• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Preparing for afterwards

yorkshiregirl78

I know after my bypass next week when I get home i will be on a liquard diet.
Tonight I have been thinking should i maybe prepare some meals for when i come out. I have made some potato,carrotts and brocolli,cauli and gravy i have blended it and put it in the blender then put into ice cube trays...

Did you have anything prepared?
What did you do?
Did you bulk make and freeze?

Please give me a few ideas of what you made too

thanks in advance X:D

Hi Yorkshiregirl and :welcome2:to mini's.Must admit I did'nt prepare anything as I knew I'd waste it. I'm a fussy buggar and the thought of frozen soup etc does nothing for me lol. I have to cook for the family so I make sure its something I can have a little of as well. Sorry but I've just been no use to you at all have I lol.:copon:Where abouts in Yorkshire are you from??

Hi Yorkshiregirl and to mini's.Must admit I did'nt prepare anything as I knew I'd waste it. I'm a fussy buggar and the thought of frozen soup etc does nothing for me lol. I have to cook for the family so I make sure its something I can have a little of as well. Sorry but I've just been no use to you at all have I lol.

Last edited:
Hi gaynor, call me Kez.
I'm from York. Not that far from you!
I only found this site the other day and it has helped so much.
I intend to use it forever now haha.

My trouble is there is only me and my daughter who lives on pasta to cook for so I thought I better get preparing. A mate of mine who had the bypass put the idea in my head as she said she froze food in icecube trays!!!

Hi - well you are organised!!!! I've been trying to get everything ready i will need when i come out of hospital but not got as far as freezing anything just ideas at the moment and one of my best friends makes the BEST homemade soups and i know she will be playing mother hen and spoiling me with them lol

No i think some of the things you are preparing sound good - but i know from the more experienced bypassers how protein is very important to us and getting enough protein into our limited diet on the liquidized or sloppies - and the importance of getting enough fluids also. Personally i wouldn't have much potato in your liquidized food/soup but the veggies are great.

Hope everything goes well for your op next week and looking forward to your weight loss journey on the losers bench x

P.S. The 3 most experienced bypassers on here are Nic (Phatgirl) Shel and Richard (Silversurfer) sorry forgot another one Paul - they will give you some great advice at any stage of your journey x

Aw thanks, I hope I'm on that losers bench in no time!!
A single mum with a 3 year old I guess I have to be prepared.
I did go easy on the potato its more 80% veg,5%gravy and the rest spuds lol..
Hmm protein, will have to think of a god protein meal then to blend!
Thanks for the advice.

Hope to chat to the experienced bypassers soon then!
Think I need to get in that chat room!

Hi Kez, ignore that last post. My laptop decided to throw a tantrum.There's alot that prepare food in icecube trays so you're ok but I would'nt do it in bulk because you'll get fed up of the same thing and waste it like I would.Get your self some protien shakes or slimfast in as well because they will make anice change from soup. Which hospital are you having your op at?? Are you private or NHS?? Not being nosey but there will be someone here thats probably had the same surgeon as you and they will be able to help you too.

When I say bulk I only have done 2 icecube trays because I thought of the waste. Also I had the veg in and needed using so i thought I'd be a good girl! (for a change:p)

Oh I have plenty of Slimfast in that's my pre-op liver shrinking diet it is horrendous but I'm sticking to it.

I will be at York Hospital I'm getting it done on the Nhs by Mr Wong! I'm hoping someone has had experience with him!
I was refused the bypass twice on the NHS and then when i applied for a loan and got the loan I was told they had reconsidered and I was allowed on on the nhs which was fantastic!

Thanks for your advice! :clap:

Great thread! Wish i could help, i am pre op myself. I would also love some advice on preparing for when i come home.

Good luck!

Hi there, I have put some links that should help you get ready for the big day. Hope this helps!

List of things you can do before hand to get ready:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67463-how-prepared-you.html

Some recipes you can use for post-op:
http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes-forum/66935-food-puree-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html

A type of protein supplement you can get:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/90078-protein-shots.html

Lots of different protein suppliments and why you need the:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67707-where-get-tasty-protein-supplements.html

A long thread detailing what you will need post-op at the hospital:
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/49040-what-did-you-really-take-into-hospital.html

Top tips for cupboard stocking, things that are handy:

1. Gripe water, peppermint tea & windeze for pos-op trapped wind. It can be very uncomfortable so having something on hand that helps is great.
2. Benefiber & Senna sachets just in case you have constipation. Many of us used the benefiber daily to prevent constipation. But the Senna sachets are handy if you do get constipated.
3. Low cal hot chocolate. Some people find it hard to drink cold drinks directly post-op so make sure that you have some warm alternatives to get your fluids in.
4. Powdered skim milk. You can add this to cold milk or add it to hot choc/tea/coffee to up your protein intake. It is a simple way to get double the nutrition in half the liquid!
5. Sugar-free squash, it makes all those fluids go down easier. Also you can mix it with some of those dreadful liquid meds you get sent home with in order to get them down your throat.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head, if I think of more I will let you know.

Nic;)

gr8 advice as always nic x

Thanks Nic i knew you would come along and help out - what would we do without you?? Well i hope we NEVER have to find out x

Back