• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private Company Recommendations?

JulesE

Hi all,

I won't be able to get treatment on the NHS because my PCT have such mad rulings, so I have to go private :mad:

So, I've been trying to research the local companies I can use to have a gastric band fitted.

Obviously I'm fretting about choosing a good one, so wondered if any of you could recommend a good one in the West Midlands area? :D I live in Dudley, so looking anywhere around the Black Country, Worcester, Birmingham etc.

I'd appreciate any recommendations - or warnings if there's somewhere I need to avoid!

I'll need to pay via some sort of payment plan, but assume all the weight loss companies offer this?

I'd be so grateful if any of you can offer me some advice/recommendations because it feels like a bit of a mine field at the moment & I need to get the ball rolling ASAP!

Hope you're all having a good day, :wavey:

xx

Hi Jules, I'm having my op on Saturday through The Hospital Group, I have had no problems with them so far, the woman Judy I deal with is excellent, I have her mobile to call her day or night if I need her

Im lucky enough that my husband is paying for this operation for me, its costing £6950 and an extra £500 for flights and accomodation (Hotel for my hubby while im in hospital) I did however check out the payment plans for you and they are quite expensive, the interest rate is anything from 14% upwards it would be much cheaper for you to take out a loan, I checked out www.moneysupermarket.com for you and you can get loans starting from 7.9% upwards so it would work out much cheaper for you to take out a loan rather than financing it through the private company you choose to have your op with

Good luck in whatever you decide to do x

Sorry meant to say, Im having my op at Dolan Park Hospital in Bromsgrove

Last edited:
Hi, I went through healthier weight who are based in Birmingham. They offer a fantastic package with aftercare for life.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. You can get payment plans but they are very expencive and you are better off either getting a bank loan or putting it on interest free credit cards.

I paid £6950 and get aftercare for life with unlimited fills (I am banded) for 12 months. The aftercare includes a bariatric nurse, dietician, 24 hour helpline, all support groups.

Good luck with you search.

hi Jules - I also went private through healthier weight and they we're and still are great, I think the general advice though for anyone considering private is to look at the after care pakage especially if your considering a band as fills and let downs can be expensive !

What you need to look at is with a band you could have it up to 15 years and beyond. It will need some adjustments the whole way through the process.

I have had 4 fills so far this year and I have hit the sweet spot of restriction (I have been lucky, some take many more to get there) but I now need to go once every six months to check that I am still ok.

So ok, the packages offer unlimited fills or defills for 12 months, what about the other 14 lots of 12 months that will come after that.

Private fills cost around £60-£80 without xray and more if with.

This could add up to £2k or more on top of original costs.

Also, if you are going with a loan of some kind, either it be from the provider or a bank, shop around for the best deal you can.

Good luck with your journey.:)

Hi Jules

I had mine almost 8 weeks ago at Dolan Park, Bromsgrove with the Hospital Group. I found them fine, but haven't had a lot in the way of aftercare with them. I've been great though so haven't really needed them anyway apart from my fill.

Hi JulesE

I had mine with The Hospital Group @Bromsgrove.

They were very good, and I paid £4950 on the no frills package.

The staff were lovely, and so was my surgeon.

xxx

Hi JulesE

I had mine with The Hospital Group @Bromsgrove.

They were very good, and I paid £4950 on the no frills package.

The staff were lovely, and so was my surgeon.

xxx

Wow Emma, that's the cheapest price I've heard of! When you say 'no frills', what exactly's covered? What after care/fills do you get etc?

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
xx

Hi JulesE,

The 'No fills' package includes, all your blood tests, your op, one night in hospital, 28 days aftercare/emergency number and that is it.

They arrange for your first fill + x ray ( I had mine yesterday) but that costs £125 per fill, and any subsequent fills you have to arrange by yourself, though they send you a pack with companies which offer fills etc, so i found it no major hardship.

The pre op literature was good, and I have been poring over it since my op, so cant fault the package for that.

I suppose the no frills package works brilliantly if nothing go's wrong.If my band were to ping off tomorrow, i would be fudged, as I would have to pay for the op again.

The beauty of an aftercare package is that you have that assurance that should anything go wrong, its not going to cst any extra money.

The above package + transort+ 1 yr aftercare+ unlimited 1st year fills @ Dolan Park costs £6950.

I researched my surgeon well, and as I was lying on the op table waiting to be put to sleep, I turned to him and said

'Look Doc, Ive bought the cheapy cheapy package, please do a god job, I cant afford to pay for it again ;)'

He laughed and promised me that he would tae good care of me, fingers crossed things stay as good as they are at the moment

Hope that helps love

Em xxxx

Hi

I had my band fitted with the WLS Group, they have a clinic in Birmingham for fills etc but if you are prepared to travel for your op I paid £5950 for the op in Preston. This price includes 2 years unlimited fills and defills (if necessary), however I think since my op the price has gone up a bit. A few people on here have signed up to their aftercare package after having the op with another company. Its still a good price/package and I cant fault my experience so far.

dont bother with THG aftercare package as there crap and never phone you when they promise they have let down alot of people.

I went with THG....I DO NOT recommend you use them as you get ZERO aftercare even though you pay for it :mad:

well said red x

Thanks SO so much for the posts everyone. Your thoughts are so invaluable - especially those letting me know who I should avoid!

Thanks again :)
xx

Hi Jules
Living in Scotland i can't help with advice on your area but i'm travelling to Manchester for my bypass it's a bit of a worry cause obviously after care is going to be really difficult but i have to go on a wing and a prayer as i chose to go there for the surgeon. I went through Marcus Landauer.I'm sure you will find one that's right for you.Good Luck with your search xx

HI. I had my band done with the hospital group. I payed for the basic package with no aftercare. I have been very pleasantly suprised as they have rang me on 2 occasions to see how i am getting on. they gave me all the info i have needed and would recommend them to my friends and family.

Back