• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre opp 4/1/18 Spire southampton

Carolineh

Hi all,
I am new to this group and I wondered if anyone could let me know how the surgeon decides on what weight loss surgery to give you?
I’ve got my pre opp in 2 days and really nervous about what he will say.
Many thanks
Caroline

Which surgery he/she recommends will depend on a number of factors: your start weight/how much you need to loose, any comorbidities you have, and most importantly: your eating habits. Someone with bad acid reflux would for example usually be advised against a sleeve since that will increase the intra-abdominal pressure and make those problems worse; someone with a severe sweet tooth might benefit more from a gastric bypass since that surgery tends to result in dumping syndrome and so forth (just a note though that not all bypass patients dump - I don't, for example).

Most surgeons will also ask you what YOU would prefer. My advice is always to ensure you read up on all the different types of surgeries carefully so you fully understand what they mean and can make an informed decision, but to always listen to what your surgeon suggests as well. They work with this full time, have seen thousands of patients and know what they are talking about, so unless you have a very good reason not to, go with what they suggest. It is a normal gut reaction to always want the least invasive surgery but you have to be realistic and think about what you actually need and what would work best in your particular circumstances. You don't want to end up having to convert over to something else and subject yourself to another surgery a couple of years down the line.

Hi all,
I am new to this group and I wondered if anyone could let me know how the surgeon decides on what weight loss surgery to give you?
I’ve got my pre opp in 2 days and really nervous about what he will say.
Many thanks
Caroline

Hi and welcome!
My surgeon made a recommendation but the decision ultimately was mine. I listened to all the information and researched myself and went with the sleeve, which I was comfortable with and my surgeon was happy with my decision! :)

Best of luck x

Back