• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

prescription costs after bypass

starry

Hi All,

Is it true that if you are a private bypass patient you have to pay for your medication you need after surgery ??

If so can someone advise me on the costs and if you all have to take the same standard - vits calcium etc etc ??

Thank you

If im not mistaken private scripts are more expensive than NHS or I could be wrong I usually am lol If you can get your scripts of your Dr and you dont get tax credits you can buy a 3 month or 12 month exemption

yeah Teens right, i pay £102 for a years NHS exemption to costs, my vits, b12 ect comes in at about £30 ish every two months and i get these free with the exemption, my GP writes the prescription and and i pick it op every two months.

Hi
How do they work, you pay £102 and all your prescriptions for the year are then free or is it for an exact drug.
I.e. I am on xenical (well wont be for much longer) but I also get other tablets, creams etc and pay £7.10 a go for each of them.
Ta
Helen
x

ye you pay £102 and everything you have on script is free my monthly scripts at the mo are about £22 so over the 12 months I would save quiet a bit £162 and its not just stuff after your op you can get everything

Thats much better isnt it, I will look into it, I have been getting them free upto November last year as my baby boy turned 1 but now well what can I say the odd £7.10 here and there soon mounts up.
xx
Thanks

Hi
How do they work, you pay £102 and all your prescriptions for the year are then free or is it for an exact drug.
I.e. I am on xenical (well wont be for much longer) but I also get other tablets, creams etc and pay £7.10 a go for each of them.
Ta
Helen
x

i got my prescription and took it to the chemist, they said it would cost £28 if i have to pay :eek: but suggested i take up this exemption thing (cant remember the name of it) which i did, and when the card came through they paid me back my money lol :D over a year it works out that your quids in !

Thanks chickens x

A pre-payment certificate can be bought for either 3 or 12 months and once purchased an NHS prescription in that 3/12 month period is effectively paid for. A pre-payment is ONLY worth it if you would be prescribed 2 or more medications (ie have to pay £14.20) per month.

If your surgery issues scripts for 3 months supplies it may not be worth it.

You need to be aware that the rules have changed on who is and is NOT exempt from charges - those people on benefits may not necessarily be exempt from charges now, but people who have cancer or are on medication due to cancer treatment will be exempt from charges as of April 2009.

The rule is that you are NOT entitled to NHS prescription for medications arising from PRIVATE procedures if the medication is for a finite period (even if that finite period could be many years). Some surgeries will write an NHS prescription but you must realise that by doing so they are accepting clinical responsibility for the treatment and so if your GP refuses to do so he/she has every right. Please don't start shouting at me about how GPs are unfair/hypocritical when it comes to weightloss procedures because I'm only stating the facts.

FYI

When you take an NHS prescription to a pharmacy you are required by law to pay a set fee per item on the prescription. The fee at present is £7.10. This fee is paid to the NHS not the pharmacist (the NHS take the fee from the pharmacy). You have to prove exemption to avoid the charge and if you are not able to prove exemption you may very well be expected to pay, obtain a receipt and apply for a refund.

This does not apply to Private prescriptions. With a private prescription you are charged 'market' prices for the drug and can also be charged a 'dispensing fee' per item. Every pharmacy can charge whatever they choose for filling a private prescription & you really do need to 'shop around'.

Not sure if you have tried but most of the vits and things you need to take after your op you can buy cheaper off prescription...i.e from boots chemists or in tesco. I do this and my GP agreed it was much better to buy, he told me what i needed and thats what i have done. Its cost me approx £8 for my multivitamin, iron and calcium tablets and there is enough in the bottles for at least 2 months worth. The only thing i need to get from my GP is my fasttab and that i have to pay for on prescription at £7 odd.

Not sure if you have tried but most of the vits and things you need to take after your op you can buy cheaper off prescription...i.e from boots chemists or in tesco. I do this and my GP agreed it was much better to buy, he told me what i needed and thats what i have done. Its cost me approx £8 for my multivitamin, iron and calcium tablets and there is enough in the bottles for at least 2 months worth. The only thing i need to get from my GP is my fasttab and that i have to pay for on prescription at £7 odd.

What about B12 every 3 months ? you have to get that on prescription to !

I saw my surgeon today who said I needed to start on Calci chew and that I could get that prescribed from my gp, also I need sellenium which is n't availible on prescription (my levels were low in my last bloods) and I needed to go on liquid iron as I was n't tolerating the tablets I had on prescription. The iron was £7 for a months supply, the sellenium roughly £4 and the calci chew for a month was £25!!! Told them to leave the calcium cause I can get it on prescription free (we get working tax credits so have free prescriptions), no way I was going to pay that much for it. Deffinately makes it worth while seeing if you can get your gp to prescribe as much as possible if you get your scripts free

I get selenium prescribed Alia, its called selenase. Also liquid iron (ferrous fumerate) is available on script, make sure the GP specifies sugar free.

I get selenium prescribed Alia, its called selenase. Also liquid iron (ferrous fumerate) is available on script, make sure the GP specifies sugar free.

Ferrous Furmerate was the type of iron Bruce Willis had to drill through on the asteroid in the film Armageddon (1998) lol :8855:

lol always knew he wasn't very macho, having to drill through liquid :rolleyes:

lol always knew he wasn't very macho, having to drill through liquid :rolleyes:

Well he certainly looks the part - you probably have the liquidised version of the asteriod ! :8855:

Leaving on a jet plane, dont know when i'll be back again, leaving on a jet plane lol :D

Back