• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Pay Prescription card

mandym1

Is it worth me getting a pre pay prescription card? I dont know how much medication the hospital will give me to take home or if I need to pay for them on a prescription.

you dont normally pay for TTA's (tablets taken away) from hospital. if you have to pay you can ask the pharmacy to provide you with a form, you can then claim back costs if you get a pre payment card.
although i was only sent away with paracetamol and diclofenac. and obviously the paracetamol is dirt cheap and can be purchased without a prescription anyway.
god that sounds really rambled, hope it makes sense xx

The only long term meds you get are Calcichew and Forceval,If you are already on other stuff it might be worth a pre payment otherwise work out what its going to cost.I get 90 forceval and 100 calcichew at a time so that would be £14.60 every 3 months (Is it £7.30 per item now?I no longer pay)

I have one too as I take a lot of meds. For post bypass though I take -

Calcichew
Forceval
Ferrous fumerate SF syrup
B12 every 3 months.

Most GPs will only prescribe 1 months worth at a time (Maz you're lucky!) so if you have to pay for your scripts then 2 per month or more makes a yearly pre-payment good value. My b12 is issued in packs of 5 which are then kept at the gp surgery, so that is only ever year and a bit, but the other 3 are monthly and very common post op.

The hospital has a legal obligation to give you (or make sure you have) 7 days of prescription medication upon discharge, but a lot of hospitals don't bother to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

All I've been given to take long-term are the err.....lanzaprole or something? To take 30 mins before first food of the day. Nothing else and nothing mentioned. It's kind of confused me actually!

Oh yes I forgot the lanzaprazole!

I came home with a carrier bag full of meds! 3 months of Lanprazole (fastab), 10 days of clexane injections, 4 bottles of peppermint water, a huge box of soluble paracetamol, a bottle of Dalivit drops and one packet of Adcal, plus 3 lots of extra dressings and treatment packs!

Unfirtunately my doctor only gives 28 days medication at a time, even if it's something you're on long term (so unfortunately for those of us that have to work for a living it's gonna cost a fortune!) I already have one regular monthly prescription, and will have to have Adcal too, will work out pre pay prescription costs to see whats the most cost effective!

The current cost is
  • £29.10 for a 3-month
  • £104.00 for a 12-month
Think I will see what they give me as take home medicine first. If i am going to need 4 or more prescriptions in 3 months then a PPC is the way to go x

The only long term meds you get are Calcichew and Forceval,If you are already on other stuff it might be worth a pre payment otherwise work out what its going to cost.I get 90 forceval and 100 calcichew at a time so that would be £14.60 every 3 months (Is it £7.30 per item now?I no longer pay)

Maz, what medication did the Spire give you to take home?

Hi Mandy, I set up my ppc online and pay monthly by dd. It's a god send cos it includes everything, regular meds and anything like antibiotics. For me it is most definitely a money saver over the year.

Cocodomol for pain,blood thinning injections,calcichew,liquid senna,forceval and lanzaprole(sp)Watch out for severe itching with the last one.I really suffered in week 2.Mr magee said I didnt need to take it just watch taking other meds on an empty stomach.Only take the calcium and vitamins now.If needed iron later.

Cocodomol for pain,blood thinning injections,calcichew,liquid senna,forceval and lanzaprole(sp)Watch out for severe itching with the last one.I really suffered in week 2.Mr magee said I didnt need to take it just watch taking other meds on an empty stomach.Only take the calcium and vitamins now.If needed iron later.

Thanks Maz x

i didn't realise that you still had to pay for prescriptions cos they are free in Scotland. I would have thought everywhere was the same!!

Everywhere except England :(

Back