• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op diet

It's not so much about weightloss, the pre-op diet is too shrink the fat in your liver, so it is safe for the surgeons to operate.

When you liver is large and fatty it bleeds more if knocked, so surgeons prefer you to shrink it before this kind of operation.

There is no set abount, some people lose a lot others only lose a few pounds, its all about using the fat reserves up around your liver.

Mine said he's expecting me to lose a stone on 2 weeks, but I am bigger than you:eek::eek:

It's not so much about weightloss, the pre-op diet is too shrink the fat in your liver, so it is safe for the surgeons to operate.

When you liver is large and fatty it bleeds more if knocked, so surgeons prefer you to shrink it before this kind of operation.

Hi Vicky

Caz is kind of right, the reason your asked to do the liver shrinking diet is to reduce the size of it, the liver hold a lot of fluid and reducing calorie intake makes it shrink by half, then when the surgeon operates they can leaver it out of the way.

Hi i am waiting to start my pre opp diet but have been told that i will be on it for 2 week. Good luck, cant wait till im in your shoes lol x

Mine said he's expecting me to lose a stone on 2 weeks, but I am bigger than you:eek::eek:
It's doable Candie. In my experience of very low calorie diets that have a similar effect on the liver as a LSD, the bigger you are the more you tend to lose on this kind of diet in the early stages.

I'm actually shrinking my liver and the rest of me on a vlcd. Surgeon was fine with that.

its hard but try and stick to it best you can as they can tell by the state of the liver if u been following the diet when they operate.

There looks to be a lot of different pre-wls diets. Seems every surgeon has his own. I've seen ones that allow some normal foods like toast, while others insist on just milk. BLECH!
My surgeon prescribes the milk diet, but because I can't tolerate large amounts of cows milk has given me a soup and yogurt option. I'm hungry on it, but only 5 days to go. I think as long as it's low fat and below 1000 calories a day, it probably doesn't matter much.

Back