much variety as you can. Keep the starchy carbohydrates and fat to an absolute minimum.

DIET #4 VERY LOW CALORIE DIETS (VCLDs)
Between 450 and 800 calorie \complete menu plans
eg Cambridge diets, LighterLife, Optifast

DIET #5 MILK and YOGURT
1pt Semi-skimmed milk PLUS
8 – 10 125g pots of diet yogurt (around 60kcals per pot) eg Shape, WW, own brands healthy eating

General rules for all diets:-
· Spread food and drink out throughout the day, don’t save it all for the evening.
· Drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid every day, at regular intervals. No sugar. Avoid alcohol.
· Take a multi-vitamin & mineral tablet daily (chewable / crushable)
· Keep mobile, busy, active.

· Diet plan to be followed up to 6 weeks before operation.

So your answer, Sarah, if you were being treated at Heartlands, is that diet#2 would be perfect for you. And, if it's good enough for Heartlands, it should be good enough anywhere.

I hope this helps. (and thanks for the vote of confidence Fuffs!)

I knew it!! :D

Thanks Cathi :) Thought it was in there. You are a fountain of Heartlands knowledge :) xxx

Thank you everyone!!! x x

Back