• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op Sheffield Northern General

Retfordmag

Seeing consultant Wednesday - what to expect?

Hi everyone

Got my appointment with consultant at the NGH in Sheffield on Wednesday.

Apart from discussing eating habits and options available is there anything else I should expect?

When I saw mine he asked me to individually list every and I mean every diet and exercise thing I've ever tried! Get thinking haha I was so on the spot I was terrified that if I got it wrong he would turn me away lol Xxx

Well, that would be easy for me.

Reductil , Xenical , slimming world even many years ago having to eat some weird form of fibre in pellets to try and make me full before meals. Weight has yoyo'd for years , used to go to gym before i did my knee in

I've tried every diet possible lol so it took a while to list then there was tablets (prescribed and not) then hypnothearapy etc etc etc lol xxx

Just wish the operation day was here , want to get it over and done with and become a loser

I know hun me too, hopefully not too long for us, I'm seeing my consultant a week on wed for the second time then al be on the waiting list but it still could be months away Xx

yes I'm afraid its a waiting game some hospitals are quicker than others but i can remember filling in aquestionnaire about alsorts of things like how i felt about buying clothes eating infront of people did i snack on crap that kind of thing do you nodd off to sleep when reading etc. do you snore what they do is look at your answers and see if they think you are psychologically ready for the op ahead then you will talk to someone about what kind of food you eat in a typical day why you feel you need to lose weight from what i filled in they decided i needed a sleep test to see if i had sleep apnoea it took ages to get to that test they did it at my local hospital though much closer for me, i ended up having a c pap machine which helps you breathe properley while a sleep. After my op after i lost bout nutha 3 stone i had my sleep test redone and i sent my machine back the weight loss had sorted me out which was brill so bare with them thats just over 2 years ago at Sunderland Royal so yours might be different but there were a lot of questions to answer then the consultant came in and together they decided which op i should have they reccommended the ghastric bypass to me so thats what i had but took bout 2 yrs to get to that point i am now 7 months post op from the start i have lost about 8 stone 5 since my op date in August last year so just go with it be worth it in the end x

Chrisa

Iwas originally with Sunderland nearly two years ago but moved to North Notts so took about six months waiting on my paperwork being sent to my new docs before I could be referred down here. Thankfully was referred October, saw group session January and see Consultant Wednesday.

Seen consultant today

Hi everyone

Update for you. Seen Mr Ackroyd's colleague today, a Dr Barkley I think she was called.

Went through questionnaire re eating habits etc and they agreed the best option for me would be the bypass (i'm a sweet eater).

Had bloods done and now got to just wait on pre-op assesment.

Been told will be two to three months from now when I have the op, most likely in the Thornbury(sp?) in Sheffield.

All scary but exciting stuff

excellent you'll be joining us other bypasses then xx try not to worry about some of the problems there are a lot more people who don't have problems but it does happen sometimes xx

Think it is more the other half worrying about complications etc. I keep saying there are risks with all surgery, I had op two years ago which took about three hours and I was fine after that so can't see why not after this

They did say could even could have been May, but i'm fully booked then as in Cornwall/ North east til 10th then from 16th to 24th Spain

More tablets

Got my pre-op assesment in the morning at Sheffield Northern General to look forward to, more questions to ask etc. This I am looking forward to as the op becoming even more real.

One thing I didn't expect today was a call from docs to say that further to recent blood tests , I can only assume this would be from the shed load of blood taken when I saw the consultant, they had spotted some changes in my blood.

From now on I need to take calcium tablets twice a day (don't you have to take these anyway post op?) and have in 4 months time further blood tests for parathyroid and bone chemistry.

Great, just what I need more tablets to take :rolleyes:. Was hoping to come off them (anti depressants and mebeverine) not take more

Good luck with your assessment, I've just been referred to Mr Ackroyd and would love to know a bit more about the time scale etc in this area and also what I should expect regarding funding approval etc.
I really didn't know anything at all about WLS until my GP offered to refer me, since then I've devoured every bit of info I can get my hands on!
I, like yourself take too many tablets , but hopefully I'll eventually be able to come off them all.
Em xxx

Ask for Calcichew they are smaller and nice to take than Adcal which are big chalky things.Calcichew melt in your mouth like a sweet!

Not too sure what ones I've got. They're just a generic tablet in a brown bottle not a branded one.

Will give update when I get out of assessment.

Hi everyone

Had my pre-op assessment today at Sheffield NGH.

The pre-op checks were what I expected (bloods, mrsa swabs,weight height, bp, ecg and lung test) but some odd things came out of it.

Apparently I have a lung age of 73 :eek: , never been a smoker but for years was a passive smoker.

Didn't expect to be told would have a central line in after the op - thought a canula or two would be sufficient.

No booze for a year post op - didn't know this but to be honest booze doesn't bother me as i can't cope with the hangovers lol.

Mr Ackroyd won't operate on anyone unless their teeth are ok so looks like a trip to the dentist (petrified of them) as think may need some fillings and a tooth out :cry:

Was told by one of consultant's underlings at previous meeting that op would probably be at The Thornbury private hospital but now been told will more than likely be at the NGH.

Was told all patients need to get there for 7am on morning of the op. My problem with this is I live 30 miles away and Sheffield is nearest bariatric hospital, Public transport - assuming it is on time the earliest I can get into Sheffield is 750, then cab or whatever to whichever hospital they decide to put me in. Asked about coming in a night earlier, told would be doubtful and to look for a hotel or to ask again once I have date.

God knows what I am going to do with regards to this as I am not working and only get carers allowance and income support. has anyone else been in a similar predicament?

Back