• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Diet - Can you just have 2/3 slimfast shakes?

sarah-91

Im starting my pre op diet on the 6th December for 2 weeks, received my low carb diet to following consisting of

Breakfast - 1-2 eggs or slimfast shake

Dinner - clear soup or oxo soip

Tea - 100g grilled chicken or fish fillet

+ 5 portions of fruit and veg.

My ongoing problem with food is not stopping, i am fine when all food is taken away eg cambridge diet, lighterlife.

So I was thinking could i just have 2 slimfast shakes and the Tea option or 3 slimfasts a day?? I know i should ring my dietician i will do this tomorrow however just wanted my fellow wls family thoughts views and opinions.

Muchos gracias!! x x

JO28172

Sounds like milk diet would suit you better. I did 3pt milk and 2 yogurts a day. I'm same in that it takes thought/temptation away. I had to ask my provider for a copy of it from my surgeon..he uses it but they dont..odd!!

sarah-91

I find milk revolting apart from in tea or coffee though arrghh :( x

JO28172

Oh...that won't help you then...I lived on coffee made with milk :) was like latte heaven :)

sarah-91

haha thank you anyways hunny x

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
There is an option on my hospitals pre op diet sheet to do just slimfast (4 I think) or with a soup. Something along those lines :) FuturePerfect would bbe able to tell you better than me. I am not with my booklet at the moment :)

mariew

I was allowed 2 slim fast and a meal of meat and veg, or 4 slim fast. HTHs. I would still double check this, and don't tell them you don't trust yourself with food! Thats what the psych evaluation is about, and the losing weight before hand.

FuturePerfect

Finally in love with life
Heartlands 5 pre-op diet options

DIET #1 Portioned Controlled Food
Composed of different food groups to give a balanced very low calorie diet.
Daily allowance:-
1 x starchy food
2 x fruit
5 x vegetables
3 x meat / alternatives
2 x milk
1 x fat (optional)

A comprehensive list of portion sizes are listed,
Examples of starchy – 1 crumpet / 1 slice bread/toast / 2 crispbreads /3 small crackers / ½ pitta / 1 small chapatti / 3 tbsp dry porridge oats / 2 egg-sized potatoes / 2 heaped tbsp. cooked rice / pasta / 2 rich tea biscuits / 1 digestive biscuit / 1 small corn on cob / 3 tbsp breakfast cereal

Examples of fruit – 1 med apple / orange/pear/½ banana / 2 apricots or plums / 5oz strawberries, raspberries or blackberries / 3 tbsp tinned or stewed fruit /100mls fruit juice / 1 heaped tbsp. dried fruit / handful of grapes

Examples of vegetables – 3 heaped tbsp cooked veg / 1 side salad / 7 cherry tomatoes / glass tomato juice

Examples of Meat/alt – 100g very lean cooked beef, pork, lamb, mince, chicken, turkey, liver, kidney, pilchards, salmon etc / 150g cooked white fish/tuna/ tofu/quorn /2 eggs (max 6 per week)/4 tbsp cooked peas,lentils,beans

Examples of Milk – 200mls semi skimmed milk/ 1 small pot diet yogurt/fromage frais/100g cottage cheese/60g low fat soft cheese / 25g hard cheese (eg cheddar,stilton)

Examples of Fat – 1 tsp butter/marge/oil/mayonnaise / 2tsp low fat spread/mayo / 7g nuts (ie 8 hazelnuts or 4 walnuts) / 1 heaped tsp seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame)

DIET #2 MEAL REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
Eg Slimfast / Boots Shapers / Tesco Ultraslim

EITHER: - 3 – 4 meal replacement milk shakes, smoothies, soups or bars per day
OR:- 2 meal replacements PLUS Light meal of 300calories of 2 meat + 1 starchy + 2-3 vegetables from Diet #1.

DIET #3 800-1000 CALORIE DIET
Compose your own diet, including fruit and vegetables and as much variety as you can. Keep the starchy carbohydrates and fat to an absolute minimum.

DIET #4 VERY LOW CALORIE DIETS (VCLDs)
Between 450 and 800 calorie \complete menu plans
eg Cambridge diets, LighterLife, Optifast

DIET #5 MILK and YOGURT
1pt Semi-skimmed milk PLUS
8 – 10 125g pots of diet yogurt (around 60kcals per pot) eg Shape, WW, own brands healthy eating

General rules for all diets:-
· Spread food and drink out throughout the day, don’t save it all for the evening.
· Drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid every day, at regular intervals. No sugar. Avoid alcohol.
· Take a multi-vitamin & mineral tablet daily (chewable / crushable)
· Keep mobile, busy, active.

· Diet plan to be followed up to 6 weeks before operation.

So your answer, Sarah, if you were being treated at Heartlands, is that diet#2 would be perfect for you. And, if it's good enough for Heartlands, it should be good enough anywhere.

I hope this helps. (and thanks for the vote of confidence Fuffs!)

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
FuturePerfect said:
DIET #1 Portioned Controlled Food
Composed of different food groups to give a balanced very low calorie diet.
Daily allowance:-
1 x starchy food
2 x fruit
5 x vegetables
3 x meat / alternatives
2 x milk
1 x fat (optional)

A comprehensive list of portion sizes are listed,
Examples of starchy – 1 crumpet / 1 slice bread/toast / 2 crispbreads /3 small crackers / ½ pitta / 1 small chapatti / 3 tbsp dry porridge oats / 2 egg-sized potatoes / 2 heaped tbsp. cooked rice / pasta / 2 rich tea biscuits / 1 digestive biscuit / 1 small corn on cob / 3 tbsp breakfast cereal

Examples of fruit – 1 med apple / orange/pear/½ banana / 2 apricots or plums / 5oz strawberries, raspberries or blackberries / 3 tbsp tinned or stewed fruit /100mls fruit juice / 1 heaped tbsp. dried fruit / handful of grapes

Examples of vegetables – 3 heaped tbsp cooked veg / 1 side salad / 7 cherry tomatoes / glass tomato juice

Examples of Meat/alt – 100g very lean cooked beef, pork, lamb, mince, chicken, turkey, liver, kidney, pilchards, salmon etc / 150g cooked white fish/tuna/ tofu/quorn /2 eggs (max 6 per week)/4 tbsp cooked peas,lentils,beans

Examples of Milk – 200mls semi skimmed milk/ 1 small pot diet yogurt/fromage frais/100g cottage cheese/60g low fat soft cheese / 25g hard cheese (eg cheddar,stilton)

Examples of Fat – 1 tsp butter/marge/oil/mayonnaise / 2tsp low fat spread/mayo / 7g nuts (ie 8 hazelnuts or 4 walnuts) / 1 heaped tsp seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame)

DIET #2 MEAL REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
Eg Slimfast / Boots Shapers / Tesco Ultraslim

EITHER: - 3 – 4 meal replacement milk shakes, smoothies, soups or bars per day
OR:- 2 meal replacements PLUS Light meal of 300calories of 2 meat + 1 starchy + 2-3 vegetables from Diet #1.

DIET #3 800-1000 CALORIE DIET
Compose your own diet, including fruit and vegetables and as much variety as you can. Keep the starchy carbohydrates and fat to an absolute minimum.

DIET #4 VERY LOW CALORIE DIETS (VCLDs)
Between 450 and 800 calorie \complete menu plans
eg Cambridge diets, LighterLife, Optifast

DIET #5 MILK and YOGURT
1pt Semi-skimmed milk PLUS
8 – 10 125g pots of diet yogurt (around 60kcals per pot) eg Shape, WW, own brands healthy eating

General rules for all diets:-
· Spread food and drink out throughout the day, don’t save it all for the evening.
· Drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid every day, at regular intervals. No sugar. Avoid alcohol.
· Take a multi-vitamin & mineral tablet daily (chewable / crushable)
· Keep mobile, busy, active.

· Diet plan to be followed up to 6 weeks before operation.

So your answer, Sarah, if you were being treated at Heartlands, is that diet#2 would be perfect for you. And, if it's good enough for Heartlands, it should be good enough anywhere.

I hope this helps. (and thanks for the vote of confidence Fuffs!)

I knew it!! :D

Thanks Cathi :) Thought it was in there. You are a fountain of Heartlands knowledge :) xxx

sarah-91

Thank you everyone!!! x x