• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

prescription costs after bypass

going back to the B12 question......i dont have to have that....and not everyone does....each person is different.....though most multivitamns that you can get contain B12 and it is normally a full 100% RDA

As you only had your op at the beginning of Jan how do you know you wont need B12 ? or rather who's told you this ? as you wont know till at least your 6 month blood tests !
Also you'll find that you malobsorb, and B12 is one of the vitimins we cant absorb enough of, therefore it has to be administered intraveiniously as tablets are not absorbed into the body.

You need to check this with your consultant or health care advisor as B12 is probably the most important one of the lot !

I have already had many conversations with my surgeon and dieticians and my own GP, all have advised me that as long as i take my multivits which contains the B12 i will more than likely not have to have the injections. As they are injections that have to be given if necessary i would not have to pay for them as my GP would be giving them to me....i would imagine much the same for most people. Just to clarify....yes most of them are picked up at your 6months bloods but they are or should be monitored on a regular basis before 6 months post op.

I get selenium prescribed Alia, its called selenase. Also liquid iron (ferrous fumerate) is available on script, make sure the GP specifies sugar free.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm going to write these down and see what I can get on prescription, I'm going to ask about the protein shakes too.

Hey there, I have been reading this thread with interest as although I do not work, have to pay prescription charges. I too get the prepay certificate as I have lifelong health conditions that means a number of lifelong medications.

I already have to have the 3 monthly vit b12 shot and my gp afdministers it for me.

Liverbird, even though your gp adminiters it, they do not hold stocks of it as its shelf life is relatively low. What happens is you will be given a prescription by your gp for a 6 vials of the vit b12 . Unless you are exempt you have to pay for that prescription £7 aprox. You keep the vials with you and every 3 months book an appointment, take the vials with you and you gp administers it.

Just a word of warning, the b12 jab can be a little bit painful, so I recommend you ask to have it in your buttock instead of your arm, which is where they usually jab you with it unless you ask them otherwise.

Also you may find that in order for it to be absorbed properly you weill need to have 5mg of folic acid each day too.

Hope this helps.

hi,

my gp practice organises the script for me, and it's there waiting when i go for my jab. the pharmacy is attached to the clinic which might help, and my pre-payment card is registered there. they gp didn't mention paying when i arranged it though.

also, i don't find it hurts at all, and have mine in my arm. i'm extremely needle phobic but cope fine with it.

hi,

my gp practice organises the script for me, and it's there waiting when i go for my jab. the pharmacy is attached to the clinic which might help, and my pre-payment card is registered there. they gp didn't mention paying when i arranged it though.

also, i don't find it hurts at all, and have mine in my arm. i'm extremely needle phobic but cope fine with it.

I also have mine in my arm and didn't feel it one bit - i dont particularly like things going in my bum :D

:8855::8855::8855:

Wow Tesmarelda and Shelbel, you are lucky :) I'm used to needles too, I have to have blood tests roughly about 8 times a year and my veins collapse, they usually need to take 8 or 9 tubes of blood for testing. I also have the flu jab yearly which doesnt hurt but for some reason the b12 does.

swizzle, i can reassure you that as your weight goes down the blood tests get a lot easier! I'm the same, my record for one lot was 12 vials :eek: which is a nightmare as I hold my breath and 12 takes a while...cue fainting shelbell lol.

Back